Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Accurate 308 Semi-Auto AR Pattern Rifle

cbrussell

Price not with standing, what is the most accurate AR style semi auto 308 cal rifle? Either stock or custom; which one? Three I have been looking at are the JP, Les Baer and GAP.

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flex hit the nail. Are you talking one shot long range accuracy or multi-shot short to medium range?

If the answer is one-shot, then the answer is none of them, unless you have money to spend. Dollar for dollar, a bolt action is going to out perform every semi-auto made.

Edited by Graham Smith

I will be looking at bolt options after this purchase, but for now I am interested in a semi-auto AR-15 platform. As to one shot or thirty, I am not looking to burn ammo but do some long range precision shooting utilizing the 308 cal.

Thanks

Price not with standing, what is the most accurate AR style semi auto 308 cal rifle? Either stock or custom; which one? Three I have been looking at are the JP, Les Baer and GAP.

Thanks for the help.

The Larue OBR my friend has is an honest 3/4 moa gun with Federal Match. The GAP I used to own was a 1.25 moa gun but it was an older one built on an Armalite rifle. The new POF's are supposed to be much better. If I were to do it again I would get the JP. The reason being my JP15 is one of the most accurate rifles I own and I can only imagine they do the same attention to detail with their .308's. JP for me from now on.

Pat

I will be looking at bolt options after this purchase, but for now I am interested in a semi-auto AR-15 platform. As to one shot or thirty, I am not looking to burn ammo but do some long range precision shooting utilizing the 308 cal.

Thanks

What kind of range, what kind of targets? If you are talking +1000yd stuff then you are going to be looking at the longer heavier bullets and twist rate and barrel length will start to become an issue as will OAL and magazine length.

If you are willing to spend some $$ for really long range accuracy, you might want to call Georgia Precision Arms and talk with them. Also consider a different caliber. The .260 REM and 6.5mm variants will give you better ballistics with reduced recoil and muzzle jump. You might also want to talk with Benny Hill, Firebird Precision, and JP Rifles. All of them can put you on a tack-driver rifle.

Yeah, my LRP-07 is a tack driver. It's an MOA or better rifle out to 600 with most every type of ammo I've run through it. I even have some old Wolf, steel case, copper jacket which groups slightly less than MOA. My best hand loads produce about .6" groups at 100, when I do my job. I have a buddy with an OBR, which seems to produce about the same level of raw accuracy. Another buddy has an LMT, which is also an excellent rifle and doesn't group quite as tight, but still runs close to MOA with most ammo (even Win White Box). When chosing a competition rifle though, there is more to consider than just the raw accuracy. At a large match you might shoot 40-50rds on one stage and inside of 90sec. The rifle needs to be able to take the heat and not have a significant POI shift. It has to be ubber reliable and low maintenance. If your rifle does go down it has to be back up with easily attainable parts. 3gun rifles get ridden hard and right at the edge of performance, so a company with a good customer service base is extremely important too. While raw accuracy is certainly a very important factor, the story simply doesn't stop there. It's really about hitting targets as often and as fast as possible. My JP is accurate, reliable, has excellent shooting manors, is quick back on target. It's relatively light weight and I've not yet experienced a POI shift, even during a long stage. The company has a very responsive customer service and people are genuinely shocked to hear about anyone having a problem with a JP rifle. There is a reason why so many top competitors run their gear.

Another question which might throw a wrinkle into the decision; I might be interested in installing a silencer on the AR 308. Would that make a difference in which manufacturer or type of AR platform. AS of now I seem to have narrowed my choice down to either a Les Baer or JP. My current thinking is the JP route may allow me to customize the gun a bit more but perhaps the silencer idea changes everything. As you can tell I am a bit new to some of these options and the effect they might have on gun choices.

Thanks

Me too. A couple of buddies have them, and they seem to be well made, but they don't do anything to support our sport and they do odd things with their specs. Right off the bat, they use propritary barrel threads, which excludes 90% of the hand guards on the market. If you're on a budget, then get a DPMS. They are better than most give them credit for and DPMS is the common spec pattern.

If you are considering putting a can on it, call them and talk with them first. A lot of things change when you go suppressed. Given the time that it takes to get a suppressor, you can get something now that's 95% suppressor ready and order whatever upgrades you want to go with the suppressor.

My vote is JP LRP-07 it is the finest rifle I have EVER SEEN OR SHOT. But if your budget is a little tight then go with GAP-10, this might be the only rifle that can stay with LRP-07. I have a JP LRP-07 and would not sell it for any amount, also JP's customer service is second to none.

My most accurate 308 semi is an out of the box DPMS with a 24" heavy (VERY heavy) barrel. We put a JP trigger in it and it's been hand's down more accurate than the other (2) 308 uppers I have. That barrel for what ever reason, just shoots....maybe its the "blind pig that found the slop hole"......but I won't give it up for anything.

Tim