Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LSPA block for stock II

bessy

Hey folks,

I've been shooting a limited for quite a while. I just picked up a stock II and while I love the gun the trigger is a nightmere. I'm trying to decide what parts to order to clean it up.

I spoke with jim at shooter reader, he recommended one of Eric graffuel's hammer, Firing pin, and misc springs *14 lb hammer, new recoil etc), which sounds reasonable.

I noticed several people here have mentioned dropping a new LSPA complete block in their guns with a delta hammer. I'm wondering how exactly the LSPA block differs from the block that ships with the stock II. Is this something I should pursue? If so who sells one state side.

Thanks in advance.

Bessy

I went ahead and decided to do what I could with a 15lb hammer spring last night. Here is what I did.

1. Polished the trigger plunger, shaft, the plunger head. I also polished the "socket", in the trigger where the plunger head rides.

2. I polished the trigger bows inside and outside.

3. Polished the bottom of the sear cage, and the bottom of the interrupter.

4. Swapped out the hammer spring with a 15lbs hammer spring.

This dropped the double action from over 12lbs (off of my trigger scale) to about 9.5-9.7 lbs. The single actions is now just below 5lbs.

The single action is totally shootable, but the doulbe action has some monster stacking... I'm a fair mechanic, when it comes to these guns... I can polish with the best of them... but without a jig.. I'm not going to touch the sear or hammer hooks with a 10 foot pole.

At this point I'm going to send the gun of to jim bodkin.. I don't think I will get the gun to where I want by swampng out a firing pin and some springs.

~Bessy

Edited by bessy

Did you start with some heavy grid to get the machining marks out, then work down to 2000 grit on the plunger and the trigger bar plunger notch? It should be a mirror finish almost.

Also I don't use a jig doing my sears or hammers.

Did you start with some heavy grid to get the machining marks out, then work down to 2000 grit on the plunger and the trigger bar plunger notch? It should be a mirror finish almost.

Also I don't use a jig doing my sears or hammers.

This is exactly what I did. The plunger was BAD.... I did one pass with 500... then 1200... wasn't enough. I had to fall back to 250 grit... then 500 then 1200 I finished up with 1500. I made sure to check all my surfaces with dental picks. It's pretty friction-less.

The pull isn't gritty anymore.. it just stacks at the end crazy bad. I've had the chance to handle Jim's work before, I'm not confident that I can get my trigger even close to that level.

As far as sears and hammers goes. I'm comfortable with that type of work for a 1911, but I'm not comfortable enough with this platform to attempt this type of work. I'm the type of guy that needs pictures/diagrams angles, or better yet working copy to examine and emulate. I've been doing this long enough to know when I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm still curious as to how this part http://www.ericgrauffel.com/shop/product.php?id_product=97 differs from the one that ships with the stock II. I hear a few folks saying just drop that part in with the delta hammer and you are good to go.

Edited by bessy

From my understanding, the short,transverse hammer spring design is a limit on trigger quality and won't ever be as nice as a CZ trigger with a more traditional hammer spring orientation.

I've handled a number of stock II's with triggers that were very good. My buddy has a CZ that was done by Angus... Put side by side with Stoeger's gun it's hard to tell them apart... they were both spectacular. I'm not even looking for spectacular... I'm just looking for decent.

Edited by bessy

From your description it sounds like the hammer spring is too long. When you say " it just stacks at the end crazy bad" are you saying that it gets super hard to pull at the end of the DA? I have had to shorten several of the hammer springs I've installed (took 1/2 a coil off) because the hammer wouldn't go all the back (and bottom out on the frame).

From your description it sounds like the hammer spring is too long. When you say " it just stacks at the end crazy bad" are you saying that it gets super hard to pull at the end of the DA? I have had to shorten several of the hammer springs I've installed (took 1/2 a coil off) because the hammer wouldn't go all the back (and bottom out on the frame).

Nealio,

Yeah, that's basically what I was getting at,

Thanks for the help, one more thing for me to check out. I love this forum, it's always so helpful.

Once I get everything sorted out, I'll give you guys an update...

~Bessy

• 11 months later...

I've been trying to figure out what is different or special about his LSPA block that keeps getting mentioned.

Despite all the mentions, I haven't seen anything explaining how this LSPA block is different from the stock parts.

Google pointed me to this thread, and would like to bump the OPs question about it.

Just send it to Jim. Tanfos have the worst trigger out of the box I have ever felt, but Jim got mine almost as good as my Mink Shadow. You will still have the pre travel that the CZ does not have, but little stacking.

LSPA block seems to house a 2-pc sear, just looking by pictures. Just go 1-pc sear. It gives you shorter reset when paired with the Xtreme hammer. EG is coming out with i presume IPSC legal hammer spring, try those. or 13# wolff. With 13# wolff, the most you can clip is 5 coils i think for federal primers, this is with extended firing pin. I won't do that though.

And to have less stacking, i found that using a T3 disconnector has less stacking. But when you dry fire your gun so much, that stacking becomes normal =) its the size of the hammer spring. Too tiny.

Am I the only guy with a dozen Tanfoglios who's never heard of a "LSPA block" before? :blush:

It looks like it's the 2nd part of a 2-piece sear. Or that's what my GoogleFu shows me. ubumepa9.jpg

Sent from my flux capacitor

Look what I started, so much confusion. I still don't have a definitive answer on the LSPA block. I did send my gun of to jim and it turned out very well. As neolio mentioned my hammer spring was TOO long.