Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Side ways mounted Cmore ?

hornetx40

They are just a twinge more difficult to adjust your dot zero, not to mention adding a large "vision barrier" on the left side of the gun. It also makes standard slide rackers more difficult to use, but there are more and more of those being offered every day.

You know, I hear a lot of people talking about the vision barrier on the left side of the gun but to be honest, when the buzzer goes off, I swear I do not see it and it does not bother me - all I see is the dot. Now, if I could just get that dot to stay on the target when I pull the trigger, I'd be getting somewhere :)

You know, I hear a lot of people talking about the vision barrier on the left side of the gun but to be honest, when the buzzer goes off, I swear I do not see it and it does not bother me - all I see is the dot. Now, if I could just get that dot to stay on the target when I pull the trigger, I'd be getting somewhere :)

Oh so true :goof:

Windage/elevation is a pain, like what Keen said. I keep a note in my smart phone for sighting purpose.i.e., Move dot left = Cmore elevation > DOWN.

As for the racker, didn't need one coz the placement of the mount and scope opened the back serrations of the slide. The scope itself can be a kickstand for you 'northpaws' on table starts. not so much for us 'southpaws', but I use a different technique. ;)

After you engage a target you should be looking for and then at the next target.

That vision barrier on the left side of your pistol can inhibit that process.

True: IF you're only using one eye. Humans have bifocal vision so in most cases, the left eye will compensate for the field of view that's obstructed from the right eye and vice versa.

Personally, I was skeptical about sideway mounts at first because : 1. They look funky, 2. They might obstruct my FOV. I tried it and shot in major/local matches but i really didn't notice it. And I'm a southpaw at that.

But, yes, YMMV.

I have only shot my gun with a 90deg mount in 4 matches so far but I have yet to even notice the body of the sight during a course of fire. I guess there could be a target array that is set up just right for the A zone to be obscured but I have not seen one yet.

Mike

After you engage a target you should be looking for and then at the next target.

That vision barrier on the left side of your pistol can inhibit that process.

True: IF you're only using one eye. Humans have bifocal vision so in most cases, the left eye will compensate for the field of view that's obstructed from the right eye and vice versa.

Personally, I was skeptical about sideway mounts at first because : 1. They look funky, 2. They might obstruct my FOV. I tried it and shot in major/local matches but i really didn't notice it. And I'm a southpaw at that.

But, yes, YMMV.

I think this is the answer to why they aren't in the way, I never thought about it that way but it makes a tone of sense.

Mike

Shooting with both eyes open does not permit a shooter to see through opaque objects such as a sideways mounted C-More.

One eye open or both eyes open, the fact is that the vision barrier on the left side of a sidewise mount C-More inhibits vision to some degree. That disadvantage may be offset by other factors but the disadvantage still remains.

HornetX40... Are you shooting the Ohio Championship in Open "B" class? If so then don't use on of these. They suck. Can't see anything on the entire left side of the stage. The gun is unbalanced with all that weight un-centered, hanging over the left side..... The gun comes out of the holster crooked... It's impossible to get the dot zeroed... I gave up after 150 round and 3 hours.....

Oh... you're not shooting Ohio...... Disregard the previous statements. :D

They work great. Especially on tight head shots with a No Shoot parked underneath.

YMMV

BC

Shooting with both eyes open does not permit a shooter to see through opaque objects such as a sideways mounted C-More.

I agree with you on that one. And i didn't say I can see through solid/opaque objects. I said the other eye can compensate where the affected eye can't see. It's fairly well documented how human vision works.

One eye open or both eyes open, the fact is that the vision barrier on the left side of a sidewise mount C-More inhibits vision to some degree. That disadvantage may be offset by other factors but the disadvantage still remains.

Yes again. And that's why I said YMMV. :D

I apologize if I sound argumentative but, I guess my point is, to the OP, try it first before reaching to a conclusion. There are enough shooters with sidemores around anyway.

Oh, I forgot. I switched to CMore RTS few months ago. Kinda missed the sidemore but RTS looks less funky. :roflol:

The big aluminum sideways mounts are heavier, almost as heavy as a tube sight. But the sideways C-More gets completely out of the way of your ejecting brass which with 9x19 Major is a good thing.

Comparing friends' sideways mounts with mine, their mount obstructs the view a little more than the Aimpoint but both obstruct 10x more than a vertical C-More. You have to decide if hundreds of hours of dryfire devoted just to finding and keeping the dot in view is worth it to get the last 5% or so of speed advantage with the vertical C-More. After 5 years of shooting one on my Caspian I decided, No.

After just a short time shooting a slide-mounted dot I found that it was adding to the workload of shooting a stage, compared to a frame mounted optic. Depends completely on the shooter if that would happen to you. If you're used to tracking iron sights between shots on a Ltd or Prod gun, you may find your eye is trying to track the slide-mounted optic and maybe you're not keeping a target focus; in Open division that is all bad.

When the first photos of a sideways C-More (a Berry mount) showed up on the forums years ago, a few of us said "that's very cool" while at least 3/4 said "that's stupid". Times change.

The only thing time that I have ever noticed any disadvantage in the sideways mount is when shooting left to right especially on steel, bowling pins, etc. Sometimes I don't see the ones that I left standing until I get a little ways past them. I do shoot with one eye most of the time though. My new gun is configured with an RTS. It should be here in the next few weeks. I'll report back as to my findings.

It didnt take me hundreds of gours of dry fure practice to get used to the sideways mount. There is some awesome video on Youtube of me taking 3rd place at the Shootn-off at the Florida Open last month... and it was the very first weekend I shot the gun at all, let alone with the sideways mount. If you are used to iron sights, it is much easier to pick up the sideways mounted sight. If you are used to a traditionally mounted Cmore, you will have to retrain.

Sounds like a touchy subject...I have shot both frame mounted and slide mounted just not a sideways mount. I think for now I'll stick with the rts frame mount. I deffinitely don't like an optic slide mounted...may as well be shootng open sights at that point.

I always forgot there was a 2 inch correction factor for up close targets OOOPS two noshoots!

After a year of not finding the dot with a vertical- I switched to horizontal mount and never lost the dot again.

Ejection issues cured. Shoot 9 Major

Slight visual barrier (so?)

May be a bit of balance issue, but overcome as you shoot.

Bit of a PITA to get slide off with a slideracker. I think the new ZIG Racker has cured that issue.

Overall- give or take $100 and both mounts can be used on the same gun and you decide what you like.

No brain'r IMO.

They are grotesque structures. Asthetically unappealing. About as pretty as my spelling.

Advantages = none

Disadvantages = ugly lopsided gun. Could cause Funny dot movement. Weekend left eye muscles.

Of course none of this is verified outside my own expertise. Which, of course, is legendary.

Serious, I use an upright, have nothing against sideways. It's like the Coke/Pepsi thing.

You sideways guys are weird.

IMHO

They are grotesque structures. Asthetically unappealing. About as pretty as my spelling.

Advantages = none

Disadvantages = ugly lopsided gun. Could cause Funny dot movement. Weekend left eye muscles.

Of course none of this is verified outside my own expertise. Which, of course, is legendary.

Serious, I use an upright, have nothing against sideways. It's like the Coke/Pepsi thing.

IMHO

I see how you are now :lol:

Advantages = none

IMHO

I understand the sarcasm, but I do have to address the "advantages-none" part. The lower to the bore setup of the sideways dot is a huge advantage if you want to be accurate at both close and far distances. There is a huge difference with the upright mounts.

Also, there is a big advantage when shooting 9mm. Having the dot mounted out of the way eliminates (virtually) all ejection problems.

I'm going to the RTS mount btw to get rid of the blind spot.