Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot Trap for the first time today

Shooter Grrl

So RB decides that I can't have a new AR because I can't shoot 3-gun cause my shotgun skills aren't up to par!

We decide that we both could use some work on the shotgun so we head off to the range to try trap today. He's shot it twice before, both times as a kid.

You ready for this... my Mom had told me on the phone that I would be really lucky if I broke more than 5 my first time out, so I'm expecting total humiliation :(

But nope, not me! It would appear I may actually have the right to be called SHOOTER GRRL :)

I broke more than 5! I broke more than 10! Hell, I EVEN broke more than 15 :) Final count was 16.

2 MORE THAN RB!

It is a good thing I'm a Grrl. The guys were all really nice, even though I was shooting a "funny" gun. One should not show up at a NICE trap range with a Remy 1100 20 ga painted red, white and blue with a 10 round extension welded on it :P

I shot competative trap in High School and College, and really enjoyed it. However, everytime I now shoot trap it just seems so slow compaired to IPSC / USPSA. Any shooting sport is great, and let's face it trigger time is trigger time.

I think I know the feeling--at least in theory: I just yesterday told my range owner to keep an eye out for a 20 gauge for me because I wanted to shoot trap next summer...! The 'new addiction' must be in the air. :rolleyes:

Way to go, Kath!! Seriously!! I may now pester the crap out of you asking questions. :lol:

Good Shooting Kath! That's an amazing 1st score esp. with the equipment you were using. I've never had the opportunity to shoot Trap before. I've shot several rounds of skeet and some sporting clays as well as the shotgun events @ STC (Sportsman Team Challenge). They're all big fun.

Grats on the 16 SG..

I found out that you can really piss off a dedicated trap shooter by shooting a 21 behind his 22 when all you had was an H&R 20 gauge Topper model single shot with an exposed hammer and he was shooting his big flashy single barrel Beretta in 12.. :lol:

Vince

The expert shotgunner in my family (mom!) told me not to start with clays. She said once I could consistently shoot half in both trap and skeet, THEN go try clays.

The other thing is, there's not a whole lot of clays courses in rural tennessee!!!!!