Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just swapped my 9mm dillon die with a Lees die and ..........

chopps

now all my bullet C.O.A.L are withing 5 thousands of each other and I am happy. Before with the dillon die I was lucky to be within 10 to 15 thousands up or down on my 650.

The $22 bucks its well worth that investment.

Thanks to Calls Shots who suggested it in another thread.

Edited by chopps

parade...

rain...

call me little cloud.

you will find that the seating dies are quite variable.

the ogives of the bullets and seats if the dies can cause a lot of variation.

I find the the PD bullets I have are good in a RCBS seating die

and the plated ones were much happier with the Lee.

keep the dillon seating die. The Lee ain't always the best.

The precision target rifle guys have seating dies for each type of bullet they seat.

... well it is what they say...

your mileage may vary.

miranda

parade...

rain...

call me little cloud.

you will find that the seating dies are quite variable.

the ogives of the bullets and seats if the dies can cause a lot of variation.

I find the the PD bullets I have are good in a RCBS seating die

and the plated ones were much happier with the Lee.

keep the dillon seating die. The Lee ain't always the best.

The precision target rifle guys have seating dies for each type of bullet they seat.

... well it is what they say...

your mileage may vary.

miranda

Agreed I will keep the Dilon dies incase they work better in other bullets.

Just with these plated ones lee works best.

As much as I hate to compare Lee to Dillon I must admit I have found this to be true also. I get better consistency using the Lee seating die. To look at the Lee die with its plastic adjustment plug and the el cheapo rubber o-ring locking nut you would think it was junk compared to the Dillon stuff but the bullet seating die works better for me also.

Plastic Adjustment Plug? Parts on the Lee seating die are Aluminum and steel. I find the Lee seating dies and sizing dies to be better then all the others I have tried. I do take the seating stem out, put it in the chuck of a drill and spin it while I polish it with some very fine wet dry paper. I also shoot lead so I had a friend put the stem in a Lath and drill a hole down the center so the wax has a place to go before it changes OAL. I also drilled a hole in the top adjuster so it also vents. That last bit is probably a total waste but who cares. The hole in the stem is totally worth it.

As much as I hate to compare Lee to Dillon I must admit I have found this to be true also. I get better consistency using the Lee seating die. To look at the Lee die with its plastic adjustment plug and the el cheapo rubber o-ring locking nut you would think it was junk compared to the Dillon stuff but the bullet seating die works better for me also.

Don't see any plastic plug on mine all steel and aluminum.

Plastic Adjustment Plug? Parts on the Lee seating die are Aluminum and steel. I find the Lee seating dies and sizing dies to be better then all the others I have tried. I do take the seating stem out, put it in the chuck of a drill and spin it while I polish it with some very fine wet dry paper. I also shoot lead so I had a friend put the stem in a Lath and drill a hole down the center so the wax has a place to go before it changes OAL. I also drilled a hole in the top adjuster so it also vents. That last bit is probably a total waste but who cares. The hole in the stem is totally worth it.

Heck out of the box its good for me but I may polish it next time I readjust it for heck of it to.

My Lee dies are old and yes the bullet seater adjustment is black plastic. My 9mm dies are 25 years or older and at that time the seater adjustment was black plastic. I can provide a picture for all non believers or young whipper snappers that are younger than these dies. :surprise:

Edited by bowenbuilt

I have used Lee U dies and Redding Competition Seating Dies for all of my pistol loading. I rarely have a round that will not case guage. I am 100 % Dillon with the exception of the Lee and Redding dies.

My Lee dies are old and yes the bullet seater adjustment is black plastic. My 9mm dies are 25 years or older and at that time the seater adjustment was black plastic. I can provide a picture for all non believers or young whipper snappers that are younger than these dies. :surprise:

Heck I believe ya just never saw one is all.

I am a little more than twice as old as your dies ;)

Edited by chopps

The Lee bullet seater dies work good and are easy to adjust, but I have been using the Hornady New dimension seater dies for pistol and .223 rifle.

The Hornady's are very consistent and easy to adjust and the hornady microjust seating stem can be added (about 24 bucks) if you want vernier capability, and the seating die is only about 20 bucks or less. The best part about the Hornady seating dies is that they have a sleeve which floats up and centers the bullet....so you won't get your thumb smashed in the press when seating the bullet because the floating sleeve moves up and gives you warning that you are about to load your thumb with the bullet.

Leedie.jpg

Here is the plastic adjustment plug on my Lee seating die. I purchased this set of dies in the very early 80's. Still works great after all these years.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Are you guys just replacing the seating dies? or the whole dillon set for the Lee's carbide dies?

I just replaced the seating die but bought the crimp die to so if I got a wild hair later I could replace it to. I like the adjustement knob on both whereas no tools needed to fine tune them. I bought mine direct from lee they have the seat die instock but not the others they said.

ebay has them at a good price for those interested.

Edited by chopps

I do use Lee seating dies in addition to Dillon, depending on the round and projectile. I find that one or the other seems to work best for each combination, and since components have been so challenging I find myself having to load unfamiliar projectiles more often than not these days.

Good to have a couple of options and try them out when working up a new round.

I have Lee Seating die for my 40 and 9mm for my 550...the only drawback for Lee dies is the opening, not a progressive

friendly. Not like Dillon dies, the opening is humongous not like the Lee, its almost straight. The thing I like Lee are for their adjustable seating stem.

Edited by fishpinoy27

I have found that it really depends on the bullet ogive as to which one is more consistent. The 9mm BC RN 135g molys I use seat more consistently off the ogive with the Dillon dies but of course has a great OAL variance than using the Lees which have a more consistent OAL but greater variance when measuring off the ogive. The issue is whether they are pushing down on the tip or the actual ogive which is more consistent.

I learned this through loading precision rifle that the preference for a more consistent inside the case area is always more desirable so always and check off the ogive when setting my dies. At that point +/- 0.005 OAL.