Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lonesome Dove

A wonderful mini-series. I read recently the original story was done in 1971 and the cast was supposed to have featured John Wayne as Call, Jimmy Stewart as Guss and Henry Fonda as Blake? Blane? I forget his name. Won Pulitzer for McMurtry.

The "original" mini-series is spectacular: Great story; Great cast; Great acting.

There are a couple of folow-ons that are good but not great.

One of the best Westerns ever to be made for TV.

Kevin

Absolutely incredible mini-series.

Probably one of the best ever - western or no.

Duval is incredible. Tommy Lee Jones is incredible - and Diane Lane??? Like I need to say it :wub:

JB

I can't think of a Robert Duvall performance that was not first rate, and Lonesome Dove was some of (if not the very) the best ever.

Lonesome Dove is one you can watch many times and still enjoy.

Is the DVD on discount somewhere? I only have VHS!

Fantastic rendition of the book, one of my favorite series and one of the rare visual presentations that comes close to the original. Read the book too, it is all the same great stuff but twice as much. I really like all McMurtry's writing except the prequels and sequels to Lonesome Dove, and even those books have their moments too.

The book is even better. The 2nd mini series "Return to Lonesome Dove" was a screenplay and not a Mcmurtry book. It and the weekly tv series went off in another direction with Newts charactor. The 2nd year of that series "The Outlaw Years" is the grittiest western series ever. Streets of Larado and Dead Mans Walk(Mcmurtry books)were ok.David Arquete did a great job as a young Gus in DMW.I have not heard if Comanche Moon will be made into a mini series.

Duvall showed not only what a fine actor he is, but that man can sit a horse!

Some favorite scenes flash to mind --

Lori Darlin' in the river

Whackin' a surley bartender

The former NASA astronaut playing Roscoe Brown

One of my favorie movies of all time.

Duvall can sit a horse, but Tommy Lee Jones rides like he was born there. And Diane Lane in the "Wet Union Suit" contest sure was fun.

One thing I did like was that few could shoot well at all. Most were miserable shots, unlike the typical Western Mythos.

I also think Angelica Hustons character was unkind and harsh on Tommy Lee Jones. He was who he was, and Duvall was going to do what he did regardless of who was with him.