Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 live primer collection tray

I just got a 650 today - I had all sorts of issues in my first day of reloading with it and ended up with alot of NEW primers being thrown into the little plastic good primer collection tray. Half of them end up on the floor because that tray is really shallow. Do any of you have that same problem and what, if anything, have you done about it?

In an ideal world, new primers won't end up in that little tray very often...but I was having alot of issues with cases not getting to the shell plate, which was basically causing me to have the shell plate rotate without there being a deprimed case to head over to the priming station - turned out there was a little burr on that soft metal piece that guides the case into the shell plate, so primers shouldn't be hitting that ski jump looking tray as much in the future...but still, when they do, I don't want them jumping out onto the floor.

we recommend not allowing multiple primers to collect in the live primer chute. As they land there, reinstall them into the magazine tube. Allowing live primers to accumulate into a cup that provides no protection in the event of a primer detonation is a bad idea, and one we will not support or condone.

Gary,

The problem here is that the primer that falls into the chute does not stay, they launch out and onto the floor where they are picked up by vacuums or even worse, small people.

Which is worse for liability? A toddler picking up and eating a primer, or 5 to 6 primers detonating in the chute???? They are both just as bad IMHO.

I

It has been a ongoing problem with the 650 for years, yet has not been "fixed" by Dillon. That is the frustration seen here with 650 owners...

To the OP, just lay a 45 case in the chute and dump it everytime you put in a new tube of primers.

jj

Read all of this and determine for yourself which method is best. I bought the primer catcher off eBay for $25.00. If dillon corrected this problem with higher walls on the ski jump then no one would have to purchase aftermarket equipment to make their equipment more user-friendly. All it would take is for one small child to pick up the primer that fell off of their machine and get hurt by it because this product does not work and bingo, that parent will own dillon.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179591

Edited by Franco79

I've found that letting one or two primers build up in the tray actually keeps future ones from jumping out. Not too worried about 3 primers detonating, but you shouldn't let it fill up.

Anyway there's a reason it's nicknamed the "primer ski-jump"

I don't understand why this is such a HUGE issue with so many people. Just put a 1/2 piece of clear vinyl tubing over the end. You should never have more than one or 2 primers skip at a time anyways otherwise your not watching your case count closely enough. I load 200-500 rounds at at time and rarely miss a primer.

Have a dozen or so already sized and deprimed cases in a cup sitting on you press ready to go. If you feel there is a case that got by that has a issue swap it out at station 2 and move on.

I simply cut a small piece of 3M double sided tape I had lying around to the size of the flat platform at the end of the ramp. The tape is just tacky enough to act as a buffer and stops the sliding primers from flying off but doesn't hold them in place tightly.

I never let enough of them get by to make accumulation an issue. Once I get 4 or 5 I just pick them up either by hand or with the primer tube and drop them back into the primer feed.

Hasn't really been a big deal for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that primers would be more prone to detonate when dropping 100 of them into the primer feeder, rather than one sliding down the live primer chute ... or am I thinking wrong ?