Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

classic turrent 4 hole

bodene 5

If you mean the Lee classic cast turret, I have one and am very happy with it. Good price and does everything short of being a full on progressive press.

If you are just getting into reloading I would definitely recommend it as a first press.

It can operate as a single stage press for learning each function. And it can be used with its auto advance feature to greatly speed up production.

It's not the the best press in the world, but possibly the most versatile press for the money.

yes the lee classic cast turret thanks for the correction do they make accurate enough ammo for steel match .my breech lock single stage did but takes so long shoot about 300 rounds a month

Edited by bodene 5

I use one for long range rifle where each charge is weighed. It's good for that sort of thing and great for load development but I wouldn't want to be doing any large volume on it.

But for smaller volumes, you would be surprised at how fast you can put it out, particularly if you put one of the auto-disk powder measures on it. I won't say that 300 in one hour is impossible, but it would darn sure take a lot of practice. You should have no problem doing 300 in an evening if you pay attention to what you are doing.

RammerJammer must be loading his ammo after taking some meth, haha.

I did just check my speed on reloading some 9mm, and my best rate was about 200 rounds per minute. That's about all you'll get at a reasonable pace. And don't forget there is brass prep and setup/cleanup time to consider.

I batch prep my brass in 5 gallon buckets, then fill a plastic bin with brass and another with bullets. the primer feed is the flip tray so that is quick, the powder bin just gets filled and away I go. I use all brass and only sort the crushed stuff as I do brass prep so I dont sort at the press.

yes sir I set it up and it was running smooth as pie . hava a sdb for 9 it is also very nice but I am very pleased with the lct and really enjoy loading with it have a bunch of mismatched bullets that I need to get loaded it wil be great for that I load 9 45 and 223 thank you all for you're input this site is great

I had one Of the lee classic turret 4 hole presses. Really liked it for loading rifle ammo. Gave it to a colleague at work that wanted to get started in hand loading. He is still using it.

I may actually buy another because it was so useful.

I went to load ammo...

I have changed my tune.

I no longer think I can do 200 rounds in an hour over a couple of hours.

miss timing myself or having a good streak may be why I thought I could run that fast.

oddly enough, I think I can do 50 rounds in 15 minutes.... sometimes

reload the primer tray?

find the primer lever the pops out and I have to retrieve...

the sizing die catches the case and I have to guide it. occasionally.

box the ammo when you hit overflow.

strange how little things add up

I think one can do 100/hr on a 4 hole turret no problem

150/hr and up require skills like not fumbling.

I think it is a good press. not as fast as a progressive, certainly.

It is useful.

miranda

For powder throws outside my autodisk, I run about 130 an hour using a chargemaster. If I am using the autodisk and a powder that meters well I run about 260 an hour. Limitations being adding primers and fatigue. I also normally load about 1-2 hours a session at most.

Find that I shoot (was attending 3 matches a month am now down to 1 till july) about 1k a month which isn't hard to support with the Lee turret. I also load 300 for each local match with 120 or so avg round counts. bigger matches in my area push 200 or more but they are travel intensive so I am really only loadiloading to support live fire practice (100 rounds or less) and whatever I shoot at matches.

• 3 weeks later...

My first and only press is the Lee Classic Cast Turret 4 hole. Many thousands of trouble free rounds. For match/precision rifle, I would recommend a cast single stage, but for general use, it can't be beat. Separate turret heads (cheap) for each caliber is a big plus. 150/200 rounds an hour is certainly doable, but I generally

do 100 rounds and take a break. I have my RCBS powder measure mounted to the expander die with an adaptor (didn't care for the Lee measure) so I have to manually throw the charge, but once in a rythem it is no big deal.

I use a Dillon 650 for "bulk" loading of 45ACP, and a LCTP for everything else. Before I got into "volume" pistol shooting a year or so ago, I did all my loading on a LCTP. The ammo I get from my Dillon is no better than from the LCTP. Actually, I need to need more careful about QC with ammo coming off the Dillon than LCTP, because there's so little that can go wrong with a LCTP. That being said, unless you want to spend more time reloading than shooting, a progressive is the only way to go to support "volume" shooting.

After getting a Dillon 650 ,I've come to appreciate more greatly the following in the LCTP: Very versatile, cheap and fast to change calibers. A caliber change costs like $50 tops, for a Lee 3 or 4 die set, and a turret to screw the dies into into. And changing from large to small primers takes about 2 seconds.

Also, if I'm doing load development for 45ACP, which I load in bulk on my Dillon, I'll do it on the LCTP, because it it much easier to load a few rounds, adjust, load a few more, and experiment with than the progressive. With the double disk kit, you can even load some lighter rifle rounds without having to hand-measure.

Edited by johnmac

• 4 weeks later...

My first press was a turret press that I still have. I made the mistake of going to a loadmaster, I then corrected it by getting a 650. I use the 650 primarily, but my turret press is there just in case.

Some of the other posts refer to 200 rounds per hour. Yeah, I was tried going as last as I could and loaded 221 rounds in an hour. The turret press is not made for that speed. Its purpose is to make quality ammo at a slower pace. 100-125 rounds an hour is average for quality rounds.