Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New gun in 38S or 9mm?

DrLove

When I decided to order my open gun, Matt Burkett asked me what caliber I wanted and I told him "9mm." He asked me why, and I told him it's because I'm so heavily invested in 9mm right now that I can't really afford to buy a 38S/SC gun and afford to buy a bunch of brass, too. He understood and explained it's been PT's experience that the 38Sx guns feed more smoothly and reliably than the 9mm guns do, by and large.

If I'd won the lottery before I ordered the gun (or if I won one right now), I'd go with a 38Sx, because I'd be able to afford the expense. But I can't, so I went with a 9mm.

I live pretty close to a fellow that has been playing this game for a long time and knows just about everyone in the industry. The question I had was the same as the OP. In a 2011, 9 or 38xxx. He brought up a good point. The 2011 platform was built for two calibers, 40 s&w and 38 super. To run them in any other caliber is possible but modifications are needed and reliability is inconsistent from gun to gun and magazine to magazine. I didn't listen and got a 9mm 2011 open gun and the magazines were a pain in the backside. I still shoot a 9major open gun but it's in a CZ, which is made for 9mm. This game is so much more fun when your gun runs. :)

Actually, he 2011 platform was designed for 38 super. We have learned how to run them in other calibers:

.40 Load long 1.180-1.235

.45 Load shorter = under 1.235

9mm Use 1st generation SVI Magazines or deal with a lot of tuning / spacer/ feed timing issues related to STI magazines and 9mm

If you look at internal case volume variance in 9mm brass, add that all 9mm MAJOR loads are compressed = you should be sorting brass by head stamp and internal volume for 9 MAJOR. A safe load in a commercial case can be a grenade in a NATO spec case. If you are not sorting 9X19mm brass by head stamp and internal volume you are at risk for pressure issues and it will come to you sooner or later.

I chose to pick up my .38SC brass and buy replacements as needed instead of sorting 9X19mm brass by head stamp and internal volume.

I have:

2 ea open .38SC pistols

1 Limited .38SC pistol (5”) with a spare 9X19mm barrel

1 Limited 9X19mm pistol (6”) with a spare 4.25” top end for IDPA

All 15 1st generation SVI Magazines I have run 100% with either .38SC or 9X19mm in all my gun configerations.

Out.

2011BLDR

Edited by 2011BLDR

Hello: 9mm major works just fine if the gun is built right. Not all 9mm loads are compressed loads and are safe if using the correct powders. I use SVI and STI tubes and have no problems with either for 9mm. I load to 1.170" with a 115 bullet. If you can get most of your brass back it is a wash on which one you use. If you are getting 50% of your brass back then I would use 9mm. Thanks, Eric

Dr. you can get 38 SC from Starline brass.

38 SC also has a stronger case wall. Pardon me, it's been a long day 9x23 SC has a thicker case wall.

But if you want I have a nice 9MM open for sale in the classifieds!!! :roflol::cheers:

38SC is thicker through the web than Super is....hence the lower case capacity.

38 SC also has a stronger case wall. Pardon me, it's been a long day 9x23 SC has a thicker case wall.

But if you want I have a nice 9MM open for sale in the classifieds!!! :roflol::cheers:

Hence lesser powder for the same PF? (vs Super)

Which means lesser gas to work the comp?

Isnt it a bit counter to what most want in their loads for comped guns?

Although volume is a consideration it is not much of one as the difference is so minute. Especially when making the comparison to 9. The more important factors are powder type and burn rate.

Although volume is a consideration it is not much of one as the difference is so minute. Especially when making the comparison to 9. The more important factors are powder type and burn rate.

Shooting SC also gives you the possibility of another round in a big stick.

So, based on the quote below (sorry, I messed up the quote function), how do you do that sort? I'm new to the 9Major game and would welcome advice.

--snip--If you look at internal case volume variance in 9mm brass, add that all 9mm MAJOR loads are compressed = you should be sorting brass by head stamp and internal volume for 9 MAJOR. A safe load in a commercial case can be a grenade in a NATO spec case. If you are not sorting 9X19mm brass by head stamp and internal volume you are at risk for pressure issues and it will come to you sooner or later.