Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primary Arms 1-6 Scope

Alaskapopo

Okay, I got to shoot it today.

I mounted it on a PA Extended Deluxe—with the longer eye relief, I think an extended mount is pretty much mandatory— and it went on my pinned 14.5" mid-length. As it happens the ACSS reticle is calibrated for a 100yd zero...except for 14.5" barrels. Yes, the included documents give you zeroing instructions for barrel lengths from14.5" to 20", and for M193, M855, and several commercial .223 loadings, and I got to use my preferred 50/200yd zero with this scope.

I gave it a rough bore sighting and went straight to 200 yards with Hornady Steel Match 55gr .223. It took me about five shots to dial it in so that I was hitting point-of-aim for 200yds, which is the lower half of the center dot. I was consistently center punching 8" steel plates at 200yds. I then moved immediately to 300yds. With no chrono or other reference data, I simply put the 300yd aim point (top of the Christmas Tree below the main horseshoe) in the middle of a big 18" steel plate and hit it just left of center. There was some wind blowing, so I wasn't too concerned about the left/right variance. I kept going at 300yds on 18", 12", and 8" plates and kept ringing them just fine.

I then ran some Prvi Partisan 75gr BTHP through it, just for fun. Same aim points worked for 200yds and 300yds (though the heavy bullets were an inch or two lower at the farther range).

Lastly, I went to Shoot-n-Cs at 50 yds to tweak the windage. Sure enough, I needed about 2 clicks of Right to get on bullseye, and then I put a 5 round group into a cloverleaf over the bullseye.

I like the scope. :) No opportunity to go farther than 300yds yet—and I never really intended this particular rifle to go beyond that anyway—but the reticle works as advertised out that far. Glass was good, reticle was crisp, and in bright daylight the max illumination still made the reticle an identifiably brick-red hue that contrasted with blask. It's no Firedot, but there is color to it. Illumination level seems comparable to the Bushnell 1–6.5x scopes.

Edited by CJW

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got my mount today, mounted up, zeroed at 100,

moved out to 300, Standing rifle propped on a cross bar, I wondered why my first 3 were so low ? ?

I was using the 200 yd hold :blush:

Switched to the 300yd hold, next 3 were the top ones

9xEjymvl.jpg

Then I tried the plate rack off hand at 75-80 yds, 6" plates , 6 plates - 7 shots

Tried the 4" plate rack, same distance, not so good, 4 plates - 8 shots :huh:

Shooting a match this weekend, I'll see how she runs

I shot this the other day.. (got it Wednesday)

Very nice scope for the money, it's on my 16" backup/night match rifle

I think it has better eye relief than my Vortex 1x6

Need to get a throw lever on it, the adjustment is pretty tight

@ Steve: what do you mean?

@ Hayden: Yea I am facing the same problem... I got the MGM one... And it's crap at least for this lever. Can't get it tight enough, to much wiggling.

I have one order the other one from Breakaway... We shall see.

The one from PA is out of stock :(

Riiiight... How the heck am I supposed to measure that?!

Go to the range with dots of various sizes, i.e. 2, 4, 6, 8 MOA and set then up at 100 yards and see how big the dot in the scope looks compared to the dot targets...which dot size is it closest to.

What is the size of the center dot ???

I believe it is 2 MOA.

I'd agree with 2, it's much bigger than my Eotech 1 moa dot.

Completely covers the red on a Dirty Bird 8" bull's-eye at 100yds.

The red is just over 1 3/8" dia.

Remember also that it's a SFP scope. What magnification it is set on makes a difference as to the size of the dot. We'd need to ask Dimitri what magnification it is calibrated to. Most likely 6x but it could possibly be 4x

Edited by tofst4u2no

What is the size of the center dot ???

I believe it is 2 MOA.

I'd agree with 2, it's much bigger than my Eotech 1 moa dot.

Completely covers the red on a Dirty Bird 8" bull's-eye at 100yds.

The red is just over 1 3/8" dia.

The dot on the Eotech is not 1 moa its 1/3 moa. Its advertised improperly.

Pat

I am sticking with 2MOA (at 6x). That's what I recall from the reticle pamphlet that came with the scope, and that's what my Mark I eyeball tells me, too. The dot did not quite cover up an 8" plate at 200yds when I zeroed. There's an informational video on the ACSS reticle over on YouTube that PA put out; it should confirm the 2MOA size (or confirm that I am full of it; either way... :) ).

All the literature says 1MOA dot. I couldn't measure it because the damn range I went to to zero it wouldn't let me use M193 at 100yd! Ugh...

Anyways, if you play with the focus, it will change the magnification a little. My focus is screwed nearly all the way in, and that seems to be where the dot is the smallest.

When is the next time these things are going to pop up, anyone have any insight? Been waiting FOREVER. it was end of march, then end of april , then end of may. Like 10 came out now its june.......

When is the next time these things are going to pop up, anyone have any insight? Been waiting FOREVER. it was end of march, then end of april , then end of may. Like 10 came out now its june.......

Put yourself on the mailing list

sent from the toilet

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today, but I'm so sick and tired of these companies like this. It's been since last October when they said "just another month or two", and if you happen to be away from your computer (like I was), you miss the only chance to get one for who knows how long. I ordered a Carbon Arms Gas Hog and was told it'd ship out in the middle of April, and I'm still waiting. I could go on and on.

Sorry, rant over.

• 2 weeks later...