Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro-mag Magazines for the M&P

sk330lc

Was at a local shop and they had Pro- mag Magazines for the M&P 9 and 40. I picked up one of the 17rd 9mm mags for testing. Seems well made. have yet to load and try it yet though. Has anyone else tried these? The price was $25 and is marked made in the USA

I have bought three of them. Have shot all three two complete dumps. One round fast fire, and the second round paced steady fire. I had zero issues. With that said I understand that some mag made by Pro-Mag do cause problems. I do not know how far back this problem went. So I can only attest for what I have.

IMHO

:closedeyes:

I have bought three of them. Have shot all three two complete dumps. One round fast fire, and the second round paced steady fire. I had zero issues. With that said I understand that some mag made by Pro-Mag do cause problems. I do not know how far back this problem went. So I can only attest for what I have.

IMHO

:closedeyes:

Please let me know where to buy them! (r.e. 2nd post above)

Had a chance to run about 75 rounds threw the 9mm pro- mag tonight. Zero issues slide locked back every time when empty. I loaded it to capacity 17 the first time around . after that I was only loading 5. I'm hopeful for these mags Only time will tell. I found these at a tractor supply store. They had all kinds of pro- mag brand magazines.

We have them at Rural King here in the Midwest. A buddy of mine picked up a couple for 40 and ran them at a match without any feeding problems. However he wants then to drop free and that has been a task, I have polished, honed, and out right butchered one to no avail. The other just took a little work and it drops free no problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

A buddy of mine picked up a couple for 40 and ran them at a match without any feeding problems. However he wants then to drop free and that has been a task, I have polished, honed, and out right butchered one to no avail. The other just took a little work and it drops free no problem.

Have you made any more progress getting these mags to drop free? I just got a ProMag M&P9 mag, which feeds fine but is nowhere near dropping free. I doubt polishing will be enough... I'm thinking a squeeze in a vice will be needed. Anyone tried this yet?

Edited by StealthyBlagga

i had a few promags hang up. the follower would get hung up on the slidestop actuator tab. by flattening and creating a bigger surface, it was no longer grabbing.

for the price and a bit of tweaking, the promags work flawless for me.

i've even replaced the base plate, spring, base plate catch and follower... it's pretty much a promag shell with s&w factory internals.

My ProMag M&P9 mag was hanging up on the magazine release. In an attempt to fix it, I squeezed it's tube in the vice today. It needed about 0.01" off the front-back dimension. Unfortunately the squeezing resulted in excessive bulging across the width where the tube starts to taper down to the feed lips, plus the feed lips themselves started to splay outwards. Basically, there is just too much metal in the tube! In the end I pretty much had to squeeze the shoulders back in, then bend the lips to the correct spacing. I think I have it right now - it seems to feed OK by hand, and the mag falls free most of the time. Still, I doubt I will use it for any serious competitive use... I have enough S&W-brand mags (which drop free easily 100% of the time) that I have no particular desire to roll the dice on this ProMag. I doubt I will buy any more either.

One more interesting observation: I was able to bend the ProMag tube easily, whereas when I have tried to do the same with a S&W-brand tube in the past, the tube was so hard it cracked... it could only be bent after annealing.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• 2 months later...

A remedy I have employed in the past, on sticky Glock mags, was to cut a piece off a milk carton and wrap it over the mag then insert it in the pistol and let it set overnight. I know that worked on Glocks, perhaps it will work on the S&W M&P too.

I bought two ProMags back in June, and will never buy again. I was doing a steel shoot, and after a second shot, the base failed and the spring shot out the bottom, followed by 14 rounds. Since then, I only use the remaining one for Barney loads. Paid $75 a pop for 8 more of the real deal on GB. Sad when the cost of stuff like this costs as much as the gun.

Few weeks ago, another person had the same thing happen during a USPSA run. Free rounds for everyone.

Dave

Received my replacement magazines. I have a few that would spontaneously disassemble. These new ones seem to be manufactured better. The seam line is gone and the baseplate is tighter. Still not convinced to use in IDPA, but will keep beating them up to test reliability.

kudos ProMag for at least replacing them.

Steve

• 5 months later...

Received my replacement magazines. I have a few that would spontaneously disassemble. These new ones seem to be manufactured better. The seam line is gone and the baseplate is tighter. Still not convinced to use in IDPA, but will keep beating them up to test reliability.

kudos ProMag for at least replacing them.

Steve

The one I bought did this to me Saturday while running drills. Never did find the Spring. Up until it flew apart the mag had run Flawlessly. Not sure if it's worth my time contacting them about it or not. =/