Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New DD alpha ShotMaxx Timer

Ken_Bird

I love my shot maxx just curious on how I put it in spy mode while shooting? So I can take my times down at our local shoots

How to use Spy Mode:
- In Timer Mode, press the Set button (9 times) until you reach Spy = OFF. Turn it on by press the up or down buttons to set it to ON.
- Press the Mode button to return to Timer Mode (exit settings).
- SHOTMAXX will show SPY - -
- Press the Start button. The display will show SPYon which means that the Spy Mode has been activated.
You now have 3 seconds to assume the start position. After 3 seconds SHOTMAXX is ready to start upon a sharp movement of your hand. Once it has been activated, the display will show SPY only.
Once you make a sharp movement with your hands (reacting to the RO’s start beep) your shotmaxx will start running and record all shots being fired.
Hope it helps,
Eli.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eli,

Any idea when applications that will allow transfer of data from the SHOTMAXX to a phone/tablet will be available? I'd be happy to be a tester for any programs that come along.

I used it this weekend and really like it, once the ability to save info comes along it will be a really valuable training tool.

Bill

Eli,

Any idea when applications that will allow transfer of data from the SHOTMAXX to a phone/tablet will be available? I'd be happy to be a tester for any programs that come along.

I used it this weekend and really like it, once the ability to save info comes along it will be a really valuable training tool.

Bill

Hi Bill,

The very first iPad app has been released and it is called Steel Scoring - available on iTunes free. Check it out.

You will need to update your timer's firmware though, I will upload the files tomorrow (it resolves a freeze up bug we found earlier which relates to the BT).

Or email me directly at eli@doublealpha.biz and I will send you the file.

Thanks,

Eli.

That is great news. any word on an IOS version for iphone too?

We are working on a new Shotmaxx-Trainer app for iPhone/iPad which allows you to record your training sessions or for that matter match stages including photos, scoring, commenting, FB posting etc.

Should be made available in the next 4-6 weeks I am hoping.

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the driver in my windows vista laptop but when I click on the update button the screen acts weird, blinks on and off. Theres a tip here to unzip the driver file but have no idea how.

This timer is not difficult to operate but the manual is lacking in few important details that it made the usage look cumbersome. Same w/ the online instructions on how to upgrade its FW. Maybe DAA assumed (erroneously) that all shooters are computer wizards? Ive read these whole thread and lot of querries could have been addressed w/ a good manual of insttuctions. My 2c.

Hello everyone,

we do have firmware update instructions on the website which can be downloaded in a PDF format. Nevertheless, I am attaching it here.

Installation of new SHOTMAXX firmware (windows), detailed steps:
1. Check if your system is 32 or 64 bit. This determines which files you need to run. Files ending with x64 are for a 64bit machines while files ending with
x86 are for 32bit machines.
2. Download the CP210x Windows VCP driver and install the proper 32 or 64 bit driver for your system.
3. Download the Windows “BurnShotMaxx_Win_xx.zip” app and Unzip the Zip file into a single folder on your PC.
4. Run the “setup.exe” and follow the instructions. The installer may prompt you to install Microsoft’s .NET 4 software if needed.
After it has finished installing you can delete the “BurnShotMaxx_Win_nn” folder. It will automatically launch the app after installing, so skip to step 6.
Note: Once installed, if there is a new update available, it will prompt you to update when you launch the app.
5. From the Start menu, choose Programs -> Double-Alpha Academy BV -> BurnShotMaxx to launch the program.
6. Connect SHOTMAXX to the PC via the USB cable and the dialog box should now show “Found”.
7. Click “Browse” to select the new Firmware file that you have download from the Double-Alpha website (you may need to unzip the file so it ends with
.txt) and then click on the “Update Firmware” button. Please wait while the software is updated. DO NOT unplug the watch until finished (it should not take
longer than 10 seconds).
Once complete, the watch should display the new version of software on the screen. You can unplug your SHOTMAXX at that point. However you may
want to allow the Shotmaxx to fully recharge. Press the Mode button to show the Charging screen and allow the ShotMaxx to reach 100% for full capacity.
Please note:
1. Steps 1 to 4 need to be done one time only per computer. In future updates on the same computer, you can skip these steps and go straight to step 5.
-----
You need to download the firmware zip file, unzip it on your computer and use that file for the Shotmaxx firmware updater program.
How to unzip a file:

What's a good setting for the spy mode? I am getting false reads like two out of five stages. I just like to know mostly sensitivity and filter settings everyone is using?

Settings depends on the shooting range. that said, since you are using Spy Mode which means that you time yourself - you can set the timer as follows:

- Sensitivity: Min (or Airsoft if you use airsoft).

- Sensor: Acc

No other setting is needed.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Eli.

I already tried those instruction but got nowhere.

The driver program page dont have the option for 64 or 32 bit system as instructed. Or maybe I couldnt locate it. So I downloaded the one for my Vista. But everytime I open the program, my screen blinks on and off contineously. Somethings very wrong here.

BoyGlock, glad your problem got sorted, but, and please don't take offence, unzipping folders and installing basic updates is not really a double alpha responsibility. those are pretty much just basic computer literacy skills these days. you could have figured the unzip thing just by googling it and probably the other issues too. your problem with not finding 2 versions of the driver was not reading the instructions properly. the instructions said "download the CP210x Windows VCP driver then install the 32 or 64 bit version as appropriate. ie the download contains both versions...

I know everyone has a different computer skill level, but the instructions were actually pretty precise and the level of assumed knowledge not that high.

anyway, I am glad you got the help you needed and are now also clued up on zip files as a bonus. :)

BoyGlock, glad your problem got sorted, but, and please don't take offence, unzipping folders and installing basic updates is not really a double alpha responsibility. those are pretty much just basic computer literacy skills these days. you could have figured the unzip thing just by googling it and probably the other issues too. your problem with not finding 2 versions of the driver was not reading the instructions properly. the instructions said "download the CP210x Windows VCP driver then install the 32 or 64 bit version as appropriate. ie the download contains both versions...

I know everyone has a different computer skill level, but the instructions were actually pretty precise and the level of assumed knowledge not that high.

anyway, I am glad you got the help you needed and are now also clued up on zip files as a bonus. :)

Right, guess Im not as literate as most. Im glad they helped me thru.

But even reading and understanding the instructions took me a lot of work to finally figure them out. Im more in the 'net w/ apps readily used than other computer tasks. Yes now I know howto unzip :)

On another note, whats w/ the Filter Settings? How does it affect the timer performance? See my gripe were not without basis. The Accelerometer settings were in the manual but how it works was not mentioned. You have to view the online video to know it. And/or read thru this great forum to know it. Another one is the diagram of the icons, while detailed enough, it does not label the xternal buttons in the manual, ie, Mode, Set, Rev, etc. The first time I read the manual, I had to squint HARD to the tiny labels for these buttons in the timer. Im far sighted w/ reading glasses and had a hard time reading these labels. Im not bad w/ manuals and electronic devices but this one intimedated me at first. But after painstaking learning its usage, it was as simple as any timer I used even w/ its great features. This is why I made those comments above. And Im not alone in this. Read thru previous 5 pages of this topic and see. I guess my point is, those manuals (usage and FW) does not do justice to the great features of this device ;)

Edited by BoyGlock

fair enough. filter settings is used to filter out unwanted echo shots (or loud shots from nearby that are not yours). it's basically a time delay. so within that delay it will not register any sounds as a shot. since we know most people cannot shoot a split (in IPSC type shooting) much less than about 0.2 seconds then you can safely set it at around 0.10 knowing that will help it avoid echoes of your shots but not cut out any real shots.

Right, guess Im not as literate as most. Im glad they helped me thru.

But even reading and understanding the instructions took me a lot of work to finally figure them out. Im more in the 'net w/ apps readily used than other computer tasks. Yes now I know howto unzip :)

On another note, whats w/ the Filter Settings? How does it affect the timer performance? See my gripe were not without basis. The Accelerometer settings were in the manual but how it works was not mentioned. You have to view the online video to know it. And/or read thru this great forum to know it. Another one is the diagram of the icons, while detailed enough, it does not label the xternal buttons in the manual, ie, Mode, Set, Rev, etc. The first time I read the manual, I had to squint HARD to the tiny labels for these buttons in the timer. Im far sighted w/ reading glasses and had a hard time reading these labels. Im not bad w/ manuals and electronic devices but this one intimedated me at first. But after painstaking learning its usage, it was as simple as any timer I used even w/ its great features. This is why I made those comments above. And Im not alone in this. Read thru previous 5 pages of this topic and see. I guess my point is, those manuals (usage and FW) does not do justice to the great features of this device ;)

A full user manual is on its way. Give us a week or so to upload. It is being proof-read right now.

Thanks,

Eli.