Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Raw Fish

EricW

Raw fish is the most disgusting thing on this earth. It smells bad. It tastes worse. I can also do without the parasites, thank you very kindly.

I'm sure glad there's a lot of sushi lovers so that I don't have to smell that crap rotting away in the dumpster.

Icky! Icky! Icky!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly FRESH fish (raw) has little or no odor at all... best I can tell. It's just gotta be FRESH. Fish flesh just happens to deteriorate quickly unlike, well, beef, for example. You wanna smell something bad...? Try rotting chicken...!! Now there's some "icky-icky" for you!! :wacko:

Fish flesh just happens to deteriorate quickly unlike, well, beef, for example.

Beef DOES deteriorate - and isn't that what aging beef is all about - having the meat's fibers "break down" to improve texture and taste?

Fish doesn't hold up well, you're right on there. My wife, a first generation southern Chinese from the mainland who appreciates good seafood, showed me just how much it matters by cooking fresh killed fish bought live in the market, compared to the frozen or "fresh" stuff you get in American markets. You pay a lot more, but the taste difference is hugh.

Eric,

de gustibus non disputandum est...

...but you're missing something really tasty: could you imagine something better than "carpaccio" of salmon and swordfish, or "tartare" of swordfish? Perhaps oysters and lobster?

Not all rawfish is, or has to be, sushi and sashimi... ;)

I tried to find the link on the Prairie Home Companion site but it's gone. However, here are the lyrics to a song just for you Eric...

I am from Minnesota.

I went to Toyko to

see the land of rising sun

and quaint pagoda.

But I nearly died

the night they tried

to make me eat that yucky sushi.

It took some wine before I finally agreed

to eat the dish made of fish and sea weed.

What happened next I don't know.

I loosened my kimono.

I made a sound like the voice of Yoko Ono.

It all went splat

right on the mat

No likey icky yucky sushi!

As I said in the other topic, raw fish is wrong. Raw meat of any kind is wrong. Eating seaweed on purpose is wrong. It's all just so incredibly wrong that wrong isn't a strong enough word for how wrong it really is.

Ix-nay on the ashimi-say!

Fresh does make a huge difference with seafood though. I don't like most of it, but I am a shrimp lover. The fresher it is WHEN YOU FREAKIN' COOK IT, the better it tastes AFTER IT'S FREAKIN' COOKED.

I am a shrimp lover. The fresher it is ...

Ama Ebi or Sweet Shrimp is very nice. They deep fry the head and give the you the body over rice nigiri style. Yes the body is raw. It has a better texture than the cooked because it's more tender. The more you cook shrimp the more like rubber it becomes ... and the antenna on the deep fried heads are crunchy like cheetos. :D

p.s. How do you eat seaweed by accident?

Accidental seaweed ... the first time was in a biology class. The prof brought some seaweed for us to try, and I accidentally beleived him that it was okay to eat and accidentally put it in my mouth and accidentally chewed before I purposely spit it out! It was like eating cellophane with a bad taste.

ix-nay on the eaweed-say!

I don't want my shrimpies with heads or legs when I see 'em, either. ;)

When I lived in Tampa, my shooting buddies and I used to go to a $9.95 all-you-can-eat sushi place for lunch. We all eventually got sick, but, darn, it was cheap!

I once asked the sushi chef what was in a certain roll, and he cracked up laughing. I noticed there were no cats in the neighborhood, either.

Proving that with enough wasabi, you could probably choke down a concrete block.

mb

A few months ago, I came down with a stomach virus right before a trip. It's not fun when you can't hold anything down and have to be in a car for 10 hours. One night we decided to hit an all you can eat sushi place. At this point, I still wasn't able to hold anything down. The place was closing early, so they put out everything. All I had on my plates were salmon sashimi and sake (salmon on rice). Nothing on my plate was cooked besides rice. I think I ate an entire fish worth of salmon. Guess what, that was the first meal that I actually digested and boy was it good.

I'm all with the sushi haters. Some people are just REALLY sensitive to whatever the chemical is that makes rotting fish smell like rotting fish. I'm one of them. Most sushi smells slightly off to me even though it is very fresh.

the other thing that kills me is that something in sushi tends to set off my migraines. no idea what though.

I tried to find the link on the Prairie Home Companion site but it's gone. However, here are the lyrics to a song just for you Eric...

I am from Minnesota.

I went to Toyko to

see the land of rising sun

and quaint pagoda.

But I nearly died

the night they tried

to make me eat that yucky sushi.

It took some wine before I finally agreed

to eat the dish made of fish and sea weed.

What happened next I don't know.

I loosened my kimono.

I made a sound like the voice of Yoko Ono.

It all went splat

right on the mat

No likey icky yucky sushi!

Carina,

You should know that your post made my day. :lol: