Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any suggestions for 9mm Major loads in a Glock?

Fureio

I've been researching threads on this forum for a month now and can't say I am any closer to figuring out what load to use for a compensated (major) G17 racegun I am having Zev build for me.

Here is where i stand:

• Decided to go with Winchester small pistol primers. I may use Federal primers as they are softer. I am concerned about light strikes since I will be using the Zev lightened striker/firing pin.
  • Whenever I actually find a supplier who has powder in stock, I will begin building a loading using WSF or N320. Right now the only powders i'm finding are IMR and AA #2. From what I understand, AA#2 isn't a good powder for a comp'ed race pistol since it burns too quick. What are some good powders for a major comp G17? I read this thread but there isn't much data on the particular load i'm looking for. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=164439&hl=%2Bbest+%2Bpowder+%2Bfor+%2B9mm+%2Bmajor+%2Bpf#entry1830569
  • I cant seem to find a local source for Berry's 147 grain bullets. I may just go to a local lead caster and have 147 gr RN made. I am not sure if I should load lead or Copper jacketed rounds. Is this weight ideal or should I start development with 124 gr rounds? What's the determining factor on choosing the type of bullet to go with?

I use as Dillon XL650 with all the trimmings. I am finding a lot of great data searching the forums, I'm not finding a lot of data for my specific situation.

Thanks for any suggestions - including the reminder that search is my friend :goof:

Edited by Fureio

Most "standard" 9mm major load is most likely 124 grain bullets that

are entirely encased in copper, over 6.7 - 7.2 gr Winchester Auto

Comp, loaded from 1.135 - 1.170"

This load produces lots of gas to make the comp work - heavier bullet

means less powder = less gas.

Lighter bullets require lots of powder in a very small space (I don't feel

too comfortable reloading 9 gr powder as it tends to spill when my

press rotates).

There are arguably better loads, but they are all individual preferences,

and require lots of experimentation.

To get started, try WAC or HS6, and 124 gr JHP's - loaded as long as

your mag/chamber allows, and you'll be off and running - can always

start to experiment later.

Good luck.

:cheers:

First off, Zev should have some recommendations on primers, but I've never heard of Federal SPP in 9 Major, most Open shooters use SRP to handle the pressure; I use CCI SRP.

Second, HS6 might be THE powder for 9 Major with a short OAL, so beat the bushes and maybe you can trade for some.

Third, stay away from exposed lead for 9 Major: lots of smoke and lead build up in the comp. Besides, you can probably load longest with a 124 CMJ or plated round nose.

Last match I shot a batch of Berry's 135 plated round nose loaded to 1.135 with 7.1 grains of HS6. If your chamber can handle them the 135s take less powder so they're not so violent and 'feel' softer.

Pete, sounds like you are confusing 9mm minor with 9mm major.

The powder and bullet you describe would make a GREAT 9mm minor load - not a

very good MAJOR load.

You want a slower powder and lighter bullet. :cheers:

sounds like you are confusing 9mm minor with 9mm major.

very good MAJOR load.

I think it's more an issue of comp vs no comp. No comp - fast powder, heavy bullet shoots soft; comp needs gas volume, so more, slower powder.

very good MAJOR load.

I appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction. It's not so much that I am confused, it's that I still need to do a lot of reading :D

My understanding was that the heavier the weight, the easier on the recoil. It makes sense that a bigger bullet leaves less room for powder. I'm sure I can get the local supplier to quote me on 124 gr copper plated RN.

Edited by Fureio

very good MAJOR load.

I appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction. It's not so much that I am confused, it's that I still need to do a lot of reading :D

My understanding was that the heavier the weight, the easier on the recoil. It makes sense that a bigger bullet leaves less room for powder. I'm sure I can get the local supplier to quote me on 124 gr copper plated RN.

Here are some resources:

http://38super.net/Pages/Recoil.html

http://38super.net/Pages/Gunpowder%20and%20Recoil.html

Keep checking on Montana gold bullets as they come available pretty often. For a major PF gun I would go with the 124 CMJ or JHP for the shorter glock OAL.

http://montanagoldbullet.com/index.php/

For powder check out Hodgdon HS6 or Winchestrer Autocomp as they both work well for major. I use Autocomp in my glock loads and HS6 for the STI

My Glock load is a Montana Gold 124 grain CMJ at 1.16 OAL with 7 grains of Autocomp. I am getting approximately 173-174 PF out of this load consistently depending on the primer used. I have used SPP as well as SRP and while the SPP is a little flatter it is not too bad.

I would Avoid the lead bullets and FMJ bullets as they will cause leading of the comp. I would also avoid plated as the plating may not hold up to Major velocity as most recommend sub 1250 FPS for plated

avoid plated as the plating may not hold up to Major velocity as most recommend sub 1250 FPS for plated

I've only loaded 9 Major with plated bullets: Xtreme 124s and Berry's 135s. Why? because that's all I could get my hands on, however I have enjoyed great accuracy and no problems with the plating peeling off. I think people who have problems with plated bullets are using too much crimp, mine is .378" (just enough to stop bullet setback). Given the results I've seen with plated bullets, I don't see a reason to ever go to CMJs if I can help it. Besides, I've already spent those extra pennies on the mother load of SP2! :devil:

Edited by kneelingatlas

• 5 months later...