Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how many times do you reload your 5.56/.223 cases?

jaredr

for folks who reload for their AR and keep track of their own brass, keen to see how many times people are willing to reload the same cartridge?

I've got some range pickup brass (i.e. already fired at least once when I got it) that i've run through my rifle once (so it has now been fired at least 2x). I'm using 25 gr SMP735 which produces about 3100fps from an 18" barrel. Wondering whether I give this batch a cleaning and run it through one more time or bin it for scrap.

for folks who reload for their AR and keep track of their own brass, keen to see how many times people are willing to reload the same cartridge?

I've got some range pickup brass (i.e. already fired at least once when I got it) that i've run through my rifle once (so it has now been fired at least 2x). I'm using 25 gr SMP735 which produces about 3100fps from an 18" barrel. Wondering whether I give this batch a cleaning and run it through one more time or bin it for scrap.

I load them until the brass splits or the case separates or the primer pocket will no longer hold a primer. For serious matches I use once fired brass.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Even with picking up all the brass during practice, I usually lost the brass during matches before the cases wore out. Although I found that some Federal cases couldn't be reloaded more than once before the some of the primers would come out when fired.

concern is that i'm running the majority of this ammunition through suppressed rifles and i've seen rounds keyhole from cartridges that split their neck during firing. while I'd love to get some reassurance that I can reload these cartridges at max pressure 3, 4 times or more, I think the writing on the wall here is that if I care about how the round performs (and I certainly do if I am firing it through my own suppressors) then I should reload once and leave it for scrap.

for circumstances where I'm not that concerned about ammunition performance (e.g. shooting unsuppressed, don't care about the occasional case head separation, keyhole, or inconsistent velocity due to brass failing while the round's going off) then maybe i'll try and get a few more cycles out of that brass.

• 3 weeks later...

I reload mine 3-4 times, and then turn them into 300 BLK cases that I use for subsonic rounds. Easily getting a total of 10 (even up to 15!) loadings from one set of brass. Mind you the subs develop only 1/3-1/2 the pressure of a decent 223 load.

If I was keeping them for 223, I would load 5-6 times and then discard. Just not daring enough to find out just when that case head separation will be...

I load to failure, and usually detect it somewhere along the way from range-scrounging to final loading. I do not use rifle (or pistol/shotgun for that matter) reloads for "serious matches" as I only run factory for that. I will run reloaded pistol/rifle for less than serious matches. I do not reload shotgun.

69s and 77s get loaded in new or once fired LC then I use that brass for 50 or 55 NBTs. 55 grain FMJs get loaded in processed and inspected commercial brass. By the time I hit 3 or 4 loadings, it has been to a major with lost brass so I don't think I have ever gone to 5 loadings on a case.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The amount of reloads from a cartridge case is based on chamber pressure meaning how hot you load and how much you bump your shoulders back during resizing.

You will get "MANY" more reloads using a Hornady cartridge case headspace gauge and accurately measuring your fired cases and adjusting your dies for minimum shoulder bump.

Below, I prefer the Hornady gauge over the Wilson and RCBS gauges because you only need to buy "ONE" gauge instead of one gauge for each caliber.

Picture009_zpsa5f7e7dd.jpg

I now use my Wilson gauges for pen holders and paper weights since I bought the Hornady case gauge.

penholder_zps4213e7d3.jpg

You can also get far more reloads from your cases by throwing your bent paper clip in the trash and get a RCBS case mastering gauge. With this gauge you can measure case stretching and thinning in the base area in thousandths. And again this is in relation to cartridge case headspace verses chamber headspace meaning shoulder bump.

RCBSCMG_zpsb95d3710.jpg

There are "NO" set numbers for how many times a cartridge case can be reloaded. And the number will vary depending on how you care for and treat your cases.