Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max 3 Gun Edition

JRicks

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran it hard tonight. 150 rounds . Winchester Universal and Fed bulk. Ran as good as I could ask not a hiccup. Couldn't ask for more. Did experience the QD sling mount on the fore arm will bite the end of your index finger if you point with your left finger. Lol

I polished both sides and reduced the length on the shell catch lip. And it loads great now!

Do you have a picture of this work? Mine is inbound and I would like to get it ready for a match this weekend.

Thanks!

There is a picture of what I did on the foreend earlier in the thread. I can get pictures of the carrier latch and carrier this evening.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks! That forend looks great.

-J

post-49817-140054417347_thumb.jpg

This is the carrier latch I wrapped a shell in 400 grit wet or dry and sanded where the crease is stamped. I then went to 600 then polished with flitz and felt buffing wheel on the dremel.

post-49817-140054430351_thumb.jpg

A diferent angle. Take this slow take some material off put it back together and try loading it can be a fine line between loading smooth and having to get a new latch.

post-49817-140054445942_thumb.jpg

On the carrier/lifter I took a small flat file to bot endges of the carrier that make contact with the bolt this doesn't require much filing. I then sanded and polished the carrier on the backside.

post-49817-140054459547_thumb.jpg

I also filed and sanded the front of the carrier because there was a jagged edge from the part being stamped.

Both are quality shotguns. The VersaMax is more versatile (if that matters to you) and the 1301 has autofeed (if that matters to you).

The VM does run everything made from the low recoil to 2 1/4 ounce 3.5" shells, it is easier to load and it is softer shooting...that is why I shoot the VM.

Mark, I think auto feed is on the browning a5. I really liked the versa 3g edition I played with but I ended up with the beretta. The beretta had some more time out in the wild and my perception of the state of Remington's qc spooked me out. I do bet the vmax port is easier to load at 3-1/2". It was a bit of shock to go from a nova port to the beretta

I have shot both a fair amount. And there are pros and cons to each.

Loading: advantage VM,a slight filing to the lifter and latch and your g2g. 1301 takes full loading port work to effectively load dueces or quads.

Slugs: tie, the 1301 shoots slugs spectacularly well. And so does the VM with the help of the XS rear sights (I had to put the lowest on in my gun)

Accessories advatage VM it comes with all the bells and whistles. 4 extended chokes raised comb extra fibers for your front sight shim kit LOP spacers picatinny rail one piece 8 round tube with +2 extension XS rear sights 2 qd sling studs (beware of the one of the forend it can bite your finger if you butt it up behind it). 1301 only has LOP spacers and shim kits and only 1 qd sling stud.

Recoil slight advantage VM. The 1301 cycles faster but the VM is slightly less recoil.

Cost advantage 1301, but it will require an extension and probably some loading port work depending in your method of loading.

Shell selection: tie both have cycled everything I have thrpwn at them from extra light syuff to heavy pheasant slugs and buckshot.

Weight: advantage 1301 and by quite a margin it feels. But during a stage I can't tell.

For me I saw great value in the things that came with the VM. Both are great guns and you wont go wrong either way. My greatest factor was the loading port work needed on the 1301 the wall of the reciever are just so tall it make it yough to get you palm down on the shells for quads. But after some time with the dremel and files it can load very smooth. I hope that helps.

I'm just concerned about reliability Mark... After this JM issue at yours and mike's match, I care more about reliability than just about anything else.

When I google "versa max problems" I see quite a few threads, "beretta 1301 problems" returns almost 0 threads. I look at "a400 problems" it looks like there were a batch of bad pistons and extractors on the 3.5" guns, but I can't find a whole lot of complaints on the A400's otherwise.

Can you shed light on reliability, and how "out of the box" the VM3G is?

Thanks

Iowa.. Thanks a lot. Great info! I can't load quad (hands are way too small) but I dual load. Looking at the loading port on the 1301 it looks really open compared to my 930JM (even after I opened it up quite a bit).

Edited by OscarMike

Its osnt the width or beveling that is the issue it is the depth if you stack a Beretta reciever next to an m2 VM Stoeger or the like you will see it is 1/4" to 1/2" taller. The problem I was having was that if I did not really push down on the lifter I would stub the shells into the top edge of the tube. Now after many a sanding drum on the dremel it loads like butter.

I'm just concerned about reliability Mark... After this JM issue at yours and mike's match, I care more about reliability than just about anything else.

When I google "versa max problems" I see quite a few threads, "beretta 1301 problems" returns almost 0 threads. I look at "a400 problems" it looks like there were a batch of bad pistons and extractors on the 3.5" guns, but I can't find a whole lot of complaints on the A400's otherwise.

Can you shed light on reliability, and how "out of the box" the VM3G is?

Thanks

For what its worth. I used to run the JM. My Team is running 4 of them suuccesfully with zero issues. Hopes this helps. Now that I have said that,,,,,,,

post-49817-140055660617_thumb.jpg

Just followed the angles of the bevels that Beretta had and took it down about 1/4 back towards the trigger and maybe 3/8" by the follower. This is my cousins gun and he did the work but I was alkng side and tried loafing it in factory condition and after mod condition and for me it would not have work out of the box.

Also a plus for my VM since i didn't hack up my reciever I still have a warranty. Its like the Ford F150 SVT Raptor if you did all those mods aftermarket it voids the warranty but since that is factory condition you have a race ready truck with a warranty.

Modifications can't void a warranty unless they are directly related to the problem at hand.

Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

"The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance."