Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp 10 Round .40 System Mags

BadShot

Has anyone tried the Tripp 10 round .40 System mags for a 1911? These will allow 10 rounds, but still fit in the box. I had some Tripp mags for a .40 1911 that I bought in 2007. I never could get them to work. I even sent them back to Tripp, but I had no luck.

Thanks,

Skip

I use the 10mm Tripp mags with the hybrid follower and they work perfectly. I had some troubles with the metal follower, but Tripp swapped the out and they have not had a problem since.

They system mags, I believe, run the hybrid follower.

I'm running 9 rounders now, the only problem i have is that when a round gets stripped the second round also gets partially stripped from the mag. It runs great the only problem is making a reload without emptying the mag. The mag sometimes sticks because of the partially stripped round sticking out.

I have a couple of 10 rounders on order now, some with the metal follower and some with the hybrid follower to do some R&D. Once i get a working setup i'll swap out the other mags to the same setup/

I run the 10 round mags w/o issues. I have used them in SS Nationals as well as several IDPA majors so yes it fits both boxes. Some things to note that may help some problems people have is I relieve some area on the ejector so the round when seated does not make contact, also I use a raised mag catch by EGW. These two I think are a must in my opinion.

I use the 10mm mags and the 45 mags to run long loaded 40 in my SV Single Stacks. They work great with my Techwell on one pistol and the factory SV magwell on the other. I have been using the 45 hybrid follower in both mags and love them. Can't say enough good things about them. With the hybrid follower, I can only get 9 40 rounds to feed comfortably but since I shoot major (8+1 only), it isn't a problem.

I used the 10mm Tripp mags in my 1911 Custom Colt 40 S&W and they work perfectly. Had no luck using the Tripp 40 S&W & 45 ACP mags. If you want to shoot single stack try the MecGar 8 round 40 S&W mags, they work perfectly.

Just order a bunch of "Corey mags" there the 10rnd 10mm tubes cut down to fit box with the 45 hybrid followers I believe I will see how we'll they work shortly

• 1 month later...

Well after having my mags lay at customs for over two months i have finally received them.

I guess the corey mags have to settle a bit first beforeI can load them with 10 rounds because it seems impossible to get in 10 rounds. The metal followers went pretty easy. Now to get them in the IPSC box because it looks like a real tight fit compared to my 9 round Tripps.

The Corey mags aren't designed to hold 10. They have the hybrid follower that takes up to much room. They are designed to hold just 9. The regular system mags will hold 10 but again it's not recommended due to the shorter tube. They will work for some but not others.

Ok thats allright beter to have 9 rounders that work all the time than 10 rounders that might jamm. I've got 2 system mags and 5 corey's so thats a nice combo as long as i shoot 40 minor. Lets hope at the next general assembly the Classic rules change so major can load 9 or 10 rounds instead of 8.

I have been using Tripp Research 40S&W/10mm 10 Round Magazine that I purchased from Dawson's. They have worked very in my STI Trojan .40 cal. I have been running a 180gr Black Bullet with a 1.180 C.O.L. No problems at all. They will also fit in an IDPA box.

Edited by S&W686

Well after having my mags lay at customs for over two months i have finally received them.

I guess the corey mags have to settle a bit first beforeI can load them with 10 rounds because it seems impossible to get in 10 rounds. The metal followers went pretty easy. Now to get them in the IPSC box because it looks like a real tight fit compared to my 9 round Tripps.

Not sure about the "corey" mags, but the Tripp system mags need to be trimmed a little to fit the "IPSC" box using STI guns (Trojan, Sentry, USPSA). The IPSC box that we have locally was constructed to the minimum IPSC dimensions. Lots of Classic Division shooters mostly shooting with STI's. The system mags need to have the basepads trimmed. Remove about a millimeter off the basepad from the toe to the hole in the center of the basepad. YMMV.

When i got my mags the basepads where already trimmed. Excellent service.

When i checked my gun it was a snug fit but it worked. I hate to pute my gun in the box. Have seen far to often that the frontsight broke or the rearsight lost the p.o.i.

I use the 10mm mags and the 45 mags to run long loaded 40 in my SV Single Stacks. They work great with my Techwell on one pistol and the factory SV magwell on the other. I have been using the 45 hybrid follower in both mags and love them. Can't say enough good things about them. With the hybrid follower, I can only get 9 40 rounds to feed comfortably but since I shoot major (8+1 only), it isn't a problem.

Roy: How long are you loading your 40 cal rounds?

(And FYI for everyone else. Roy is the nicest person on the planet when it comes to fielding really dumb questions about 1911s from dullard rookie shooters like me. He's one of the reasons I decided to go with SVI for my first 1911 build. If it's good enough for Roy...)

• 3 years later...
On 10/17/2013 at 2:46 AM, S&W686 said:

I have been using Tripp Research 40S&W/10mm 10 Round Magazine that I purchased from Dawson's. They have worked very in my STI Trojan .40 cal. I have been running a 180gr Black Bullet with a 1.180 C.O.L. No problems at all. They will also fit in an IDPA box.

i will try this......i have nosediving issues with my tripp 10rnd 40sw

I had to swap followers and springs to get mine to run.  I need to shoot more than 2-3 rounds or they will not drop free.  It's not usually an issue but it can be on certain stages...