Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Nation Classifiers

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know how the classification system will work? For prizes within the division like USPSA?

BigBets

I highly doubt that will ever happen in outlaw 3 gun. Maybe someday when 3GN has their own set of major matches.

I could see that happening at the Tarheel 3 Gun club matches. It's the closest thing to a true 3GN affiliate now. Big club matches twice a month and a major.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

All of this is well and good but how often does reloading a rifle and pistol really come into play? For most of us in tac optics, limited and open, reloading the rifle means your Surefire mag jammed again... Reloading the pistol quickly means you planned poorly or forgot to reload. Heavy divisions are different with limited mag capacities.

Times 12 seems to be the most applicable to all divisions except open because loading the shotgun is an important skill. With some of the others, the reloading the pistol and rifle look like a waste. If you want to class somebody on reloading a rifle/pistol, there are plenty of USPSA classifiers that can be adapted easily. In our current political environment, God forbid we get something like a mag ban where we will be limited in mag capacity, but for now it isn't needed.

I personally think the classification system is a waste of time for 3 gun. Shoot the matches and see how you stack up overall. You want to get higher in the standings, go practice.

I like USPSA classifiers cause they give me an idea where I'm at nationally without going to big matches. There are plenty of people that will never go to a major but still want to see how they might stack up.

I know it's not the same as a match but it's repeatable and you can track progress. Same with drills I suppose.

The only negative I see, is one bay at local matches being used for a classifier, instead of a kick-ass stage. You kinda have to keep classifiers simple, so they are easily repeatable, but they can be pretty boring. This was a topic of discussion at a local USPSA match I shot yesterday. Has pros and cons I guess.

Edited by Lead-Head

A classifier shows nothing about a 3-gun shooter's ability to choose correctly on choicy stages in relation to their abilitys. Nor do they show a shooters endurance and ability to hit long range rifle targets after using 1 or 2 other firearms. Nor do they show a shooters ability to decide when to take a miss and go on. Nor do they show a shooters basic skills of moving quickly and efficiently thru stages. They will not show the true ranking of 3 gunners by actual abilities, rather, they will show only who can do stand-and-shoots the quickest.

jj

The classifiers aren't for most of us. For all us guys that shoot a major or two a year, we know where we stand in relation to the best.

But, for the shooter that will never go farther than 2 hours from the house to shoot locals, it gives them something to strive for, even if it's not completely accurate.

I personally have never had any interest in USPSA classifiers (probably why I am still a C in Single Stack of all things), and not real interested in being classified in 3 gun. After shooting against Daniel, Taran, Keith, Kalani, Greg, etc. all year, I know right where I stand.

I agree with JJ. Classifiers in 3-gun are a complete waste of time and energy. I have not been able to find the rationale for developing them, and can not imagine why anyone thinks stand and shoot stages have any positive correlation to what 3-gun really is.

While the currrent emphasis on "fast" stages certainly lets you run more shooters through a match in a given time period and therefore increase the net income from a match, these types of stages are not typical of 3-gun shooting in general. While I understand 3GN's need for TV friendly action, I hope the majority of 3-gun matches stay true to the sport.

My best wishes go out to Pete, Chad and 3GN, and I will do whatever I can to help with their venture; I want it to be a huge success for many years. But, the development of these classifier stages seems like a fix for a problem that does not exist, and will probably only appeal to a small section of those who shoot 3-gun. Who really cares if they are the best in XYZ segment of the match? If you don't compare yourself to the best, you are only chasing mediocrity.

Andy

I'll offer up that current 3 Gunners (especially those with some time in the game) don't have any real need for classifications.

However, wander over to the pistol-only side of practical pistol shooting and getting classified is very popular! Guys display their cards here on Enos. Guys ask when, and whine a little about not getting classed on time, or as soon as they had expected. This would indicate that the act of getting classified is popular as least among the pistol only group.

If growing the ranks of 3 Gunners is an objective, a couple of things to help are in the mix. The 3GN guys are working toward a club series where any club can join in on the fun. The process of getting classified is a goal oriented and appeals to many (especially new) shooters. Clubs can run any kind of match they want outside of the 3GN classifiers, so long as the classifiers are set up according to spec. Some ranges are not supportive mini "outlaw" events (not sanctioned like a USPSA event) 3GN has a "banner" (think USPSA) and set of rules and standard set of targets that fit into most any pistol bay.

Incentives beyond getting classed are offered as well. Prizes from triggers to guns will be out there as part of participation. I look at this as a win , win. If this gets local clubs to start a 3GN program that blossoms, we all get more shooters and more matches. More match directors and more RO's.

I have been at the 3Gun game a long time and I know what I think it is, but is it really just what I think it is? Is NASCAR the only from of motor racing or is if F1? Screw that 4wheel crap! Superbikes rule! BS it is motocross!

The 3GN club series and the Pro Series are just another action shooting game employing 3 Guns.

This is something that has not happened before and I say let it roll and see where it goes.

Of course I am biased as I like to shoot almost every shooting game. Perhaps I am not biased, but open to enjoy all the gun games? Yea that's it, I just like to shoot.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

The classifiers aren't for most of us. For all us guys that shoot a major or two a year, we know where we stand in relation to the best.

But, for the shooter that will never go farther than 2 hours from the house to shoot locals, it gives them something to strive for, even if it's not completely accurate.

I personally have never had any interest in USPSA classifiers (probably why I am still a C in Single Stack of all things), and not real interested in being classified in 3 gun. After shooting against Daniel, Taran, Keith, Kalani, Greg, etc. all year, I know right where I stand.

Totally agree. . . but I can see where a guy new to the sport may have an interest in a 3-Gun Classification, especially if he's crossing over from USPSA or IDPA.

Its a human nature thing, And I think it will be very sucsessful. But Its not for me. And like USPSA the most valuable people to the sport are not at the top level.

A classifier has never produced a champion, but they do serve to provide a "Basic Skill level" for the games. And a list of "must have" skill sets for mid level shooters, when compared to what a Top shooter can do.

So long as the great matches don't get more pressure to -Dumb Down- the event I see it like Mr Kelly = its a win - win

Jamie

I personally don't like the idea of 3-gun classifiers.

I certainly don't want to shoot a classifier at a major match! If I'm paying "the big bucks" of a major match I want unique and fun stages not cookie cutter, run of the mill stages.

At one of the BRM3G's there was a stage that the squad lined up and shot at different distances to the targets on a general command and at the same time. During this stage I thought to myself that it was weird to be shooting a standards or "classifier" of sorts at a 3 gun match. I didn't care for it but it didnt ruin my day or anything.

My USPSA classification card, in most cases, puts me in the middle somewhere. When I finish a major 3gun match.....I finish somewhere in the middle....who knew.

Its not much value to me.