Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best XDm extended mag release

Zmego

I am just finishing up my XDm 9mm build for my 3 gun blaster. I would like to put an extended mag release on as my final addition. Any suggestions as to which one to go with? I was thinking the Canyon Creek extended and widened release, I know it is not USPSA production legal but I plan on only using this gun for 3 gun. Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

On a side note, are the mag releases difficult to install?

I'm only using the extended mag release from PRP. Can't use the over-sized in IDPA. The installation isn't difficult, but you have to be careful. Push the pin too far out and you are going to chase it across the room and then rip your hair out trying to get it back in. There is a video on YouTube from Springer Precision on replacing the mag release. I recommend watching that.

• 2 weeks later...

I've purchased 2 releases from Canyon Creek. The first one was the oversized release. This one works well with some minor polishing. I have this on my Limited gun and I am happy with it.

The second release I bought from CC was the extended release for a Production gun setup. I was less than impressed with the quality and finish on this. I'm not sure how this was produced, but it was very poorly machined. The "creases" at the point where the horizontal surface meets the angled surface were very rough and created the requirement for substantial force to release the mag. I emailed CC informing them of my issues and was told that I would have to remove the mag catch from the pistol and polish it. I removed the mag catch and polished it and there was no improvement. The issue was with the release. For $40 I expected a lot more that that. Maybe I just got a bad one and to be fair, CC said that they would look at it if I sent it back. I couldn't be bothered with sending it back in at the time and just ordered PRP's version.

I bought the PRP extended release and was very happy with it. It was a night and day difference compared to the CC extended release.

Edited by d_striker

Recently purchased the Springer Precision extended mag release for my 5.25. The fit and finish were excellent. The extended is Production legal and I have had no problems ejecting mags and (knock on wood) haven't had any unitentional mag drops. As someone posted earlier, Springer Precision has a good video on youtube that walks you through the installation.

I might just have sausage finger but I have to do a radical grip adjustment to press the factory magazine release. Will I be able to roll my thunb to one of the extended releases? I would love to not have to do the one handed pistol juggle during reloads.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to switch the topic but I have 2 XDM with stock mag releases and neither will let me drop a full mag without pushing up on the mag. If there are 14 rounds or less in the mag it drops free no problem. Anyone else notice this? Do the extended releases or polishing fix the issue?

Not to switch the topic but I have 2 XDM with stock mag releases and neither will let me drop a full mag without pushing up on the mag. If there are 14 rounds or less in the mag it drops free no problem. Anyone else notice this? Do the extended releases or polishing fix the issue?

Extended releases help reach the mag release easier and without having to adjust your grip to enable more leverage while pressing the release.

Taking out the mag catch and polishing the "nub" that engages the magazine makes it smoother. Reinstalling the mag catch can be a pain the first time you do it. Once you know how to do it, it's fairly simple.

xdm's will always be a little stubborn when you ask them to drop a full mag.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2 springers for me on the xdm and on the project "open gun" xd. I just bought a new tactical and was playing with it. I had a hard time finding the mag release since I'm so used to the extended one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Springer precision. Plus I added the PRP mag release spring witch was much better than the overly stiff factory spring. Highly recommended. It is worth the trouble. And while you have it appart polish the mag catch where it rides on the mag release.

• 1 year later...