Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2005 USPSA AREA 2 - 3 GUN MATCH

The 2005 Area 2 - 3 Gun Match will be held on February 12-13 at the 5 Dogs Shooting range in Bakersfield, California. We will have 15 freestyle courses of fire. We'll have single gun stages and also multi gun stages. We'll have shots ranging anywhere from 3 yards all the way to 400 yards. Round count will be aprox 370 rounds plus. All 15 satges and online registration can be viewed at USPSA's Area 2 web site ( www.uspsa2.org ) Under events.

Thanks and hope to see you all there

Ronald Walter Filho

Match Director

• 1 month later...

We've updated a few stages for the 2005 Area 2 - 3 Gun match. We've got 419 rounds and 5 multi gun stages out of the 15 stages. Stages are up online at www.uspsa2.org. The entire match including all 15 stages will be filmed by a professional crew. A DVD will be released later, so you might end up on the DVD, who knows? Prize table is looking very good with $30k in prizes and growing everyday, including a few awesome uppers from Mid South Tactical which will be our Major Match Sponsor, Some Springfield M1As Socom rifles, a bunch of Springfield XD and Beretta 92F Vertec pistols. We still have a few stages available for sponsorship. If you know someone that might be interested, please let them know.

Thanks

Ronald Walter Filho

Just a quick question some of us may have;

Having never traveled to California loaded to the gills with firearms, what are the laws pertaining to coming into California with ARs, shotguns, and pistols, and all the assorted paraphernalia for 3gun including hi-cap mags? :)

Thanks!

JJ

Me too! Let us know what we have to do to get our guns and mags in and back out of the communist republic of California. It still amazes me that so many good freedom loving folks populate the state........... ya'll are the greatest!!!!

Did a search for "California gun laws" and found ONLY three hits; One on idpa stuff and didn't have any info except somebody ranting about California gun laws. Two had ANOTHER post from warpspeed saying the same thing he did here, "do a search". The third had some stuff, best I could gleen from it was that HANDGUNS are ok except for compensators that are threaded, and mags over 10 rounds are expressly verbotten. So I fail to realize where all the "debated / discussed / beaten it to death" occured in three items? Guess I will just call the guys running the area 2 3gun match... and everyone else that is concerned about this will probably call them too... UNLESS 01 Z06 will leave something here... :)

Thanks...

JJ

So if a LE types shows up with Standard Cap mags, can they use them? 3-Gun in California is like Euro Disney in France...nice idea, but why? I don’t think we’ll be there, hard for me to spend time/money in a state that wants to see me out of business and has deemed all my products to be illegal… Best of luck

3-Gun in California is like Euro Disney in France...nice idea, but why?

What's with all the Kali hate?

If you take a look... Mike Voit and Taran Butler (the 2004 USPSA 3G Champions for Open and Tactical respectively) are both local southern Kalifornia shooters. At least 5+ of the top 16 in Tactical at Reno were Kalifornia shooters. The statewide CA 3-Gun series has been running for years. There are multiple 3-gun and rifle club matches throughout Kalifornia. 3-Gun in Kali exists and is alive if not thriving.

And when you get down to it, what's the difference between a 3-gun match and a pistol match in terms of the law? And yet we've just had the Infinity down here and northern Kali folks have a number semi-major and major matches throughout a given year.

What companies do you guys represent?

At least 5+ of the top 16 in Tactical at Reno were Kalifornia shooters.

And a few open shooters too, Mike Voigt, Adam Carlson and me (14th)!

This issue is bringing and AR into CA, big no-no as are hi-cap mags.

It's pretty much impossible for any NEW shooters in Kalifornia to obtain the equipment neccessary to be competitive in 3 gun, ARs high cap mags, semi auto shotguns with certain features....yeah the sport might be thriving there now, but how about when all those guys get older, and they're not even allowed to legally transfer their firearms to their next of kin when they pass-on?

Religious Shooter,

The match is no different in terms of the law, however the host state is and I think it makes for an incredibly undesireably choice for a lot of shooters to go to.

Could someone just give us the bottom line on how to transport AR's/high caps to matches in California, their 3 gun series is highly talked about, alot of arizona/nevada/new mexico people are hesitant until they get definate answers. people hear too many horror stories and dont want to get in trouble.

It's pretty much impossible for any NEW shooters in Kalifornia to obtain the equipment neccessary to be competitive in 3 gun, ARs high cap mags, semi auto shotguns with certain features....

1100's, 1187's, Benelli's, SX2's, etc. can be bought without a problem here. The almost ready for prime time 1100 CM is used by a # of shooters here and they post-date the f'd up laws that were passed. No problems at all with "normal" shotguns. Only the Saiga and high dollar magazine fed shotguns aren't available. But hell the "normal" shotguns have won the vast majority of matches.

High cap mags? Heck what did all those STI/SVI people do during 1994-2004?

As far as rifles, IMHO AR's aren't the only guns out there that are competitive. The M1A series is legal and the Mini-14 and Kel-tec SU-16 are available. Give a fixed up Mini to Taran and he would still win Tactical. It's not all about the equipment.

yeah the sport might be thriving there now, but how about when all those guys get older, and they're not even allowed to legally transfer their firearms to their next of kin when they pass-on?

The majority of the shooters are in their 30's. So I guess in 20-30 years you would see the AR's go away. But people adapt. As I mentioned the Mini-14 and SU-16 are ready substitutes.

The match is no different in terms of the law, however the host state is and I think it makes for an incredibly undesireably choice for a lot of shooters to go to.

I hear ya... but the hard core will come to Bakersfield. :D

Could someone just give us the bottom line on how to transport AR's/high caps to matches in California,  their 3 gun series is highly talked about, alot of arizona/nevada/new mexico people are hesitant until they get definate answers. people hear too many horror stories and dont want to get in trouble.

The only definate answers I found in my searches are the actual California laws. They are pretty clear that there is a competition exemption for CA "Assault Weapons" (which is broader than you might think), with details of what you can and can't do with them while you're there. They are also pretty clear that there is not a similar exemption for hicap magazines, unless they were owned, by you, in CA, before the ban.

In truth I've never been checked, and don't know anybody that has either, but as the nice officer says "ignorance is no excuse" and just because everybody else was speeding doesn't give you a right to as well.

Just come on over and don't worry about it. I'll be knocking on wood as I type this but I've lived here all my lfe, taken my guns all over the state and have never been questioned about them, granted I've never been pulled over by the police while they were in my car.

The competiton exemption is pretty wierd, it was originally written for the End of Trail Cowbay Action shoot a few years back because most lever rifles will hold more than 10 rounds and it was the magazine capacity that was the hang up. I don't think they every though about a competition using AR's.

Oh yeah, the border inspection stations are for fruit, not for anything else so don't let that freak you out, because it has some Californian's I know.

Thanks guys for the replys, I am talking with some of the Dillon boys to see if I could ride up with them, if they go. Of course I'll be representing the good ol boys from CAV arms. I think it would be a good warmup for Mystery mountain, thanks for answering everyones conserns.

BerKim,

I don't have any first hand experience, but Ron Filho, Match Director, is working on a Hotel/Motel listing.

As soon as he sends to me I will post on the Area 2 Website and leave a note here.

dvc

Jerry

Got the Match Hotel - Map - Directions from Ron Today (19 Dec).

Click here.

To clarify this issue of importing Assault Weapons and High Capacity Magazines into the State of California.

California Law says:

You can bring your Assault Weapon to participate in a competition in the State of California .

You CAN NOT bring any high capacity magazines (Any Magazine that holds more than 10 rounds) into the State of California.

But the law does not prohibit anyone from bringing or importing magazine replacement parts. Like mag tubes, followers, springs, base pads etc... Those are legal to buy and import into the state

Our Match Hotel will be the CLARION HOTEL. The hotel is 20 miles from the 5 Dogs Range. We have a block of 50 rooms reserved for the Area 2 Championship. For reservations call toll free (888) 326-1121 and mention that you are with the Area 2 – 3 Gun Championship and you will receive a special rate of $79 + tax per night for a room with 2 beds.

Online Registration and all the information that you need is up and running at www.uspsa2.org, click "EVENTS"

Hopefully this will ansewer all your questions.

Thanks and see you at the range

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I just talked to some people in the know about the Area 2 3 gun match..........here is what I got about the prize table.....50K plus, including 3 M1A's, 8 XD pistols, 5 Berreta 92 vector's, Mid South Tactical uppers (very nice), lots of JP uppers, lots of DPMS uppers and a whole lot more!!..........Those of you 3 gunners going to Superstition Mountain......this will be a great prelim...........if you got shut out of Superstition Mountain......this is where you can make it up!.......The stages are awsome with a good mix of shooting that all levels will enjoy........you can see them at the USPSA website under Area 2 info........If you are worried about going to California with all of your gear I offer this.........I have made countless driving trips there over the last 4 years and never had any problems.....I have been in their airports with all my 3 gun gear......never a problem.....come to 5 Dog's Range and have some fun.......like SVI4ME sais.......they have better things to do!!

See you at the match

Robb Woods

Team Infinity