Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead Level in your blood

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The maximum safe level of lead concentration in the blood is 10 micrograms/deciliter....my levels were over 40.

Run an internet search on "lead exposure" to find out more.

BD,

I began to seriously question the safety of indoor shooting ranges when I was shooting GSSF indoor.  Even with the extremely short amount of time we were in the range, when I came home, I would sneeze black mucous. 

Until lead free primers and covered-base bullets become available and mandatory, I just can't see myself shooting indoors anymore.  We have a brand-new shooting range going in here.  I asked the owner directly whether exposed-lead base bullets were going to be permitted.  "Yup!  But, by golly, we won't let anyone shoot bare lead."  Which for the life of me - I can't figure out what the effective difference would be.  Apparently, the new, granulated rubber bullet trap would fix all lead issues.  :blink: 

Until the industry starts making policies that actually make sense, I just can't see taking the very real health risk that indoor shooting entails.  There's no way in hell I'd ever let my child (if I had one) in an indoor shooting range.

Eric,

It sounds like you're already aware of this, but totaly exposed lead vs. FMJ does make a difference. How large is open to discussion. When the fully-exposed lead bullets hit the steel deflection plates of the traditional indoor backstop, some lead is presumably vaporized on impact, adding to the lead levels in the air. That brings us to your statement on the new technology, granulated rubber bullet traps. They at least eliminate (or at very minimum, greatly reduce) that particular source of contamination. Still, I agree I don't want to be around anyone using FMJ/exposed lead-based bullets indoors.

When some of us started getting tested and found we were scoring above the target level of 10 micrograms/dl, the people who were still shooting lead felt terrible and quit using them for our weekly indoor matches. Since the range we now shoot at has the granulated rubber backstop, my levels are decreasing.

According to some research I did on this, it's the lead we ingest that raises our levels much more so than the lead we breathe. Washing your hands after shooting, after reloading, before sneaking out for a cigarette, not having a can of soda out on the range with you, etc, will help reduce that particular problem.

One other thing I noticed was even at those ranges which have super heavy-duty air handlers at the shooting line, our risk is still increased. They move the contaminents off the line and send them downrange, but not very far. Once you open the range and move out in front of the firing line to shoot an IPSC-type match, the air movement isn't sufficient to blow the lead all the way downrange.

I also discovered a warning that if you have small children at home, you should not wear the same footwear home that you shoot in. You track lead onto the floor/carpet, where little ones play. You should also consider washing your shooting clothes separately from the family's laundry (cross-contamination).

...Mark

I have been shooting for about 15 years and started out casting my own bullets. Well after getting my lead level checked ( 78 ) I made some changes in my life. I only use clade bullets and shoot inside as little as posible. Calcium will help in lowering your lead level. My count is 15-18 now and a normal smokers level is 20-35. I don't smoke so my count has been at this level for several years now and I don't expect to change either. I get it checked each year along with my cholestal.

Gene A-0793

Trivia on this subject......

1. As a full time firearms instructor, I get my lead checked annually. A few years back, my level had gotten to 34; this caused a lot of drama for employers/me/coworkers. What struck me as odd was that the year before I had been fine......I began to look around for what I had changed over the past year. I checked my flatware at home (apparently some plates/bowls used to have lead in the enamel) got my wife checked, etc. I checked further and found that my level had been 32 the year before......nothing had changed, it's just that I had been misinformed about my previous level. I stayed out of the local indoor range for about 120 days and everything was fine.

2. I now contract for a DoD organization, doing firearms/force protection training. The branch of service we work for came out and inspected the indoor range we were training at; the air system, contrary to our beliefs, was only a little better than worthless. In talking to these inspectors (who check military indoor ranges around the world) they have NEVER repeat NEVER found an indoor range anywhere that truly had acceptable air quality.

Other than that, all of the previously posted solutions are the way to go. Even when I was at a high of 34, I never experienced any symptoms.

TY42385

Excellent comment above about shoes.

My white soled Nike shoes are grey on the bottom after shooting indoors.

The amount of lead dust around steel targets is visible when resetting them.

I have also heard ( as mentioned above ) about the primer dust from the tumbler being very laden with lead compounds, some of which may be even more absorbable , and toxic than ordinary lead.

Travis F.

• 10 months later...

The group of folks that I've been running matches with here in DFW have all come down positive for lead poisoning. Levels ranged from 11 to 31. Mine was 24.

Needless to say, we all went out and did a lot of research on lead poisoning! Here's some tips that we learned, maybe it can save someone else some problems later:

1. don't carry or drink from open containers while shooting indoors. the lead dust will settle in the liquid and then you ingest it directly. in my case, I would often shoot with a camelback on during the summer months and I'm sure the lead would settle on the mouthpiece.

2. wear a hat when you shoot. the lead dust gets into your system easily through your hair.

3. wash your hands as soon as you're done shooting and take a shower when you get home. if you don't wash your hands, and then go out to eat, you ingest the lead directly. if you don't take a shower when you get home, all the lead dust on your head and face (and beard, in my case) will make its way onto your pillow, and then you'll wallow in the dust as you sleep.

4. if you handload, tumble your brass in as open an area as you can manage. the primers of course contain lead residue and as you tumble the brass, that little cloud of dust that seems to be omnipresent also contains the lead residue. be especially catious as you tump the brass out of the tumbler - that big "poof" of dust is poisonous! I now tumble only in the garage, and not indoors as before, and when I dump out the brass I do it in the driveway, with a mask on.

Your symptoms can vary. I exhibited headaches, lethargy, sore muscles and joints, high blood pressure, and an elevated liver count. All were attributed to stress at work, just getting old, and taking lots of advil.

Frankly, I'm rather relieved it's just lead poisoning! All accounts say that staying out of the indoor range and being more anal about washing my hands after shooting/reloading will return my BLL back to where it's supposed to be and there should be no permanent ill effects. That beats the hell out of getting old any day.

:P

Indoor ranges need to have at least 9+ air turns per hour to even half way try to keep the lead dust down to a average level...12 turns is better....

Wear latex gloves when you load and handle primers and bullets.

Wear a face mask when you load..

Wear the above two when you handle brass to and from the tumbler.

I do not shoot on any indoor range anymore because of their inability to keep the lead out of the air..

Lead poisioning is bad news and you need to keep on top of it...every 6 months is about the minimum to have it checked...

Just my .02 worth...better safe than sorry..

The maximum safe level of lead concentration in the blood is 10 micrograms/deciliter....my levels were over 40.

Run an internet search on "lead exposure" to find out more.

Funny thing is, county health dept wanted to know when anyone had a BLL over 10, but OSHA doesnt give a crap until you hit 20. Go figure, especially with OSHA being more anal than anyone on safety. I had mine checked about 8 years ago before I knew anything about it and it was 11 then. I have since changed the way I do things per the county and it has been 6-7 since. :)

Last year I had been shooting at a poorly ventilated indoor range and asked to have my lead levels checked. Well the results came in and my wife called and asked the doctors office about the results (had several other tests done) and they said everything was ok. Well I didn't follow up any more than that. Was back in to see the Dr. yesterday for the annual thing and asked him about the lead level and he said it was 4. He also said 1-19 was normal. From what I am reading here it appears like there is a wide range of normal. I was real glad it was as low as it was and since I haven't been shooting indoors in the last year and I quit holding the LSWC in my mouth while reloading I figure I should be even lower.

Just kidding about holding the LSWC in my mouth while reloading! :lol::lol:

2.wear a hat when you shoot. the lead dust gets into your system easily through your hair.

I had lead problems from shooting bowling pins indoors and sweeping up afterwards without a mask etc. We would shoot every Friday afternoon until I had my lead level checked and it came back at 63. The poison control center was even calling me to find out how my level got so high.

It took me a year to get my levels bak to the normal range. I was also told lead was injested by inhaling,eating and or drinking. Nothing was ever mentioned about hair.

Catfish has some valid points but I question the one about absorbing lead through your hair.

Any specific infrmation would be appreciated.

Jon

Last year I had been shooting at a poorly ventilated indoor range and asked to have my lead levels checked.  Well the results came in and my wife called and asked the doctors office about the results (had several other tests done) and they said everything was ok.  Well I didn't follow up any more than that.  Was back in to see the Dr. yesterday for the annual thing and asked him about the lead level and he said it was 4.  He also said 1-19 was normal.  From what I am reading here it appears like there is a wide range of normal.  I was real glad it was as low as it was and since I haven't been shooting indoors in the last year and I quit holding the LSWC in my mouth while reloading I figure I should be even lower.

Just kidding about holding the LSWC in my mouth while reloading! :lol:  :lol:

I had mine tested here recently and was a 9mcg/dl and was also told that a safe range was 0-19 mcg/dl. I will hopefully get that down some more by next year.

mcb

For those of you who seem to want to quote various random numbers of what is and is not safe ... Here's the "official" information from the OSHA folks:

OSHA Standards for Lead Exposure

There's a LOT of information in these standards ... You'll find the applicable blood lead level (BLL) medical standards in appendix C.

In summary, it states that anything under 40 for a normal healthy adult is OK. (Though most of the time they prefer to see it under 25.) At 50 the physician is required to (in effect) issue a "stop work" order for the individual until it gets back to 40 or less.

By the way ... Anyone who quotes you 10 as the standard is quoting the wrong standard. That's the pediatric standard for children. They tend to be more susceptible to the effects of lead since their nervous systems are still developing. Note for the ladies ... Lead WILL cross through the placenta. Hence, if you're pregnant or of child bearing age, your doctor is likely to use the lower (10 vs. 40) standard for you as your BLL will also affect your child. Same for when you’re breast-feeding.

If you’re having problems sleeping at night, I suggest you try reading the above standards … They’re written in typical “governmentalese” … a narcotic, but definitely not habit-forming to read!

• 2 months later...

Bringing this topic back around again since I just got another test and was searching around. My Dr said 'ok' was anything under 25 (mine was 14). Anyway, the most interesting bit I found was another site with some cases studies-- one was a rifle shooter & reloader with high blood lead levels and traced to tumbler dust-- 4.3% of the dust in his tumber was lead. http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/leadsafe/studies.htm

My last lead test was 3 , down from 26 a few months ago.

In addition to not shooting indoors without a respirator ( Yes, there were jokes ) and being really anal about lead contamination of any sort, I have been taking vit. c ( the ester variety is supposed to be better ) MSM ( Methylsulfonomethane, find it with the glucosamine and chondroitin at your local mart store ) and calcium.

Also heavy on the citrus fruits .

YMMV , just my recent experience...

Travis F.

Bringing this topic back around again since I just got another test and was searching around. My Dr said 'ok' was anything under 25 (mine was 14). Anyway, the most interesting bit I found was another site with some cases studies-- one was a rifle shooter & reloader with high blood lead levels and traced to tumbler dust-- 4.3% of the dust in his tumber was lead. http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/leadsafe/studies.htm

Tumbler Dust

Thansk! I knew that stuff was tox, the past year i have used a mask as the dust burnt my nose. So if im luky the memory thing is old age and not lead posion? or would it beter that it was lead poision and not old age? on the mimory loss,

A good trick is to toss a used dryer sheet in with your brass. When it's finished tumbling, carefully remove the sheet and gently throw it in the trash. It will be full of the same lead-laden dust we're talking about, and your media will last longer, too.

...Mark

• 2 weeks later...

With a BLL of 42 I changed a lot of things I do.

First was a 1.5 year of shooting indoors/loading hiatus so I could get it under control. The Lead is still there but is now in your bones and taking some of the calciums place.

Always wash and shower with COLD water, it keeps your pores closed.

Tumble with a shot glass of water and wet tumble polish like flitz.

Tumble out side.

Wear a respirator indoors.

Try to not paste as much as you can with out looking like an ass...

Use fully plated bullets.

Eat a lot of cilantro.

Drink Milk and Citrus juices esp ones with Calcium suplements.

Oh, the symptoms I was plauged with was frequent Headaches, memory loss the next stage is demensia and Serious Blood preassure problems.

Edited by SKYWLKR

One of the numerous reasons I quit running a weekly match at an indoor range was the fact that there was no filtration system in the place.There was a small heat pump vented up to a upstairs room but nothing on the range.We would have to open the doors when we shot to help clear the air.If the EPA or perhaps OSHA saw this place they would shut it down.

• 1 month later...

I was looking into this a while ago and found that there are medications you can take to help the body eliminate lead from your system. They are chelating agents. (Sorry for the spelling) The most common one used in hospitals is EDTA. This can be bought by regular people, but I think the stronger ones need a doctors note. My chiropractor is looking into getting some for me.

Adam

Just once a week practise for me, indoors :(

The ventilation in our indoor range is poor 'cause we're in a construction-phase, boy...I loved our outdoor-range...but that's in the past 'cause of the "green lobby" in this country.....hummprf <_<