Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Assault Weapons Ban

GIO

I really like the threat of another AWB. It gave me a great reason to buy 2 new JPs and a few other toys I have been dreaming about. The threat also helped our industry members and supporters break new sales records and flood basements with tons of ammo. NRA membership is up and people who may have never purchased a gun joined the ranks. I like all of this.

The threat of legislation cleaned out every gunstore in southeast Michigan. Literally. Stores that had 200-300 handguns in stock are now down to 10-15. Rifles? Shotguns? Even the high proced stuff like LWRC is gone. Ammunition? Forget about it. One store will only sell 40 rifle rounds at a time and requires that they be shot on their range and you cannot pickup the brass! No ammunition sales "to go". And they have a pallet of 5.56 sitting on the floor. Minimum range rental time is 30 minutes. With only 40 rounds, almost everyone is done in about 10.

BC

Edited by BillChunn

The one big problem it has caused for retailers and manufacturers is the lack of supply of product. Sure, guns and accessories sold very quickly, but if they are impossible to replace, it really doesn't help much. Then you have the guys who hoard things like ammunition and mark them up to absurd prices. These are the kind of things that cause a permanent price increase industry wide. Wholesale price from distributors has already gone up a few points on factory ammunition and guns are soon to follow. On the short term, things like an AWB scare may seem to be a good thing, but in the long term, anything that sends the industry into a frenzy like this is bad. Remember when you could buy a Colt AR-15 for $800 in 2007, and then they never came down under $1,000 after the 2008 frenzy? Guess what, the cost to manufacture those things hasn't gone up THAT much.

Then you have the guys who hoard things like ammunition and mark them up to absurd prices. These are the kind of things that cause a permanent price increase industry wide.

Amen.

I wonder if they'll use the same excuses the oil companies do....

1) Cost increase because we are changing over from "summer ammo" to winter ammo.

2) Factories keep going down for maintenance.......

3) Seasonal increase due to vacation shooting...... :angry2:

Edited by bountyhunter

• 1 month later...

Hoping the shortages chill out for a bit... We will see what happens. There are still a ton of people who are uneducated. Gotta stay out there and inform people about our sport and explain it.. I had the chance to tell the fella at walmart last night who looked at me funny for wanting three boxes of 00buck shot.. Once i had told him about 3-gun competition he got a little more interested. And changed a few of his opinions on the matter.

Hoping the shortages chill out for a bit... We will see what happens. There are still a ton of people who are uneducated. Gotta stay out there and inform people about our sport and explain it.. I had the chance to tell the fella at walmart last night who looked at me funny for wanting three boxes of 00buck shot.. Once i had told him about 3-gun competition he got a little more interested. And changed a few of his opinions on the matter.

Speaking of the walmart 00 buck. Did yours come in a military plain brown box? Was it black base with green hull? Looked like Army ammo to me. I got three boxes myself and that's what I got.