Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trapping magazine with forearm

Solscud007

I was shown this method as a good way to shoot long range offhand. By long range, I mean body sized steel at 400 yards. Worked better for me than anything else I've tried. The way I was shown didn't involve leaning forward so far though, more of a forward weight bias.

And his support "forearm" is much steadier than the rest of his standing body? Is trapping the magazine on your non supported forearm just like holding the rifle on a rock solid wall? It never ceases to amaze me how far some folks will go to be uncomfortable when they shoot. I am going to call this the Oscar Meyer possition, because it reminds me of someone holding a hotdog at a ball game.....nice camera mount though. :)

What method would you recommend for shooting longer ranges offhand? I'd love to hear it; I was just saying some dude showed me that at the range one day.

Shooting offhand is more about practice than technique in my view.

Like shooting weak hand pistol....never practicing isn't gonna help you no matter how hard you squeeze that fist into your chest

What method would you recommend for shooting longer ranges offhand? I'd love to hear it; I was just saying some dude showed me that at the range one day.

Like shooting weak hand pistol....never practicing isn't gonna help you no matter how hard you squeeze that fist into your chest

So there is no technique to shooting longer range offhand? You just do it however you please and as long as you're practicing you'll get good at it? That can't be right. You may get better, but you are going to reach a wall at some point because you're not doing it right. I would agree that there is no "one way" to do it, but to say there aren't techniques to doing it doesn't seem right.

So there is no technique to shooting longer range offhand? You just do it however you please and as long as you're practicing you'll get good at it? That can't be right. You may get better, but you are going to reach a wall at some point because you're not doing it right. I would agree that there is no "one way" to do it, but to say there aren't techniques to doing it doesn't seem right.

I don't know of a single person whose shooting skill has 'hit a wall' when it comes to offhand shooting. I saw some weird things at FNHs match last year since they have offhand shots at around 150 y. I managed to get my hits rather quickly shooting the exact same way I shoot paper rifle targets (support hand as close to the muzzle as possible, pull rifle slightly into shoulder)

I don't know of a single person whose shooting skill has 'hit a wall' when it comes to offhand shooting. I saw some weird things at FNHs match last year since they have offhand shots at around 150 y. I managed to get my hits rather quickly shooting the exact same way I shoot paper rifle targets (support hand as close to the muzzle as possible, pull rifle slightly into shoulder)

I think we're talking about two different things. I'm talking about how high power shooters shoot at distance, not 150 yard shots. Like this.

hipowgreen2x580.jpg

Given this is posted in the multigun forum, I figured I would keep it in that context.

I don't see too many offhand shots at long distances in the matches I've been at.

I would agree that offhand at 400y +, technique would become very important.

Edited by Onagoth

Given this is posted in the multigun forum, I figured I would keep it in that context.

I don't see too many offhand shots at long distances in the matches I've been at.

I would agree that offhand at 400y +, technique would become very important.

My apologies, I got this this topic through the New Content button and didn't realize it was in the multi-gun thread. I have also never encountered anything over a 200 yard offhand shot in a 3 gun match. I would agree that for shorter distances and larger targets, not much should change. Again, sorry!

I think that picture pretty much shows "THE" technique for shooting long range small groups off hand, but in the context of Multigun competition there is a time element that may over ride the time it takes to get into the "best" shooting possition possible for any given target. also in Multigun competition the target dificulty is normaly not that high if you are going to want to take it off hand and unlike High Power rifle competition you have all the bullets you want to get your hit not 1 bullet that you must hit well with.

Mike

What am I missing here? One picture shows a guy in a coat that is strapped on so tight it is hard to breath, which gives mucho support and is bladed so much that he is almost 90 degrees to the target and is supporting the rifle with as much bone structure...and coat as is allowed in the Standing posision, and he is as comfortable as he can be..... The other guy has his boddy much closer to face on to the target and is contorting his left arm around as he faces the target...NOT comfortable....just try both and see! He also seems to be missing the coat. One is great for shooting shots when you have all day to shoot each one...the other is great for eating hotdogs or taking pictures with a rifle mounted camera, although on a hot day it is much cooler.

What am I missing here? One picture shows a guy in a coat that is strapped on so tight it is hard to breath, which gives mucho support and is bladed so much that he is almost 90 degrees to the target and is supporting the rifle with as much bone structure...and coat as is allowed in the Standing posision, and he is as comfortable as he can be..... The other guy has his boddy much closer to face on to the target and is contorting his left arm around as he faces the target...NOT comfortable....just try both and see! He also seems to be missing the coat. One is great for shooting shots when you have all day to shoot each one...the other is great for eating hotdogs or taking pictures with a rifle mounted camera, although on a hot day it is much cooler.

Actually, it seems to me that the first guy is kneeling. at least that is what it appears as he is leaning way forward and we cannot see the bottom. There are some really good shots that can make off hand shots at 400 yards, but i am not one of them. Mother earth is the place to be.

:cheers:

I think we're talking about two different things. I'm talking about how high power shooters shoot at distance, not 150 yard shots. Like this.

One of the reasons the high-power guys do offhand like that is that the side of the jacket and the elbow area are textured for extra friction. That support arm is really held up by the coat, which makes it more stable than trying to do the same thing in a short-sleeve wicking shooting jersey...

I keep my GI web sling in my shooting bag. If I show up at a match that has 100+ yard offhand, I will go with a hasty sling for stability, so long as that doesn't get in the way of shooting the rest of the stage in question.

....and remember, before the hot dog bun was invented, vendors would give patrons a glove to hold the HOT dog.

Now a smart fella would put the glove on his weak hand to hold the hot dog, leaving his strong hand free to catch fly balls and drink from his beer glass.

ericm

I saw this picture and it looked like an awkward method to hold a rifle. However I noticed that the magazine is trapped by his support forearm.

Any thoughts on this method of holding a rifle?

mag_ho10.jpg

Its kind of a bastardized version of they way small bore shooters shoot off hand with shooting jackets. Way too slow and does more harm than good in our game.

Pat

If I had to shoot offhand say around 200 yards and out, I would shoot like the high power guys. But as kurtm alluded to, building a shooting position takes time. Plus, for me at least, the 30 round mag is a no go, as my support hand would be uncomfortably low. Thankfully, I haven't seen any long off hand shots in my amazingly short 3 gun career. My opinion is more comfort will equal more success.

I saw this picture and it looked like an awkward method to hold a rifle. However I noticed that the magazine is trapped by his support forearm.

Any thoughts on this method of holding a rifle?

One thought......AWKWARD

Edited by TRUBL

hipowgreen2x580.jpg

Highpower standing stage is only 200 yards. It's been a while so, I may not have the next part correct. Sitting/kneeling Rapid, 200 yards, Prone Rapid, 300 yards, prone slow fire, 600 yards. This is for the standard match. 600 yards is considered Mid Range. All the Long Range distances are shot prone.

For all the 3 gunners, don't bother practicing standing past 50 yards. You really don't need it.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

hipowgreen2x580.jpg

Highpower standing stage is only 200 yards. It's been a while so, I may not have the next part correct. Sitting/kneeling Rapid, 200 yards, Prone Rapid, 300 yards, prone slow fire, 600 yards. This is for the standard match. 600 yards is considered Mid Range. All the Long Range distances are shot prone.

For all the 3 gunners, don't bother practicing standing past 50 yards. You really don't need it.

I have been to several matches with standing shots to at least 100 yards. Its not that hard. In fact in one we are having this Sunday I have 2 100 yard shots on C zone steel froms standing as part of a stage. In Texas at the Multigun Nationals they had a stage where it was best to shoot 3 targets off hand at 100 yards.