Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the JP trigger my best single stage option? (How hard to tune?)

Notlongago

I would not recommend installing a JP yourself. I have seen way too many done wrong. If you want the JP, just send it in and have them do it.

The Jard is a little easier to install in my opinion. The CMC is probably the best bet if you just want to drop it in and go shoot for not a lot of coin.

If you have no concept how a trigger and disconnector work then send it in. Otherwise JP has a great video on their site that shows what to do. Take your time and it will go fine. If you screw a part up they will exchange it for you at minimal cost. Much like assembling your own rifle it is good for learning and will help you diagnosis a failing trigger.

If you know how to follow instructions and are mechanically inclined, it should not be a problem to install a JP. I've done a bunch, and they are equal to my factory installed JP.

Then again, I take my time, go by trigger feel and understand how and why to tune the disconnector.

Mick

I would not recommend installing a JP yourself. I have seen way too many done wrong. If you want the JP, just send it in and have them do it.

The Jard is a little easier to install in my opinion. The CMC is probably the best bet if you just want to drop it in and go shoot for not a lot of coin.

Mine was factory installed (3 lbs variant) and ran well for about 500 rounds.

At a match, some debris got stuck in the trigger and caused the trigger not to reset. The problem later occurred on another stage. This really messed up my match.

A superb trigger, but my experience left me feeling a little gun-shy. There seems to be lots of things loctited in that can come loose and lots of places for debris to gum up the works.

Not to bash JP--it is an excellent product and my experience may not be typical.

Jard, properly tuned, IMHO opinion is the best bang for the buck. Mine's at around 1.5 lbs or so, maybe less and I have been told it's not "safe", ie, too light..... :devil: but it sure shoots nicely..

your damn gun went off just from the bead of sweat that dripped off my finger... :o

I had a JP EZ trigger group installed by JP at the RM3G Saturday. Their smith didn't have any trouble tuning it at all - it would have taken me considerably longer :(

I watched the video that came with it this morning and feel that I can adjust it if necessary by following their instructions.

Jard, properly tuned, IMHO opinion is the best bang for the buck. Mine's at around 1.5 lbs or so, maybe less and I have been told it's not "safe", ie, too light..... :devil: but it sure shoots nicely..

I tried yours dry fire, glad I did not live fire it surprised the crap out of me super light. I have a factory JP heavier than Aaron's, but very crisp and breaks clean.

Agree, and it is what is in my main match rifle.

Anyone tried one of the new Hiperfire triggers ???

Yes and they work great and are easy to install. I use Hiperfire in all my 3 gun rifles. Reset is awesome and is great for long range targets. You will see a lot more of these in the guns of top shooters.

I'm looking for a sub $150 single stage trigger, and I've heard great things about the JP. My question is how hard is it to properly tune for someone who hasn't done it yet?

Since you limited it to sub $150, then the JP original kit is the best bet. Need to get JP speed hammer with it to optimize the result but that can wait later if cash is tight. You got two set screws to adjust, if you don't go all the way to the optimal edge of sear engagement then probably wouldn't need to worry about timing the disconnector. Otherwise the disco will need a little fine tuning by filing the hook. See JP instruction video and go slow. The only thing you can ruin if not careful would be the $5 disconnector.

With that said, I recommend wait and save up more coins, at 200 - $250, your options would be much wider. The JP EZ kit has everything you need for a simple single screw adjustment + an adjustable safety. Or you can just buy a drop in Timney 3.0 for $230 and call it done.

I just installed a JP EZ trigger in my match gun and if you take your time and have experience building AR's, you can do it in less than an hour. The only part which took any thinking and tinkering was timing the disconnector screw. If you understand the purpose of the screw and watch John Paul's video that is included, it's pretty painless. The other two screws, the over travel stop and the safety screw, are really easy.

For what it's worth and completely opinion, this trigger is better than my others. I love my geissele SSA but I may just like the JP better.