Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best aftermarket mag for STI Spartan 9mm 1911

midvalleyshooter

OK, I'm going to order mags for my STI Spartan 9mm 1911. For those of you who have a Spartan please share your magazine experience with me. What type of mags do you use, how do they work, how long have you had them and approximately how many rounds through them. Any pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks in advance,

keith

I have Wilson ETM's in my 9mm trojan and like them except for one of the mags needs to be adjusted. The tube is a little larger than my others and will not always drop free. Also the mag release tends to chew up the front, I am not sure if this is a mag issue or a Trojan issue. Easy fix with a jewelers file to debur though.

One of the questions I asked STI (Tx) was who made their 9mm mags and the answer was a collaboration between STI and Metalform. Metalform makes them.

I have 4 mags and they run flawlessly. I put low profile basepads on them.

I've tried the Wilson ETM and Tripp Cobra mags in my 9mm Spartan V. The Wilsons have a plastic follower and are harder to seat a full mag with a round in the chamber. The Cobra mags have a metal follower and have performed flawlessly.

I'm using the Dawson mags, absolutely fantastic quality, I love them. I have ~2,500 rds through 4 magazines, and a season of USPSA in dirt/grass/gravel. They have never failed me. They are Metalform tubes with Dawson's spring, follower, and basepad.

Edited by polizei1

You know after the first 2500 rds my Wilson ETM's still have not failed me. but like I said before, I think the plastic will haunt me in the future.

I know there are a LOT of people using Wilson mags without issue. I received two ETM's with my used Spartan and I got rid of them not because they didn't work (they did), but ONLY because of the plastic basepad and follower. I prefer metal, and the Dawson mags are fantastic.

I run Wilson ETMs and Tripp Cobras in my 9mm Rock Island 1911. Both work but I prefer the Tripp mags.... they seem to be a bit more consistent and they feel like they are a more solid design.

I'm with S391. I run both Tripp and Wilson ETM's in my Trojan. Both work but I prefer the Tripp mags. For me, the Tripp witness holes are the advantage. In IDPA when you need to down load your mags, those well marked witness holes can save the day.

Yea I think I may sell off my 6 ETM's and go with Tripp's once I get to a high point financially, which means I need to stop buying guns and optics and reloading equipment and gas and all the other crap I think I need!