Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New (and first) AR for 3-gun, what cleaning kit should I get

Iggy42

So I am finally getting my first AR this week. What I don't know is when I take it to the range for the first time, what cleaning kit should I bring with me?

I have seen adds for the Otis system, but I am yet to have any experience with them. I am basically looking for some good advice for a cleaning kit to use mostly after a range day/match. Not to mention I have no idea how to break in a rifle. Doing some research, but hearing from the experts here would be nice.

Edited by Iggy42

No such thing as the rifle needing break in. It should run out of the box.

For cleaning kits, I have both the Otis and the Dewey. The Otis is much more convenient....

Mick

unless you have a krieger, shilen or some other super nice barrel dont worry about it. just shoot it. i bore scoped mine and its scary how many tool marks there are in there, but it shoots fine. dont waste the ammo and time just "breaking it in"

Got an otis kit off a prize table. Liked it well enough to buy another. Like the guy above said it is about the size hockey puck does a good job and is convenient, what's not to like. I have several that I just leave in my various rifle bags.

I have a rifle cleaning kit but never use it. I pull a bore snake through a few times before a match andclean the BCG. Shoot some oil on it and run. Once or twice a year I use a chamber brush on it. Shoot more. clean less.

Doug

I have a rifle cleaning kit but never use it. I pull a bore snake through a few times before a match andclean the BCG. Shoot some oil on it and run. Once or twice a year I use a chamber brush on it. Shoot more. clean less.

Doug

Same as Doug. Bore snake and scrub the BCG. I also clean out the lower receiver with some Q-tips and compressed air. I do use the chamber brush a little more often. Every 250 rds or so.

Never tried to break in any of my AR barrels (including a Krieger) and don't really feel like I missed anything.

At first the only thing I bought to clean my AR was a .223 boresnake and a chamber brush. Eventually I gave in to my laziness and bought a couple of dedicated tools for cleaning carbon build-up off the bolt and the lockup surfaces, but that's not mandatory---it just makes life easier than working inside the upper receiver with a brass toothbrush!

Dewey rod and good bore guide. Once a year I use expanding foam copper fowling cleaner which minimizes the amount of times you send a rod/patch through your barrel. A couple times a year chamber/locking lugs brush drill power driven. Lots of oil!

I use 3 types:

1) For cleaning at home, I have one of the cheap Hoppes aluminum or brass rod sets (the type that screws together). The key with this (and indeed any .22 caliber rod IMHO) is to insert the rod only from the muzzle, then attach the brush or loop/rag, then PULL from chamber to muzzle (out in one stroke). Do not attempt to push the brush at all, as any .22 rod will bend and bind in the bore. This way, I don't feel there is a need for a bore guide.

2) For quick cleans in the field, I use a BoreSnake. Excellent product.

3) For quick chamber cleans and driving out stuck cases, I keep a GI steel rod cleaning kit (with chamber brush) in my range bag.

I also made up a dedicated chamber brush on a pistol cleaning rod just for scrubbing the chamber during home cleaning.

HTH

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Otis kit in my rifle bag, great for at the match, between days etc. Picked up an MPro 7 kit up as part of a prize table pick up and love it. Added a few things like q tips and toothpicks. Really like the non toxic cleaners and the AMU using it helps me think it is a good choice.

I like the Otis kit. Everything fits into a nice portable compact case. Pretty much all you need for travel is some Hoppes and some patches and you are good to go. I think I am like everyone else, wipe them down every once in a while and give a good cleaning a couple of times a year. Great think about the AR, you can carry a small tube of oil and the thing will run forever.