Best 1911 9mm for competition

anderson22

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hoping I can piggyback on this great thread with a request for a recommendation from you 9mm single-stack experts

The wife wants a 9mm 1911, and she's happy to let me compete with it, so I'm thinking single stack minor will be a lot of fun. Money's not a huge concern, under 2k should be fine, but it seems the only 9mm 1911 with a 10+1 capacity (if I'm going to shoot minor PF, the only advantage is max possible capacity, correct?) is the very nice S&W posted earlier in the thread by FreeJersey.

Are there other choices that are as good or better with the same capacity? The reason I'm concerned about the S&W is that I was told is has some Schwartz (sp?) Safety System, and I'll have to disassemble the rear sights just to take down the gun for cleaning, and then when I re-assemble the gun, my sights might be off. Is there any truth to this? Is it a big deal? Any other gotchas in buying a 9mm 1911 for single-stack minor competition?

Thanks for any tips

Edited by ummm

I am using an STI Trojan with Dawson mags. There is nothing I don't like about it and it is super reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Took the words right out of my mouth…all mine needed to make it perfect for me was a trigger job from Bobby at Freedom Gunworks.

:cheers:

Curtis

under 2k should be fine, but it seems the only 9mm 1911 with a 10+1 capacity (if I'm going to shoot minor PF, the only advantage is max possible capacity, correct?) is the very nice S&W posted earlier in the thread by FreeJersey.

Are there other choices that are as good or better with the same capacity? The reason I'm concerned about the S&W is that I was told is has some Schwartz (sp?) Safety System, and I'll have to disassemble the rear sights just to take down the gun for cleaning, and then when I re-assemble the gun, my sights might be off. Is there any truth to this? Is it a big deal? Any other gotchas in buying a 9mm 1911 for single-stack minor competition?

Thanks for any tips

You should be able to find some pretty nice 9mm 1911's in your price range. Two that come immediately to mind are the STI Trojan or Sentry. My understanding is all 9mm 1911's have a 10-rnd capacity using standard 9mm mags. Tripp, Wilson, Dawson, Checkmate... take your pick. You are correct in that if you shoot Single Stack in minor PF you can load your mag to 10 rnds -but it must still fit the box (which if shooting 9mm it will unless you get mags with humongeous basepads). The pistol with an unloaded mag must also weigh less than 43 oz (some do, some need to be put on a diet).

Not sure where you got the information about needing to remove the rear sight for cleaning if your pistol has the Swartz firing pin safety, first I've heard of that. I will say that if you want to remove the Swartz firing pin safety you need to remove the rear sight to get to the plunger, block and spring. Some people don't like the Swartz or Series 80 firing pin safeties. None of the STI pistols have this ummm, feature.

If you're looking for a 1911 to shoot USPSA's single stack division, I say get any one of the STI 1911's that have a bushing barrel and a short dust cover (ie Trojan or Sentry). Buy 6-7 magazines, 6 mag pouches, belt, holster and let 'er rip. Maybe get a magwell, sights that help you see better, and a trigger job. Later if you feel like your equipment is holding you back you can look at upgrading to something you think will be better for you.

Oh, and if shooting minor... shoot a lot of A's!

Edited by 2MoreChains

Thanks, 2morechains. I didn't even know a magwell was an option in SS. Good to hear about the magazine capacity. It really threw me when looking at, e.g., the STI USPSA model, and seeing that it had a capacity of 9+1 instead of 10+1.

I assumed since it was clearly dedicated to competition in USPSA, they would have maximized the capacity, hence my confusion began. Now that I hear magwells are legal, I have to wonder why they don't offer one as an option, since it's a gamer gun.

Can I ask...why do you recommend a short dust cover? Thanks again

A 9+1 capacity 1911 sounds like one chambered in .40SW. Typcially .45acp is 8+1, 9mm is 10+1 unless you start getting into extended magazines.

Magwells are legal for USPSA's Single Stack division. The limitation they do impose is the pistol with unloaded mag inserted musy weigh less than 43 oz and must fit in the "box". Most of the magwells out there are aluminum so that doesn't add much to the overall weight and most of them are able to fit inside the "box". Why the STI USPSA model doesn't come with a magwell... durned if I know. But betcha if they put on one, some people won't like the one that comes with it and will opt for a different brand. So not providing one helps keep the cost down. (I just made that up, so no idea if it is true...)

Its not so much what I recommend as what the rulebook allows as far as things like dust cover length. Bear in mind, the gun needs to make weight, and a FLDC 1911 is going to be pretty hefty... good chance that it will be more than the max allowable. As far as things such as lightrails on the frame, you can have one but it can't be full length (3.25" long IIRC). Appendix D5 in the rulebook has all that info.

Hard Chromed Trojan, trigger job by a good friend and an AFTEC extractor. No issues for 20,000 rounds. No issues, meaning ABSOLUTELY NONE. Runs great with Tripp Cobra mags (another great supplier, just call) . 1.15 oal 147'S with Titegroup or Solo 1000.

I shoot a lot of USPSA and have never heard of STI denying help to a shooter with a problem with his gun. Including worn out barrels.

Just MHO

Joe

TY65813

Just Ordered a Trojan as a backup to my Springfield SS 1911 9mm.

Can't wait to get it in and put it through the paces. I have been a Springfield and Para guy for a long time. Will not buy another Para and Springfield's SS 1911 in 9mm is on backorder. I will keep the Springfield on backorder for one can always use another toy, right?

This will be my first STI - I hope it is the right direction.

A very well timed thread for me. I am going to shoot 9mm single stack this spring through area 1 as I am trying to protect a wrist with some tendinitis. The 9 SS should be the softest shooting gun in USPSA. I plan to call shooters connection in the morning and order a Spartan. I bought a Trojan .40 and love it, so with money being important I will try the Spartan. I have all quality internals sitting in my shop (except a safety). Brazos trigger group, SV trigger bow, Dawson magwell. All I need is some grips as thick as the old burner grips. I move the one set I have around to my .40 and .45.

This - 9mm Scarab by Predator Tactical, recoils like a 22.

That's a really nice-looking gun, hvsmith

Can I ask you...is that gun allowed to compete in Single Stack, or is that a Limited / L-10 gun that shoots minor PF?

Scarab is a 9mm widebody gun for 3 gun/limited or L10 shooting minor power factor. Matt has 2 5 inch Scarabs for sale right now and 1 6 inch model for sale as well. Just happen to know the inventory of these as we just redid their insurance for the year.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...