Most Accurate 308 Semi-Auto AR Pattern Rifle

cbrussell

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not the .7mm-08? 162 grain Amax has super ballistics;

It's a good caliber but it's just not "sexy" any more. The new young studs on the line are all 6mm and 6.5mm and the loads they are making for these are scarey accurate and very low recoil.

I'm not sure about loads for the 162 AMAX in a 7-08. I've seen the numbers on a 7mm mag and they are impressive as hell, but not on the 7-08. What's your load and what kind of velocity are you getting?

As to down-range energy, that may be an issue in hunting but not so much so for paper.

6MM creedmoor has just as good or even better ballistics w/ less recoil and no issues getting the round to feed w/ a PMAG. GAP made this round to mirror 243 win performance but conveniently work in a PMAG. If the gun is going to do double duty as a hunting rig, then 7-08 may be ok provided you can find any 162 AMAXs. Please let me know if you know where to get your hands on some of these in stock.

remember that what you can do, velocity wise, in a bolt gun does not safely transfer over to a gas gun. Ex. while 2800fps in a 260 w/140gr is doable in a bolt gun, 2600 is more likely in the gas gun. So look at dropping 100 to 200 fps with whatever caliber when using the gas gun.

Trapr

• 2 weeks later...

I just ran 135gr SMK in my JP 308 at RM3G, and that combo was money. .75 moa on paper, and ran extremely flat. I wad pushing 2850fps from an 18" barrel and 45gr IMR8208. No signs of pressure issues. I didn't get a ton of time with these bullets before the match and only got to burn a couple hundred in practice. I actually found myself having to correct for too much hold over and too much wind. Whichever 308 semi you like, those 135 SMk are the shizzle!

Those who DIY built their rifles, what BCG has been the most successful/reliable/etc? SI-Defense has been out of stock for some time. Looked at Rubber City, Fulton/DPMS NiB. Not interested in "lightweight" whatever, just standard dimension/weight. I'd like to stick with NiB. Lots of low buck units out there, but you get what you pay for sometimes.

JP is by far a cut above the rest. Its a whole different gun. Like not an AR-10, but something better. Its more than just accurate. Its everything else too.

That said, GA Precision is a precision rifle...

LaRue is a precise hitting battle rifle...

I think putting any three of them in the hands of a good shooter, and you'd get spectacular results.

Oh yea, nobody mentioned Hogan... they make a fine rifle. I believe they make the action for the GAP-10. If I'm not mistaken they used to make the action for POF, before POF bought their own equipment to make themselves. I wouldn't put them on level with the top three, but they are for sure a cut above the rest.

Those who DIY built their rifles, what BCG has been the most successful/reliable/etc? SI-Defense has been out of stock for some time. Looked at Rubber City, Fulton/DPMS NiB. Not interested in "lightweight" whatever, just standard dimension/weight. I'd like to stick with NiB. Lots of low buck units out there, but you get what you pay for sometimes.

If you want the rifle to run like a ferrari, you need the JP BCG. The lower weight really smooths out the recoil impulse. Also the increased bearing surface makes the action feel like it's on roller bearings. If you are on a tight budget, then a standard DPMS carrier will get the job done, but I won't field a 308 AR without the JP enhanced bolt with the new extractor. Case extraction is the one weakness on the DPMS platform guns and JP has done the most work to correct the design, making the rifles much more reliable. Also, 308 rifles are much more finicky than 223s. Get it properly head spaced to save some heartache at the range. Good luck on your build. Let us know how it turns out.

The barrel includes a headspaced bolt. It's through a reputable manufacturer that appears to have a long standing rep for quality and accuracy, not a "cheap" company. Rifle length spring and buffer, rifle length gas system, and JP adjustable gas block. Figured I'd keep the extra bolt for backup. I'm not cutting corners, but I don't want to spend $400 on a BCG.

Edited by soflarick

• 2 weeks later...

I run a Lilja 308 win with 1in11 twist 20" barrel upper with a match CMMG lower with JP trigger deadly accrate. But I have not shot it much. Kind of stuck on my pre 64 custom winchester 1 in 11.5 twist 24 inch heavy barrel.

100_0642_zps24604646.jpg

• 3 weeks later...