Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primary Arms 1-6 Scope

Alaskapopo

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug thanks for the tip and Video. I had to unscrew it WAY more than I originally did. Originally I was like .7 on 1x it looked like :-). Is there a way to lock down that parralz ring? It turns pretty easy.

You could get it where you want it and then put a drop of super glue on the ring. You could also mark it with a little white paint so you know if it has moved.

Doug

What are the turrets like under the caps?

Here is a photo of the turrets. They give you a little screw driver with the scope and you can use it to reset the turrets to zero after you zero the scope.

Doug

post-8887-0-89540100-1382226103_thumb.jp

I got my new upper with the PA 1-6x (with the PA deluxe extended mount) out for a brief zeroing session this weekend. First, I also found I had to unscrew the ocular a whole lot to get it in focus. At 1x, there was still a touch of fisheye on the outer edges, but nothing that I really noticed while looking at the reticle.

I mounted and leveled the scope, boresighted it at my 50yd target, put the rifle back together, and fired my first group using 6x at the 50yd zeroing target. I put 5 rounds of 69gr SMK in the space of a dime, about 1.5in off the bull at 10 o'clock. I dialed in a few clicks of down/left adjustment and was then right on with another group that held 0.5MOA at that distance. I switched to some beefier 55gr rounds and fired a few more groups. The scope held rock solid zero and kept giving me nice tight groups.

So, only about 50 rounds through it so far, but it zeroed quickly and held zero while dialing the scope between 1x and 6x between groups. The reticle actually seems brighter than I expected, but I haven't shot it in direct sunlight yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Like the scope. It shipped very quickly and I mounted it on a spare Burris. As others reported, you have to turn that focus ring way out. Very easy to zero and, with the small center dot, easy to shoot tight groups. That horseshoe is really nice on a plate rack. Have only shot it out to 300 so far so had no chance to try out the drops with my reloads. Had to do rollover prone at a local match to shoot through a low port on the VTAC barricade and was pleasantly surprised at how forgiving eye relief was. It's also extremely light and short for a 6x optic.

One nitpick is that the illumination ring had mushy detents and didn't index well.

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up to earlier comments, I used the PA 1-6x as my only sighting system (no side irons) for Dean's PA State Rifle Match this past weekend. Stages included weak-side offhand shooting at 25yd paper and 200yd steel; precision head shots at 25 yds; small (4–6") knockdown steel to 60yds; a standards-style 3-position stage at 100yds; and two in-your-face hoser stages. I had no problem with this scope at all. I did need to replace the battery that PA had shipped with the scope (and which had hardly gotten any use prior to the match) for a fresh one, but that was it.

On what turned out to be a reasonably bright day, I could still see a brick-red illumination to the reticle at full brightness. It's not a Swaro or a Vortex for brightness, but the reticle still stood out enough to see. I thought the eyebox was reasonably forgiving; I had no issue getting a weak-side sight picture, which is something I've found difficult in the past with my Super Sniper 1-6x. The second-focal plane horseshoe reticle was fast for 1x close stuff and gave me no problems at 6x shooting 6" steel (triangular steel, at that) at 200yds. I can't really comment yet on FoV at 200yds, since the long range bay at Topton is fairly narrow, but I could see the entire target array no problem, so I don't think that will be too big an issue.

All in all, I am impressed as hell with this scope for $250. I was using the PA extended eye relief mount, which brought the purchase price up to a whopping $300 for the entire kit. It was rock solid for the duration of the match.

I have two minor critiques of the scope, and they aren't significant. As mentioned before, the illumination detents are a little weak. When I turned on the scope before stages I had to baby the knob into place to light it up. On the other hand, it never came off illumination under recoil. The second issue is that the focal ring has to be unscrewed quite a bit to accommodate most shooters, it would seem. Once I replaced the lens cap over the ocular, the extra leverage provided by that big piece of plastic means that the focal ring turns fairly easy. By the end of my 200yd stage, the flipped open lens cap had gone from straight up and moved counter-clockwise to about 9-o'clock. I guess I may have noticed that, subliminally, in my sight picture, since it occurred to me to look at the focal setting afterward, but it wasn't enough actually to affect my shooting. I need to find a way to lock that focal ring down better, and then there will be no problem. I might unscrew it completely and see if there isn't seem way to reattach it with a jam nut of some sort.

Again, it is money very, very well spent. It will live on my short range (200yd and in) rifle for now, and I have no qualms about keeping it as my backup 3-gun optic. I would also not at all hesitate to recommend it to a shooter on a budget who needs to get a rifle put together for competition.

CJW, too bad I didn't know you were at the match, I would've liked to ask you about the scope and look through it. After reading this thread it is very tempting to buy the 1x4 to use on my 22 build I am working on.

Kind of curious if anyone has figured out if a existing switchview lever or throw lever if any type will work with this scope. I shot my second match with it today and was pretty impressed again.

Primary Arms has these on their site, I don't know if they're any good:

https://www.primaryarms.com/3-Gun-Stuff-s/611.htm

I have a 3 Gun Stuff lever on my Vortex 1-6. It's a good product.

The "3 Gun Stuff" lever that I ordered with my Primary Arms 1-6 is a cheap piece of shit plastic that broke during installation tonight

As for the scope, although it was wrapped in bubble wrap, it rolled out of the USPS Priority Mail box when I opened it. The actual scope box was a broken mess.

So far, I'm not impressed...and i haven't been to the range yet.

Edit to add:

I was disappointed that the scope lever was polymer. There is no indication of this on the PA website 1-6 scope page - only on the page showing all of the levers. Chris (3 Gun Stuff) has contacted me and offered to send a replacement.

Edited by pmt