Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

another cracked slide... number 2 for me

Mat Price

This was a sti slide I don't think it's anything more than they just can't take the abuse an open gun puts on them. There is a thread with a bunch of people with cracked slides the common denominator is open lol. I will say this this is two differant sti slides on two differant guns that i have cracked soooo....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Edited by Mat Price

Matt, well that sucks

I had 2 slide crack in a month, they were both about 10 ounces, and had about 70,000 rounds plus

Thru each of them

Question

How light is your slide

It doesn't look extremely light from the pics

Also, which brand recoil spring and do you run a shock buff

I've gotten kinda paranoid about the whole subject, when I see pics of all the fancy lighting cuts in slides,

I just wonder how long will they last

• 5 months later...

Another plus for STI and their warranty. I bought a second hand open gun a little over a year ago, and after only about 3,000 rounds from my hand, the slide cracked at the ejection port. Around the first of this year, I contacted STI and they said they would cover it under warranty, even though the gun was actually sold as a short block kit, not a complete gun. On Monday, I received the new slide, completely machined and ready for fitting. It took a lot longer than I had hoped to get the replacement, but in the end, they covered it and I am happy. Now, I just need someone who can fit it and chrome it...

Hello: They will only warranty the slide if it weights more than 10.5ozs. I had one here that was under 10.5ozs that a well known builder made and they would not warranty it. So if it is over 10.5ozs you are ok. STI is a great company to deal with and I can see there point about the slides. Thanks, Eric

There was really no reason for them not to warranty bjinpass slide. Sti cut it to start with. My two slides on the other hand was cut by well known smith's. But Eric is right both my slides one of which was cut for a Shuman hybrid bbl with full rib and tritop still weighed 11 oz. I can see them not wanting to warranty a 10 oz or less slide. Unless they cut it.

Btw I have not had to mail either of my slides to them. I took very detailed photos and video of the slide being weighed

Sti stands behind their products

Here in holland we also had some slide`s that cracked all of them sti and also all of them on open guns with tri topping .

My smith gave me the advice to use a caspian slide with no tri topping ( mine is flat topped) .

Here in holland we also had some slide`s that cracked all of them sti and also all of them on open guns with tri topping .

My smith gave me the advice to use a caspian slide with no tri topping ( mine is flat topped) .

Are Caspian slides better/crack less than other brands?