Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2-Gun: Here to stay or Fad?

I think it's hear to stay, too many people want something more than just pistol but are afraid of shotguns despite the fact that I bet most of those same people have one for "home defense" and have no clue how to run them efficiently.

I used to be in the group. I've shot more shotgun in the last year and a half than my previous 34 years combined, WAY more. Shotgun is now one of my favorite guns, I think love the challenge of loading them, changing ammo types, even just manipulating them, it's way more challenging than any modern rifle/pistol.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two gun is the way of the future.

Generations that have never thought of the shotgun as anything but for birds are getting older. ARs (or variants) are used for HD and hunting now instead of shotguns and bolt actions.

Shotgun is dying, unless you're aiming for birds or breaching.

Generations that have never thought of the shotgun as anything but for birds are getting older. ARs (or variants) are used for HD and hunting now instead of shotguns and bolt actions.

Better not be dying! I just dropped $1100 on one!

Better not be dying! I just dropped $1100 on one!

Ha, no kidding! Shotgun is my favorite stage in 3 Gun!

The 3 gun matches I attend are just out of range distance wise for my pistol caliber carbine to reach out to accurately for the most part. The 2 gun match I am planning on shooting at this weekend is going to be more or less burner stages 50 yards and in. It gives me a great opportunity to use my Storm carbine I have pulling HD in a controlled dynamic environment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'd say just the opposite...shotgun is gaining some serious popularity! I just started shooting 3 gun and by far....without a doubt..the shotgun is my favorite part. it's all about shoot FAST FAST FAST....sloooow down for 2 slugs and then dump it!!!! I love those stages!!!!

I think the new loaders are also a big part of it's popularity...all of a sudden an average shooter can stuff twins into a shotgun pretty damn quick with very little practice.

and like it was stated above..the shotgun only matches are gaining in popularity too. next year I'm going to do my best to attend at least one and hopefully two of the shotgun only matches!!!!

so I'd say that anyone who says shotguns are fading away...most likely doesn't enjoy shooting shotguns :/

After shooting 2 gun pistol/carabine and 3 gun matches for a while now I find pistol only matches boring. I still attend uspsa matches but given a choice I would attend a 2 gun match over a pistol match any day.

Interesting thread; I'll add this - I'm a USPSA shooter, #a22whatever. I do it for fun but like to pretend I am competitive. My pistol ( production, limited) & rifle setup is GTG but another shotgun would be a world of hurt unless someone makes a rapid reload kit for winchester O&U shotguns. I'd LOVE to find a competition with rifle and pistol.

The shotgun part used to be fun until every 3 weeks a new method of faster loading comes in. When a 3 gun match comes down to how fast someone can load a shotgun, it stops being fun for me.

The shotgun part used to be fun until every 3 weeks a new method of faster loading comes in. When a 3 gun match comes down to how fast someone can load a shotgun, it stops being fun for me.

Sorry but this argument does not hold water. Of course things are going to advance in the game. You could say same thing when red dots and comps came out for pistols then we had to create separated divisions. Time marches on and things stagnating is what makes it boring.

Pat

Sorry but this argument does not hold water. Of course things are going to advance in the game. You could say same thing when red dots and comps came out for pistols then we had to create separated divisions. Time marches on and things stagnating is what makes it boring.

Pat

It holds water for me Pat. I'm the only one I'm concerned about.

Funny, I felt like the improvements in loading techniques and gear have done much more to level the playing field. Much better than in the old days with weak hand loading which required significantly more practice and dexterity. There is no way that the spread of the time to load between the average shooters and the top shooters hasn't decreased significantly.

nope it doesn't hold water...because last time I checked, some of the fastest guys out there is still loading the "OLD" way

he should be worrying about the day that Horner starts quad loading..... :surprise:

Edited by jriggs

If you don't like loading your shotgun, or the way that others load theirs, then don't shoot matches that require shotguns, or just don't shoot the shotgun and take the FTE's. Or put on a super bad ass 2 gun match that makes everyone want to be your friend. Lots of options!

nope it doesn't hold water...because last time I checked, some of the fastest guys out there is still loading the "OLD" way

he should be worrying about the day that Horner starts quad loading..... :surprise:

Sure it does. The guys at the top are at the top because of practice and determination. There are at least a dozen "Pros" who are at, or near the top because the new loading techniques gave them some time on loading that they did not otherwise have. Three of the top 10 do not twin or quad load, but they have put in the time to perfect their technique, in areas other than shotgun loading as well. Also, you have to look at the variety of stages and how stage designers have responded to the new systems. If you look at the winners of the shotgun only matches (other than open) I think you will find significantly more are loading with the new styles than the old styles...and that goes for the US and Europe.

the point I was making was someone said that "when a 3 gun match comes down to how fast someone can load a shotgun, it is no longer fun" and all I'm saying is that it's a "3 GUN" match...shotgun was really lagging behind in technology and companies like yours and a few others took the shotgun and really advanced what SHOULD and could be expected of it. you guys took a process and made it soooooo much easier...I think if more people gave the new loading system a chance they'd see how easy they are and they'd most likely find enjoyment in the 3 gun matches! it's called 3 gun for a reason and the guy who's most efficient with all 3 guns...wins.

I'm in no way dumping on 2 gun...I was just answering the question about it's popularity...and I have to say..i love shooting my shotgun the most.

Interesting, so you are saying it would be better if technology and technique stagnated?

Interesting, so you are saying it would be better if technology and technique stagnated?

Hmmm, I looked at what I wrote and I don't believe I ever used those terms. I said it stopped being fun for ME.

We have a big 3 gun group in this area. After it stopped being fun for ME, I stopped attending.

I would like to attend 2 gun matches though. Does that make me a bad person or did I just gore someone's ox?

I think if more people gave the new loading system a chance they'd see how easy they are and they'd most likely find enjoyment in the 3 gun matches! it's called 3 gun for a reason and the guy who's most efficient with all 3 guns...wins.

Yep! I converted at least 5 competitors from the old weakhand load to twins loading at the Pandemic. Thing that sucks is one of them placed ahead of me and switched after he had already beat me. :devil:

Had one guy jog to the Shooter's Source booth, buy gear and then jog back and shoot the all shotgun stage with NO practice. He came back later in the day beaming, he had posted his highest placement ever on that stage. Yep, we like it when our products get people MORE enjoyment from their hobby. That is the whole point for most of us. :cheers:

But I am going to run a few 2 gun matches in 2015...Pistol and Bolt OR just a carbine. We will see how it flies.

Edited by MarkCO

Hmmm, I looked at what I wrote and I don't believe I ever used those terms. I said it stopped being fun for ME.

We have a big 3 gun group in this area. After it stopped being fun for ME, I stopped attending.

I would like to attend 2 gun matches though. Does that make me a bad person or did I just gore someone's ox?

Have you tried a twin/quad loading system yet????

Not a bad person at all, and I'm all down with if it isn't fun don't do it. I'm just not sure I understand where you are coming from. I could understand "its too expensive", because it is. I could understand "I just don't like shotgun", thats cool. I guess I'm puzzled by the "things are getting better, and we are developng new ways of doing things, and thats not fun"

I suppose, everyone has a different way of defining fun or lack there of, but I'm just a bit surprised, thats all.