Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2005 USPSA AREA 2 - 3 GUN MATCH

Hi All

I just talked to some people in the know about the Area 2 3 gun match..........here is what I got about the prize table.....50K plus, including 3 M1A's, 8 XD pistols, 5 Berreta 92 vector's, Mid South Tactical uppers (very nice), lots of JP uppers, lots of DPMS uppers and a whole lot more!!..........Those of you 3 gunners going to Superstition Mountain......this will be a great prelim...........if you got shut out of Superstition Mountain......this is where you can make it up!.......The stages are awsome with a good mix of shooting that all levels will enjoy........you can see them at the USPSA website under Area 2 info........If you are worried about going to California with all of your gear I offer this.........I have made countless driving trips there over the last 4 years and never had any problems.....I have been in their airports with all my 3 gun gear......never a problem.....come to 5 Dog's Range and have some fun.......like SVI4ME sais.......they have better things to do!!

See you at the match

Robb Woods

Team Infinity

rob...shhhhhh!!!

just waiting for my black hills order...i'll be there...looks like a gas. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Rigger, bringing your gear into (and out of California) for an organized competitive shooting event is not an issue. Lock the pistol and long guns in the cases, and keep the ammo separate. Hi capacity magazines are not illegal to bring into California, as long as you don't intend to sell them...

Great match, rain just threatened, never really happened.

Thanks to everyone who put the match on!

I'll defintely be back next year, if you have it again.

And as a new RO, thanks to eveyone that helped me, and put up with me on Statge 3.

Anyone know if the results going to be posted on a site somewhere?

This was a really great match!! All the staff and the RO's went out of their way to ensure that we all had a great time and a good match!! The stages were awesome and the prizes were really something!! Thanks so very much Ron and Staff...Rod and I loved the match!!! Hope you do it next year!!

Cheryl :)

To all the shooters who braved the trek to beautiful Bakersfield, California! The members of 5 Dogs Action Shooters would like to thank you all for participating in the first Area 2 3-Gun Match. This was a big step up from our annual 1-day 5-Dogs Winter Classic Match usually held in January and the CA 3-gun match series that we also host here in April. As a fellow 3-gunner I know what shooters expect in a match and hope that it met all your expectations.

We hope that you enjoyed our facility, stages, and hospitality. Come back and visit Bakersfield again!

I also would like to thank all my fellow club members, and volunteers who without their help, this match would not have run as smoothly as it did.

I also would like to have any feedback on this match, good or bad so we can do it better in the future.

Wayde Shimoda

Area 2 3-Gun Range Master

5 Dogs Member

This was a superlative but grueling 3-gun match. Great stages throughout; big kudos to Ron Fihlo for doing the heavy lifting. There weren't enough RO's so it ran long each day, but overall everyone I talked with loved it.

Tom

Fabulous match!

Every stage was a creative series of skill tests, free of any sadistic content. The RO's were the friendliest I've come across at any match and I can't believe they got us through it in only two (long) days.

The prize table was great and awards and prize distribution was efficient.

It would be hard to improve on this match but to make it ideal for Sue and I, a Friday, Saturday and half Sunday format would have been terrific. Six stages Friday and Saturday and three on Sunday would allow for a little down time to hang out with all the great people we've met in this sport and it would leave us a bit of travel time Sunday. The down time would be better for the vendors also. However, I do understand that the extra day would be harder on the officiating crew and match officials as it would entail an extra day off work.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this match great and a big thanks to Ron for the sacrafices he made to direct one of the best three gun matches I've been to.

Dave

Though I have limited experience (this was my second big match) I thought this match was awesome. The best big match I've shot.

- Great, friendly and hardworking RO's.

- Great stages.

- Real rifle stages (i.e. 200 through 300+ yards shots). I'd like to see more 200-300 yard shots as well as the 300+ yards.

- Great prize table (Even with my low placement I was able to score a slide $180 and a magwell $45 => $225).

Suggestions:

- Have port-a-potties on the outlying stages for convience. I saw one of the RO's take a leak beside his vehicle (or at least someone's vehicle) :D .

- The slug stage bogged down everybody. Even though the RO had a bike and the assistants had the ATV it just wasn't enough. I guess the slugs targets could be brought closer or just use more steel in these stages. Or just allot more time for the longer stages. It's OK for club matches where there are only 20 or so shooters. But when you get to 100+ it becomes a problem.

- Posting interrim results would have been cool. I guess you guys had computer (speed) problems.

- I don't know if it's just the way it is with big matches (I think the same thing happened in Reno), but the speed the match was scored was kinda slow. It looked like there was only one computer and Lisa(?) was the only one entering scores. Maybe have two or three workstations? Also I guess the USPSA scoring program's problems with 3-Gun matches reared it's ugly head. Some of the shooters were suggesting that they should have just scored the problem classes (Heavy Metal and maybe Tactical) as separate matches. A possible option if the program hasn't been fixed come next year.

But in any case this was a great and grueling (still sore) match. I'd ink it in for next year if it was still held at Bakersfield.

My thanks to the sponsors, the RO's, the people who worked-it and to 5-Dogs.

Match Results for the 2005 Area 2 - 3 Gun Championship are posted. Click on the link below.

Note: Tactical results are posted under "Limited 10" links.

My .php file is not set up for 3 Gun Matches.

Rifle and Shotgun results are posted under respective Pistol divisions and stages - just scroll down to see results.

2005 Area 2 - 3 Gun Championship at 5 Dogs - CA - 12-13 Feb

Note: Large 350k file - be patient for download

dvc

Jerry