Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

18" rifle length barrel suggestions

Zmego

I just finished my new 3 gun build and I love everything about the gun but the stupid barrel. This is the second one I have gotten from the MFG. and it doesn't shoot worth a damn. I wanted it because it is a LW profile. However, I am sick of it and I am looking for a more accurate replacement. I would prefer lighter weight over heavy contours but I will consider anything. Suggestions?

Right now the problem isn't which manufacturer to choose, but who has one in stock. I just went through this and most if the big names (JP, Criterion, Wilson) are 4-6 months out. I almost pulled the trigger on an AR-stoner (midway house brand) before settling on a Wilson 16" mid gas I found on another forum. The way I figure it should be an improvement on the CL barrel in it now and I can flip that one to get most of my money back. Once the market comes around I'll upgrade to rifle length. So, my advice is watch the forums and or try an AR-stoner.

I have used JP and BCM recently with good results. The JP I used on a prairie dog shoot with excellent results. Heavier than I liked with the med. weight barrel but accuracy was awesome and the barrel stayed cooler with the cooling fin system. The BCM was a heavy wight barrel that was turned down to .750 under the hand guard. It too worked well just not as good as the JP.

I've been running a Nordic 18" for about a year now, and it has been great for me. Not crazy expensive or too heavy either.

Great barrels, but have not been available since October 2012. They are on order...

I am not a patient person and I have a match this weekend so I went with the 18" hybrid contour Criteron from Brownells. It has to be better than what I have and it was in stock. Patience is a virtue I wish I had...but I don't :( Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I have been happy with my 18" LW Noveske barrel. Happy enough that i bought another even though I do not currently need it Not sure how accurate it is as I have only put a couple of 55 gr factory loads through it. It has been great for any long range 3 gun target I have engaged. I know there are more accurate barrels out there but the 18" LW Noveske is plenty accurate for 3 gun.

Rainier gets match and supermatch barrels in every few weeks. I've run two of their 16" barrels and was genuinely impressed.

+1 on the Rainier's. I am running their 16 inch ultramatch and it is GTG. They do an 18 inch intermediate gas ultramatch that might work for you. Or look at their select match "medcon" 18 incher. Just have to get on their "notify me" list. The wait was not too long after i did that.

I bought the AR Stoner 18" that was mentioned earlier in the thread and so far so good with it. Great twist rate , 5r rifling , fluted , hybrid contour , very light . Seems to be accurate enough , though i haven't pushed it out that far as of yet . I'm digging it .

I ended up getting mine from midway . As n FYI the AR Stoner barrels are actually ER Shaw made barrels , so you can check up on them for more info. They just licensed the stoner name

Also consider a 20" bbl. I would personally go with a 20" before a 16" if your hearts set on an 18" and you can't find one. I have used dozens of Bbls in all lengths over the years and by far for all around handling in 3gun competition 20" is my favorite length.

Rainier gets match and supermatch barrels in every few weeks. I've run two of their 16" barrels and was genuinely impressed.

+1 on the Rainier's. I am running their 16 inch ultramatch and it is GTG. They do an 18 inch intermediate gas ultramatch that might work for you. Or look at their select match "medcon" 18 incher. Just have to get on their "notify me" list. The wait was not too long after i did that.
+2. I have an 18" rifle gas ultra match and couldn't be happier on barrel performance alone. See my thread on bolt lock for an issue I have with rifle gas/adjustable block combo problem, but still like the barrel.

Careful. The intermediate gas length requires an intermediate gas tube which is nearly impossible to find. Intermediate is not the same as mid length.

That said, I ran across a LGS in Minden, NV this week who had literal bundles of each length tube. Looking back I should've bought some. Parts are out there, you just have to look.