Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

True 1x variable rifle scopes for 3 gun

chp5

I was looking at Bear1142's Weaver 1-3x scope on his AR yesterday at our 3 gun match.

I really like the true 1x and the ability to turn up the magnification when needed.

What are other choices/opinions for a true 1x vaiable scope?

Leupold also makes the VX-II 1-4x20mm.

I know Benny Hill likes the Simmons 1-4x 20mm shotgun scope, but I can't find that model anywhere. I think Simmons discontinued it.

Thanks.

I think that feature is actually very rare.

I believe (not 100%) that the Us Optics SN-4 is a true 1x (-4x).

It costs a grip though and it apparently weighs a ton.

Thanks RS. I thought the Weaver as a true 1x.

I've got a Smith&Wesson 1.5-6 (made by Hakko out of Japan)on my FN/FAL and I love it, I am putting one on my wifes AR next. www.cdnninvestments.com sells them for $129.99+shipping. I saw them at the Bianchi cup last year and was impressed with them except for the price at the time(like $350) so I guese S&W wasn't selling them, clearence time. I've talked 3 gunners into getting them and they are not dissapointed. Long eye relief and a good reticle, duplex w/circle, clear glass, check it out.

I looked through a Pentax Zero-X/V SG in 1-4x today at a local sporting goods store. It seemed bright with good glass and, on 1x I didn't get any shadowing around the edges regardless of the eye relief.

Has anyone used one?

I have a Leupold Vari-X II 1-4x20 on my mini-14. I've been very happy so far. Bright, clear, and eye relief is not very critical.

Is it a true 1x? I have no idea, but the field of view when dialed all the way down is such that I can see a goodly portion of the barrel.

Fomeister,

Magnifying the target isn't the problem, it's your peripheral vision just outside the scope that is important. Transitioning from target to target is where you can pick up a lot of time on the up close/hose stages. If you can get a scope that allows you to keep your vision on the same plane looking through the scope and just outside of the scope, you'll appreciate how much faster you can go. There is no perfect 3 gun scope, yet. All have some pros & cons. If trijicon could make the accu-point into a true 1 power and not the 1.25 that it is, it would be a leading contender for the best all around scope (with a slight reticle design change.)

Benny,

Your right, having another power setting or two would have been real helpful in Reno, but it was the 15 mph cross-wind that was really kicking my ass.

Erik

There is no perfect 3 gun scope, yet. All have some pros & cons. If trijicon could make the accu-point into a true 1 power and not the 1.25 that it is, it would be a leading contender for the best all around scope (with a slight reticle design change.)

Erik

I agree, only if Leupold CQ/T has some more dots/graduations for use with std 5.56 ballistic. Icing on the cake would be a daylight reticle. Trijcon TR21R is oh-so-close, but not there.

Pacman,

the CQ/T is also limited by its 14mm objective size.  Your field of view is just too darn small with an objective that small. Almost everything else on the market is at least 20mm.

I believe the FOV issue only comes in to play when the scope is at a magnified setting. For the short range/CQB stage out to 50 yds or so, 1x is the setting of choice for me. For comparison purspose, I checked the view of the Leupold CQ/T at 1x plus a little bit to simulate 1.25x versus the Trijicon Accupoint at its minimum setting of 1.25, I could see more clearly with the CQ/T, probably due to better glass and quality of its coatings. I like these two the best and glad to have them both :rolleyes:

Thank you Bob, yes I agree there wouldn't be as much varity in life if we all had the same wants and needs. But I'm working on another project right now that requires a much larger power scope, but if I here of anyone looking for one I will send them them your way, what kind of price on it???

• 1 month later...

I thought that the CQT had better glass than the accupoint also,and also better than my SN4 which was a surprise.The good news is Loopy is going to have a improved CQT in the future and Nightforce has a 1X variable out this year with the Loopy being cheaper.