Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammoload - what is it?

Foxbat

Stumbled over a bunch of brass marked Ammoload, with a funny feature - inside it looks like a cup is inserted, or the wall change its thickness in a sharp step.

Anyone seen this brand? Do you treat it as any other brass, or its internal volume is substantially different?

I have not yet cut one to see if it is an insert, or wall thickness change.

I have picked a few out of my brass. It definetly looks odd. I would think it is ok to reload but there looks to be quite a difference in case volume compared to regular brass, so major would be out. Work up a load accordingly.

I purchased some new ammo from "Freedom Munitions". They told me it would be Speer brass. The 9mm is this ammoload stuff, and the 45 is blazer brass. It seems to shoot fine, but I also have some reservations about the brass itself. I will probably save the brass and trade it, sell it, or scrap it and buy some more Starline when/if things settle down.

• 4 weeks later...

could it be an attempt to prevent case bulging in 9mm glocks? I don't have first hand experience with that but I have read

Glock barrels tend to allow brass in some calibers to bloat a lot toward the head.

Course maybe that is just a internet rumor.

I like the looks of it. As Steve RA said, looks stronger to me. I'm curious if it's some kind of mistake or if it's designed that way? I'd love to get 50 of these and work up loads, see what if any differences exist, compare to normal style with my chrono.

Less case volume yes, but will the extra strength compensate and give higher fps with less powder maybe?

• 3 months later...

Don't use that crap for reloading at all. I had a case completely seperate at that line you see inside of the case. No gun damage but left the front portion of brass in the barrel and extractor took the back half with it during cycle. Mine was major using Autocomp 7.2grain at 1.185"OAL. Friend had problem with it in a minor load same issue. The brass is weak at that seam. It literally looks like I cut the brass, no jagged edge and smooth as can be. That step up varies in each case per my micrometer.

Robert

Edited by jrp52179

As Robert said, throw that crap away. I’ve have found Two problems with this brass.

First, on some of the brass the head face/primer pockets are concave. This results in the primer itself being partially unsupported and also results in light strikes. Second, the ridge or shelf inside the brass has no consistency and varies in height by over .150 (based on a sample of just 23 cases). Loading this brass at or even near Major pf will likely result in separated cases, blown primers or at best just a light strike. The best advise about reloading this brass “Just Don’t Do It” save it up along with the other discards and sell it for scrap.

Randy

• 1 year later...

I have a bunch, came with ammo I purchased through freedom. Occasionally when I pick up my brass some of the amoland brass has lost the primer already...Winchester primers. Haven't noticed this with other brass. Seems like something that could really F up a stage time.