Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti mags crimping rounds

jimbullet

Has anyone cone across sti mags crimping the 49cal rounds too much and what might be causing it and any solution to it?

I've just installed the bolen 11coil springs and follower. With ipsc wedge pads , I get 17 in really tight but noticed that it is crimping every round.

Got the same problem. Thought I knew what was causing it but was wrong. The brass case is sinking into the lube ring. So far they all still feed and fire.

post-44117-0-09225600-1366488495_thumb.j

Edited by BASE772

If I put back the original internals, it doesnt do that but of course I want to increase round count, which appears to result to these. I guess, the question is - is this normal or is there anything that needs to be done?

Should I cut the 11 coil spring?

Experienced the same problems when using 40 cal Bayou Bullets with the cannelure. I noticed it was more severe with the last few rounds that I was squeezing into the mag. My guess was that it was caused by the rim of the bullet being loaded - as it passed over the bullet beneath it.

I also wondered if the UPULA loader was causing it as it pressed the round down into the mag tube.

Never seemed to have an impact on reliability, etc.

Normal with no lube in the lube groove.

Could you elaborate please? Do you mean I should put some lube, i.e. break free inside the mags, particularly on the ribs?

He means that there is no bullet lube in the lube groove. Only the bare lead bullets have it and not the coated lead.

I wish more manufactures had non-grooved bullets. IMO the perfect coated lead bullet would be the Precision 185 gr with the Bayou coating. Sorry, off topic.

Edited by BASE772

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my STI untuned 140 mag tube, grams follower and Dawson SNL base. Mine is doing the same thing, I can get 20 in it though. However, I compared the spring length to the Dawson tuned I got with my Eagle and the Dawson is about 1.5 coils shorter. And it was with Bayou Bullets as well.

Think there might be too much spring tension and it's being pressed into the rib on the side of the mag? And I was going to pull my bent ones, looks like at least I can fire them.

I do still need to trim the follower so the slide wont lock. I purchased this as my learn how to set up mags as I didn't want to screw up a tuned one, and I figured it would be good to have a 5th mag for a spare anyways.

Edited by Blue Jacket

I would be VERY, VERY careful about shooting those "crimped" rounds. With that situation you are very probably building some hellacious pressure before that bullet escapes the brass. I would seriously suggest you pull those rounds apart, $hitcan them and find the cause of the problem and fix it.

Pat

The spot that gets dented is not an area where the powder sits. I highly doubt it affects the case volume.

As said above, it sits in the lube ring.

I notice it when I dump my rounds out between stages and brush my mags. I reload/shoot the same cartridges without an issue on the next stage.

Normal with no lube in the lube groove.

Could you elaborate please? Do you mean I should put some lube, i.e. break free inside the mags, particularly on the ribs?

He means that there is no bullet lube in the lube groove. Only the bare lead bullets have it and not the coated lead.

I wish more manufactures had non-grooved bullets. IMO the perfect coated lead bullet would be the Precision 185 gr with the Bayou coating. Sorry, off topic.

I agree, there is NO reason why a moly coated bullet needs a lube ring.

I also agree that a 180 or 185 Bayou bullet with no lube ring would be perfect.