Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Accurate 308 Semi-Auto AR Pattern Rifle

cbrussell

My JP AR is gnats ass accurate. My other is JP in all but the lower and upper, everything else is jP. Both are very accurate, like <.3 MOA

I recently accomplished this with an LR-308 that was heavily based in JP components using factory Hornady 168gr 308 AMAX ammo. Basically, everything JP but the LR-308 upper receiver (actually, re-assembled by JP). I couldn't believe my eyes as I looked for the other bullet holes through my 10x scope. I was scared that I was subconsciously flinching and tossing the other rounds way off target. Got to the target and saw the marks from the other bullets all tightly grouped together.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My LRP-07 is a unbelievable platform. I use it in Heavy Optics division with a Leupold MK6 1-6 with 110gr. bullets and it's dead accurate for a 3 gun rifle. Next month I will use it in the Texas Police Olympics with a Vortex 5-20 Razor for the precision rifle match. I think it will hang with all the bolt guns that will be there.

It is hard to believe just how accurate a JP LRP-07 is, I agree that you will be able to hang with the bolt action rifles. The quality and precision that JP puts into his rifles have to be seen to believed. I think that only a GAP-10 could come close to a LRP-07. We are very lucky men.

I have shot a lot of gas guns in 308 and 260, yes a bolt gun is more accurate by maybe 10%. but the ability to stay behind the gun, scope, with the same spot weld and see your miss or hit and adjust and simply pull the trigger again waaaaaaay makes up for any accuracy you give up, because I don't care how accurate your gun is you're gonna MISS.

My OBR 308, is a true 1moa gun out to 800,

My DPMS 308 was plenty accurate but not that good,

My JP LRP07 308, is hands down the most accurate 308 gas gun I've shot out to 800, beyond that the same gun with a 260 upper holds better accuracy.

The barrel on my 308 JP is also a .750 barrel so it does all it needs to without the need for a heavier barrel, it will routinely give 1/2moa groups out to 800.

I've owned or played with FAL's, SR-25's, M1A's, and the above mentioned guns, the JP holds its accuracy even after getting 30-50 rounds thru it, and getting plenty dirty.

Forgot to add that JP's customer service is second to none, can't say that about everyone else. A lot of makers are of the take it or leave it mentality. IOW, we made it perfect why would you want to change something!!!!!

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

• 1 month later...

Is anyone running .243 Win in their AR-10 platforms? I'm thinking about buying a barrel because that is the only part I don't have. That way I can use my DPMS lower (with JP trigger and Magpul PRS stock) and the same BCG. Is there a feeding prob or something I am missing? I know several guys run .243 in precision bolt guns.

Also, what barrel is everyone's favorite? I've heard many good things about Lilja. My .308 upper started as the very heavy DPMS bull barrel, but has been turned down and JP adjustable gas block added along with a JP handguard.

Edited by Nichvegas

Used to have GAP AR 10. Shot a OBR 7.62 with a 18" barrel at 1100 yards and came home and sold the gap and ordered a OBR.

I have a HMDR on it with a sure fire brake and suppressor and shoot 6" plates at 1000 yards with it. No question in my mine that the OBR is the way to go, question is availability.

I have the 18" heavy barrel DPMS that I topped with a Zeiss 50mm and installed a JP trigger in and could not be happier with the results.

The photo shows two separate 3 shot groups with my hand loads from a sand bag rest. You can spend as much as you like on any rifle, but it boils down to the shooter most of the time.post-10828-0-63096000-1374506975_thumb.j

That is a tough question. I have a Laure and POF in .308 as well as two .260s built on Fulton Armory uppers with POF lowers(I have shims in the upper receiver push pin holes). I shot a buddy of mines JP and now I want one of those as well but if I bring another rifle in the house anytime soon I think I'm going to have issues with Household06 actual.

JP makes some NICE stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 243 AR, and my buddy also shoots one. Hard on brass, short barrel life, brilliant performance. From my 24" I am pushing 105 bergers to just under 3000 fps. Not a lot of splash when you miss at long range, but the idea is to not miss. Hard to beat for a match gas rifle to engage steel at unknown distances under field conditions. My barrel is Lilja on a LRP 07.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's really hard to beat any manufacturer listed , especially Larue. The OBR is typically sub MOA all day. Personally I have an LMT due to its availability (no year wait like Larue and other custom gas guns), durability, reliability and accuracy. The British selected it as their DMR rifles, our spec ops have used it on a limited basis some too, and although heavy it will run with the custom guns for most shooters. As with all military firearms, it has survived numerous hard use and torture tests meaning it will nearly always be running without issue.

After a five round sight in, I was able to shoot consistent 3 shot groups at or under .5" with 168 gr Federal GMM (Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x with G2 reticle). No it's not five shots and yes it was only 100 yards, but I believe it demonstrates the accuracy potential and puts LMT up there for the money with Larue, JP, etc. This was done off a bipod as I don't have a bench rest at the moment. Can other guns shoot more accurately? Maybe, but can I? Probably not. When you can cover the rounds with a dime, I can't ask for much more. Iive always shot 3 shot groups and personally wouldn't consider 5 necessary when evaluating a gas blaster. Your real challenge with gas gun accuracy is going to be the loss of velocity from a short barrel for extended range shots anyway. A gun that is sub .5 moa accurate is going to do its part to 800 yds (1,200 if you are Todd Hodnett and the boys at Accuracy 1st).

Additionally, some have mentioned the 6.5 mm ballistics being superior to the .308, and I agree. But with the purchase of extra barrels and two turns of a torque wrench I can be sending 6.5 Creedmore or .260 Remington rounds down range from the exact same MWS platform. With ammo availability fluctuations and different hunting scenarios, the LMT is the best option to shoot different calibers depending on differing situations with the same gun. There may be more accurate custom guns out there, but for the overall package I don't see how you could do better than an LMT MWS, unless weight is more important than repeatable accuracy.

It wasn't too long ago that the AR10 and it's variations were sort of red headed step children. Now there are several manufacturers which are good enough to garner fierce loyalty from their end users. I run the LRP-07, my buddies have LMT, Larue's and DPMS. All have been sub MOA with most ammo and reliability is much improved over yesteryear. Longevity is also excellent. My rifle has 3100 rds down the pipe and you can hardly see any evidence of wear on the internal parts. Kinda cool to see the platforms come into their own.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have shot a lot of gas guns in 308 and 260, yes a bolt gun is more accurate by maybe 10%. but the ability to stay behind the gun, scope, with the same spot weld and see your miss or hit and adjust and simply pull the trigger again waaaaaaay makes up for any accuracy you give up, because I don't care how accurate your gun is you're gonna MISS.

The ability to keep the gun on target and see your hits can be as much about the shooter as it is about the gun. Bolt or semi-auto, you are going to have some muzzle flip. There are ways of controlling that apply equally well to both platforms.

Dollar for dollar, a bolt gun will likely out shoot a semi-auto. IOW, if you take $3500 and buy a bolt gun and $3500 and buy a semi-auto, the bolt gun will likely be "better". BUT better is a relative term.

It all comes do to suitability to purpose. A semi-auto does have an advantage in follow up shots because you don't have to change your grip to chamber a round. You can probably fire more shots with a semi-auto without having to change mags. A semi-auto may be lighter and more maneuverable than a bolt gun. It all depends on what you are using it for!

Edited by Graham Smith