Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifieds pricing

mpk1996

so, i am new getting back into competitive shooting and have been hunting different gear to get up to speed. Like most of you, I am trying to get the most for my money. So, I look through the classifieds to see if others are upgrading or selling stuff they don't need any more, but I have noticed that on here that lots of guys seem to have their price set very high.I mean I have seen guys asking more than retail for their stuff, and for stuff that is available.

Why is that? Are they just used to over the past few months being able to gouge fellow shooters since some things were in short supply? are they just ignorant of the current price and availability? did they buy too high and want to get their money out of it?

Usually if i see something that i want and its priced too high, i throw out an offer and tell them what the product retails for a a particular site or what ever. Some guys seem to get really annoyed with that. I have seen bullets going for more than retail, holsters going for more than retail, and why does everyone want so much for their used guns. I mean if you have a few thousand rounds (or heck, just a box) I am not going to pay $800 for a gun that I could buy new for $900 or $2900 for a $3200 gun, especially a gun that has been mod'd. you might have great parts, but more than likely they are not exactly the parts I would put on it, so to save $100-150, i am going to buy it new and then mod it the way I want it. And then I will be supporting the local gun shop and if i have a problem have somewhere to go to have it taken care of.

or am I missing something else?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you been to a gunshow lately? Have you seen what WASR's (AK47's) have been priced at. That's just retarded.

It is fairly rare for a guy to post in his ads "NO HAGGLING". Nobody said you couldn't PM an offer.

I am not just talking about 2011's, i am talking about glocks and springfields. and for the custom guns, $300 off the new price from brazos or dawson is not a great deal either

Deal gets better when you don't have to wait a year for a custom gun Make sure you are comparing apples to apples does it have extras like hard chrome or something similar

I personally would be thrilled to save 3 or 400 bucks on a like new gun that I could get right away. I realize lots of people will pay good money for that "new car smell" , I wont.

Most of the tactical tupperware will be priced at or above the cost of a new one in store, but there is a pretty good chance you are getting upgraded sights, trigger work, extra mags or some combination thereof, plus you skip paying sales tax.

Holsters and other gear, yea Ive seen it priced too high, buy this is America, free market rules. Ive gotten so many great deals off the classifieds, I just keep scrolling if I dont like the price. I sure dont take it personal.

So thats my advice. Its worth what ya paid for it. Dont stress if stuff is priced higher than you like, everyone thinks their stuff is worth top dollar, me included. Keep an eye on it, it may get cheaper or it may sell. You never know.

I think you are missing the point. I am talking about stuff that is available for other less than what they are asking. I am not saying that if the market is there (in the case of an AK like you are saying) I am talking about a guy asking $30 more for 40 cal bullets than what I can go on the manufactures website and buy it for, shipped and in stock. or holsters, or used glocks for $100 less than a brand new setup. thats all. look through the classifieds at what guys are asking. I see lots more on this forum that are asking "too much". I do a fair amount of internet buying and selling and know what stuff sells for in a used market and what "new" stuff sells for. when pricing, it pays to do your research or wonder why stuff doesn't sell. And I have pm'd offers and some have been accepted and others basically told to F off. Of course those that have still have stuff for sale, guess their prices aren't as good as they think or they really don't want to sell.

I am not just talking about 2011's, i am talking about glocks and springfields. and for the custom guns, $300 off the new price from brazos or dawson is not a great deal either

Deal gets better when you don't have to wait a year for a custom gun Make sure you are comparing apples to apples does it have extras like hard chrome or something similar

sure, some of that is true. i know guys that pay retail for a used harley back in the day to get it now and a color they wanted. but its not just on custom guns that the price is high

I personally would be thrilled to save 3 or 400 bucks on a like new gun that I could get right away. I realize lots of people will pay good money for that "new car smell" , I wont.

Most of the tactical tupperware will be priced at or above the cost of a new one in store, but there is a pretty good chance you are getting upgraded sights, trigger work, extra mags or some combination thereof, plus you skip paying sales tax.

Holsters and other gear, yea Ive seen it priced too high, buy this is America, free market rules. Ive gotten so many great deals off the classifieds, I just keep scrolling if I dont like the price. I sure dont take it personal.

So thats my advice. Its worth what ya paid for it. Dont stress if stuff is priced higher than you like, everyone thinks their stuff is worth top dollar, me included. Keep an eye on it, it may get cheaper or it may sell. You never know.

I guess you didn't read my post, as i said they were only $50-100 savings including the extras like barrels, trigger, sights, mags ect.

I am not stressing at all, just starting a discussion about why guys might feel their stuff is worth more than it is. of course there are good deals out there, and those are the ones that I (and all you others) have jumped on.

I was again just wondering if guys either overpaid and don't know the current market, as its getting better and availability is much better than it was or just starting high and planning on coming down or what

Again, what somebody is asking versus what they actually get are two different things.

A few months ago I sold the ba-jeepers out of primers and bullets/boolits.

We're all supposed to be big boys and girls here, right? I didn't hold a gun to anyone's head and force them to buy my bullets.

Caveat emptor...

Whatever the market...

And...

sure, some of that is true. i know guys that pay retail for a used harley back in the day to get it now and a color they wanted. but its not just on custom guns that the price is high

I guess you didn't read my post, as i said they were only $50-100 savings including the extras like barrels, trigger, sights, mags ect.

I am not stressing at all, just starting a discussion about why guys might feel their stuff is worth more than it is. of course there are good deals out there, and those are the ones that I (and all you others) have jumped on.

I was again just wondering if guys either overpaid and don't know the current market, as its getting better and availability is much better than it was or just starting high and planning on coming down or what

Worth is in the eye of the purchaser. Some guys would be thrilled to get a $100 discout on a lightly used set up thats ready to go.

Their stuff is only worth what someone will pay, if you wont pay it.. someone else might. That doesnt mean your value is the correct value.

I say, stop bitching about prices and buy what you want to buy and don't buy what you don't want to buy. While most of the guys here seem to sell for fair prices there are still those that gouge. The rules being what they are on these forums, you can't call somebody out on high pricing. I have gotten really tired of hearing, "whatever the market will bear". I think that is just an excuse to make a killing on something that is in short supply.

Here's a thought. If everyone is not answering your question because they didn't read it...maybe you didn't write it clearly enough in the first place. I read your post and it looks like most of the answers are pretty much on point. There is a difference between what shows in stock on some websites and what actually is. You talked about 2900 for a 3200 dollar gun. Unless you're talking about a custom 2011, you really are getting ripped off. Just because someone answered a post in a way you didn't want, doesn't mean they didn't read your post. If something is overpriced, don't buy it. You seem plenty savvy at Internet shopping, go find it somewhere else.

I have seen a few posts where people were asking too much for something. I didn't buy it. They may be uninformed, or they may be trying to re coup some of the cost they paid for it by someone that gouged them. As far as paying $100, or 300 off of the cost of something new, that depends on your perception of value. I've often recommended to someone buying a used 2011 over a brand new one. But only from someone reputable. I'd rather pay $1600.00 for a used edge with a few thousand rounds on it that I know works as opposed to a factory new gun that I'm going to have to pay to ship to a smith once or twice. As soon as you have to ship the gun you're out money. If it's a Glock, who cares if it's used. It's gonna last forever anyway.

From what I've seen and read on this forum, buyers and sellers seem to be in the know..What I mean is that it is really hard to sell something to some one who knows the real deal..I have sold and bought a lot of different things on this forum from friends whom I have never met,taken personal checks for a lot of money.Try doing that on gunbroker or e bay...And yes I have seen things on here that I thought were over priced.And on those deals I just do not respond,or offer what I want to pay and if it works ok if not maybe next time..

When sti edge was 1600 new,I bought one for 1800 here but it came with a lot of extras which I sold and whoope I got my edge for 300 less than new even hard chrome,..

I say order your cheaper 40 cal bullets from the manufacturer.....see how long it takes to get them. Or pay $30 more per thousand and get them a lot sooner... When you want or need something badly enough, price isn't the selling point, convenience and time of delivery is. Either way, all the other posters have it right. It's worth what you paid for it, or you wouldn't have paid for it.

Do you have any idea what the turnaround time is on a Brazos gun right now...? Try 10+ months.

Another thing being overlooked is the aspect of community. Sure you can take a custom 2011 to a pawn shop and get $800 for it because they could care less about you. People selling on here are generally not a business or in shooting to make money. They are either wanting to build or buy something new or are broke and need money. If you can help someone and save a few hundred or a few weeks why not. This isn't gun broker. The classifieds have helped me come up with a couple things that I was having a hard time finding and hopefully helped out a fellow shooter.

Another thing being overlooked is the aspect of community. Sure you can take a custom 2011 to a pawn shop and get $800 for it because they could care less about you. People selling on here are generally not a business or in shooting to make money. They are either wanting to build or buy something new or are broke and need money. If you can help someone and save a few hundred or a few weeks why not. This isn't gun broker. The classifieds have helped me come up with a couple things that I was having a hard time finding and hopefully helped out a fellow shooter.

sure, that is def the case. i help you, you help me, but i am not going to pay more than retail for it either

$800 for a $900 gun is roughly a 12% savings, which seems pretty fair to me, provided the gun is in like new condition. If your price point is $750, you make an offer of $750. Right now guns are a hot commodity. If someone is selling for 25% off the original purchase price, the gun is probably in less than ideal condition, and is truly worth 25% less than when it was new. While 12% isn't the deal you are looking for, someone else may be thrilled at saving 12%. I have watched items for sale figuring that if I waited a few more days, the seller would be more receptive to a lower offer, only to have someone buy the item at the sellers original price. You also need to remember that Gunbroker is always another selling option, and not all the buyers on GB are as knowledgeable of gun or accessory values are the people who frequent this site. It is often times easier to sell a used item at the same cost as new when the buyer really doesn't know the market, and I have seen more people overpay for items on GB than I ever thought possible.

Edited by cuzinvinny

I think upgraded trigger parts trigger jobs slide cuts etc do add value to the gun as a lot if people will get them done anyway and would be glad to pay for it done. Holsters belts and mag pouches may not add much to the value or desire as the person may not want or need them or have a different waist size or holster preference

I have seen what I consider crazy prices in the classifieds and wondered what are they thinking. It's a fair question.

Of course the people posting that value is in the mind of the buyer are correct - doesn't mean you can't ask what are they thinking...

sure, that is def the case. i help you, you help me, but i am not going to pay more than retail for it either

I wouldn't want to overpay, either. Right now, though, is an unusual time. There is an incredible amount of panic buying and hoarding (and yes, opportunistic buying with the intent to resell at inflated prices) going on for all things gun related. The availability of the most basic items is is astonishingly poor. So the price of what can be bought right now has been higher (sometimes two or three times higher from the on line gougers in the case of factory loaded ammo, for instance) than retail. And the retailers haven't had stock on most items, so it hasn't mattered that the going price is higher than retail, because there's no retail stock to be bought.

Those who can will wait until the panic buying slows, reducing demand, and giving the manufacturers a chance to get inventory to retailers, who can then build up their stock to prepanic levels, so that people will calm down and not jump on stuff at any price because they feel they have to. It's unfortunate, though, that some folks, out of need, insecurity or greed, are still buying high. There may be light at the end of the tunnel - some items are reappearing at the retail level. If you can wait, prices for what you are looking for will eventually come into line with prepanic new retail and used classifieds. Good luck in your hunt, and welcome back to the sport.

I think the OPs question was about the [deleted] that were priced higher than MSRP on the classifieds. Well, i saw that too and I just hit the back button and its all good. Now youre asking why.. well because the seller can. You can price an item more than msrp, mark it firm price and bump it everyday if you want to. Not sure if its gonna sell but afaik, its not against the forum rules.

So yeah, if you dont like the price, back button is your friend.

Edited by sperman

The ugliest girl...

I ever saw...

Came walking ...outta Bancroft Hall.

SQUID!

DonaldSutherlandbodysnatchers.jpg

LOL. Jealousy will get you no where with me. and yes there are some ugly woobas for sure

Edited by mpk1996