Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the end of the shortage in sight?

I went to Cabelas yesterday to look at a safe and they were just opening a case of Winchester large pistol primers. They would only allow me to buy 1K at $37. Went back again today and they still had plenty left and I got 2k this time. They also had CCI small primers sitting on the shelf of which i didn't need. So are we seeing the light at the end of the tunnel here? What's the general consenus?

There is light, but it's a loooooooooong tunnel. LGS has scary black guns on them for more than a couple days at a time. Pmags are still flying off the shelves along with ammo-especially .22lr. Primers weren't as much of a problem this time, but bullets are still scarce in our kind of quantity.

I don't think we are that close, pretty much everything in my area is still sold out. Every now and then, you might catch something(powder, bullets, ammo) at Sportsmans Warehouse. Primers are still impossible to find but ARs are all over the place now - except the premium ones.

I don't understand why .22 LR is so scarce.

At first I thought this was just a case of buy something because you can't buy anything else and people shooting 22 so they could shoot something but now that I see the prices people are paying on gunbroker I am baffled. There are some REALLY dedicated 22lr shooters out there I guess.

I think the 22lr is scarce because of the price of center fire ammo. 22lr is not as cheap as before but it is still cheaper than 9mm. People need to stop buying. That is the only way the price of ammo will come down. As long as folks are paying the high prices the prices will stay high. Store where I am at (Chesapeake, VA) are selling 1000 rounds of 9mm for $720. People are buying it at this price. It is ridiculous.

Primers are what is worrying me. I can find everything else no issue... but I haven't seen Fed/Win primers ANYWHERE.

Dave, get whatever primers you can! Why didn't you try different brands when they were plentiful?

I'm more worried about my competitors. :) I'm good for a while... as long as this shortage doesn't last a year I should be fine. But it is a tad concerning that I haven't seen ANYONE with Fed or Win primers in many month.

I think the shortages will continue on for some time for one reason:

People will see what they want showing up on the shelves and buy it immediately, buy more than they need and continue to buy it

because they don't want to get caught short again. That will extend the shortages, which will extend the buying, which will extend the

shortages, which will ex.............................but I digress.

Edited by gasbag

I think the shortages will continue on for some time for one reason:

People will see what they want showing up on the shelves and buy it immediately, buy more than they need and continue to buy it

because they don't want to get caught short again. That will extend the shortages, which will extend the buying, which will extend the

shortages, which will ex.............................but I digress.

Funny you say that, I was just telling a guy at work today the same thing...what a vicious cycle

Guns and mags are catching up ,but ammo and reloading supplies are backordered everywhere. I just seen on the news where many local law enforcement agencies are cutting back on training because of lack of ammo. 22lr is ridiculous, $80-$140 for 500 rounds . I refuse to pay that much!

went to a place about 35 mins from the house. almost puked when i saw WW primers on the shelf, small pistol, small rifle, large pistol, etc,. saw 3 boxes of small rifle and said i'd take 'em. they tell me i can only get one a day. i said fine, since the price was $34.90 and no hazmat or sales tax. IAC, she proceeds to pull out a "tray" of 100 and i said WTF? she says she meant 100 per day. needless to say i walked out. if i lived around the block i'd be there daily till i got what i wanted. it's BS.

i see what I think is light and then it goes black again. I received an email from Wideners at 02:30 that ammo I was looking for was back in stock. When I clicked on the link at 06:30 they were out of stock. People are waiting at the door at Walmart with friends to buy the Federal 525 and 550 bulk backs for $25 and selling them for $60 to $80 at gun shows. I got lucky and had just ordered components before the storm. I've just given up on competing at these prices and with the cannibalistic attitude, I'm happy to sit on the sidelines and enjoy random shooting, plinking and hunting.

Normally the manufactures would have stepped up and started producing more, growing to fill the demand. In this environment business are just too worried to hire more , grow more build more. s, gougers and the unknown. Who know what is going to happen over the next 3 years?

Edited by kdiver58

I think there is a dim glow at the end of the tunnel. Lots of stuff you could not get a month or two ago is now available, you do have to hunt for it as it isn't equally distributed.

With a normal government in office right now the manufactures would have stepped up and started producing more, growing to fill the demand. But with this anti-business environment government in office business are just too worried to hire more , grow more build more. They could build a new plant hire a bunch of people and then have the current regime add a new tax by executive order that would force us all to stop or slow down our shooting. Making the investment all for naught.

We are fighting a fight from all sides, anti-business, anti-gun, hoarders, gougers and the unknown. Who know what is going to happen over the next 3 years?

Please take a moment and review the Forum Guidelines, particularly the section on Restricted Content.