Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder to target for 9mm 147gr

JLeeCZ

I did do a search but just had to ask again. I am preparing for reloading. I have a lot of components purchased and buying powder when i can find it. I want to be sure that I am looking for "the right stuff'. I am finishing my bench and then will order the RL550B here. I have purchased quite a few 147gr RN from Xtreme, mainly for availability, and have backorders at Prec Delta for the same in FMJ(thinking of ordering the TC bullit also). I have read quite a few opinions on the 147gr and want to make sure I am after the right powder. I have a couple of pounds of Power Pistol(excess flash irrelevant to me) so far and am waiting for 231. I want to develop a good, accurate target load for practice and IPSC production gun using a 4.5" XDM. How can I be most successful with regards to powder selection, given I can find it?

Edited by XDMer

231/hp38 is a good choice. I've used it, but prefer WSF. 3.4 grains gets ne 880 fps from a 4.25 inch M&P with plated or lead 147 grain loads; very little smoke with lead. 851 is a 125 PF, and the WSFload is soft and clean.

• 2 weeks later...

I may have limited myself by getting so many 147gr Xtreme RN bullets in my inventory but really didn't know how to get started. Have read that a 147gr can be a nice shooter with the right powder. The Power Pistol may not be the best choice but it is what I found so I grabbed it. Like the min PP charge weight in Lyman as it should lessen the probability of a double charge. After a little while, i will get the caliber conversion for the 550 and start with 231 in the .45 saving the 700x until I get more comfortable with reloading. My goal is to reload for fun and ammo availabilty and no for a cost savings. I will not use reloads for carry but rather rely on factory defense ammo. Guess that may have affected the decision to load the 147's since I use that weight for carry. Thought the smart thing was to stick with a weight and learn how to shoot it, 147's for 9 and 230's for .45. Read good reviews about Xtreme, they were available, so started there. A little nervous about getting Zeros, Montana Gold, etc. or any lead until I get some loading under my belt. Would like to try these but wonder about my consistency with regards to tweeking dies for different bullits. Newbie thinking that's probably unwarranted. Guess I want to keep it simple at the beginning. Good target loads for practice, accuracy and local IDPA matches is what I want to work towards as I begin loading. Thanks for your advice and help.

Edited by XDMer

A little nervous about getting Zeros, Montana Gold, etc. or any lead until I get some loading under my belt.

Zeros and Montana Gold are jacketed bullets, not lead. Very accurate and easy to load. They are the best bullets but a little more pricey than lead or moly, or even plated like the Extreme.

Mike

A little nervous about getting Zeros, Montana Gold, etc. or any lead until I get some loading under my belt.

Zeros and Montana Gold are jacketed bullets, not lead. Very accurate and easy to load. They are the best bullets but a little more pricey than lead or moly, or even plated like the Extreme.

Mike

Actually went ahead and ordered the Zero 230gr .45 while available. Will use the Xtreme 147's I have for 9mm since I will be learning with the 9 and loading at the lighter charges.

Edited by XDMer

4 grains Winchester 231 under a MG 147 CMJ = PF of about 130 out of a Beretta 92 @ 10ft from the chrono @ 70 degrees.

3.9G = PF 127.5

4.15g = PF a hair over 135

Nice feel and very very accurate. Especially the w 4 grains

In case you ever decide to get some MG's

Edited by bajadudes

4 grains Winchester 231 under a MG 147 CMJ = PF of about 130 out of a Beretta 92 @ 10ft from the chrono @ 70 degrees.

3.9G = PF 127.5

4.15g = PF a hair over 135

Nice feel and very very accurate. Especially the w 4 grains

In case you ever decide to get some MG's

MG's are just so darned expensive compared to other FMJ's like Zero, PD if you can find them of course. I do hear a lot of praise for MG though. Edited by XDMer