Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me pick a new revolver for USPSA

44stevenson

I would like to get a revolver that I could occasionaly shoot USPSA, but can't really find data on what people are using besides that the majority are shooting S&W, but which models? I had the chance to feel a Dan Wesson that Matt Mink had built that was absolutely awesome feeling. So would you guys give me some suggestions??? Also who is building them?

The king of USPSA Revolver Division is without a doubt the S&W 625 45 ACP with a 5" barrel. Unfortunately S&W no longer offers a 625 with the 5" barrel. If you find a nice used one they are more than a new 625 4".

A lot of people seem convinced the division is going to allow 8 shot minor very soon.

That would be great if so, I would for sure get a 627 then. I don't want to get one though until they are legal. I already have a cz accu-shadow that I'm waiting on to become production legal

S&W 625 PC or JM would be the best current production revolvers in my opinion. A 625 with a 5" barrel is the king of Revolver division. If you have a local ICORE club I would recommend getting a 627. You can shoot the 627 in ICORE limited and USPSA production or L10 depending on your holster. Hopefully the 8 shots become legal in USPSA revolver division so I don't have to keep trying to run down the L10 folks.

Still not sure how I feel about 8 shot minor, I sort of feel it will be the kiss of death for the 625s out there. I'd like to see more participation, but I sort of like having the 6 shots.... Not sure if I can even count to 8 anymore !

Edited by alecmc

Still not sure how I feel about 8 shot minor, I sort of feel it will be the kiss of death for the 625s out there. I'd like to see more participation, but I sort of like having the 6 shots.... Not sure if I can even count to 8 anymore !

The arguement is they are already dead, more or less. If uspsa goes 8 minor then the last place for the 625's will be in IPSC, though I do suspect that dedicated revolver nationals will be at least 6 nuetral or have stages that are designed to dramatically reduce or eliminate the advantage of the extra 2 rounds.

I the change happens as is being speculated(BOD meeting is this week), when I see you at area 8 it will be with a 627....

The arguement is they are already dead, more or less. If uspsa goes 8 minor then the last place for the 625's will be in IPSC, though I do suspect that dedicated revolver nationals will be at least 6 nuetral or have stages that are designed to dramatically reduce or eliminate the advantage of the extra 2 rounds.

I the change happens as is being speculated(BOD meeting is this week), when I see you at area 8 it will be with a 627....

Sort of makes me want to hold out on purchasing an additional 625 for USPSA now. Is the announcement supposed to come by the end of this week ?

Again, Do I want more participation? Definitely ! Do I want to make my 625 useless in competition? Hell no. Personally, at the clubs I shoot at I really couldnt see anybody saying to themselves... oh, .. I can shoot an 8 shot revolver now? Let me go out and buy all the gear now ! -- I just dont see anybody making the cross over to the revolver division if they haven't already. It will always be a small , unoccupied division IMO. It doesnt bother me that when I show up to a match that i'm the only person out of 100 guys shooting a wheel gun.

If what I heard at Revolver Nationals is true it is a done deal with the 8 shot minor. Not sure if as a trial basis or all together done.

I haven't heard that. We do have a Board meeting this weekend. It's not on the agenda, but if it were to come up, this weekend would be the time.

So, to answer the OP's question... Start looking for a 625, but don't buy this week.

If what I heard at Revolver Nationals is true it is a done deal with the 8 shot minor. Not sure if as a trial basis or all together done.

I haven't heard that. We do have a Board meeting this weekend. It's not on the agenda, but if it were to come up, this weekend would be the time.

So, to answer the OP's question... Start looking for a 625, but don't buy this week.

I don't want to be a name dropper but it came from a pretty reliable source. Let's see how the BOD comes out.

I don't want to be a name dropper but it came from a pretty reliable source. Let's see how the BOD comes out.

Okaaay.

I know a guy who heard that 8 shot minor wasn't even on the agenda for the next BOD meeting. I'm not going to drop names, but he is an Area director (which puts him on the board.) ;)

Cool and hilarious hope you are as funny in person as you are on the key board and to set the record straight I never said it was on this BOD meetings agenda. I just said what was told to me and it will be disappointing if it does not make it at a later date. As I see it if changes do not happen in revolver it will go by the way of the Dodo bird and even if the changes don't make a difference at least an effort was made to save the division.By the way the MCC and the stand alone nationals are a effort in the right direction. Me I will always shoot revolvers even if I have to in other divisions. So for now I will keep spinning the cylinder whether it is 6 shot or 8 shot, USPSA or ICORE.

Peace Out

Revoman

Sounds like my guy knew something EF Hutton didn't and I still won't drop a name but I imagine that I will let you know if he drops another hint on things to come. :-) :-)

If it was a done deal, as you said, we wouldn't still be talking about it. What I told you was spot on. What we had was something that was added to the meeting agenda a the last moment. It is good that we are having member feedback, because I don't think you want division changes made on the fly, by folks sitting in a meeting trying to get through a work load full of various business.

Sounds like my guy knew something EF Hutton didn't and I still won't drop a name but I imagine that I will let you know if he drops another hint on things to come. :-) :-)

If it was a done deal, as you said, we wouldn't still be talking about it. What I told you was spot on. What we had was something that was added to the meeting agenda a the last moment. It is good that we are having member feedback, because I don't think you want division changes made on the fly, by folks sitting in a meeting trying to get through a work load full of various business.

I guess to clarify myself the done deal was to bring it to the board and not just another topic talked about by members and never taken to the board. I appreciate the hard work you and the other board members put in to make our sport what it is today.

For revolver division I hope there is change and just for the record I would like to see 8 minor/6 major and if possible somehow get open revolver in the game.

Again thanks for all your hard work and I never meant any disrespect.