Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand shooting

dmshozer1

What was the wind like? I do not have a problem with the temperature it is the wind chill. Taking my coat off and shooting a stage for 20 or even 30 seconds is not a problem as long as I do not have to deal with a biting wind. Whether I shoot strong hand, weak hand, or free style it is how my core body feels.

Sewing is a fun sport that is indoors, and no one makes anyone do anything they don't want to. ;)

I think weak hand stages are good. I think it's a little mean to shoot plate-racks in awkward positions or tiny poppers from far away tho. It's a bit more beginner-friendly (and still good for experienced shooters) to have paper targets.

You should never do anything you aren't comfortable with when it involves a loaded firearm. Taking penalties on the stage is better than having a problem and getting DQ'd or having an even more serious problem.

Good advice.

There is a quote that goes something like ........

"Be true to thine self....."

Knowing yourself and capabilities should be your main concern. Secondly, not projecting your traits on anyone else. If we understood those two things, the world would be better. IMHO.

For what it's worth, I hate the cold. I can't believe I enjoyed the snow so much as a kid.

• 3 weeks later...

I will never forget the first cold weather stage I shot, is sucked. Someone told me to use handwarmers. While I might be wanting to crawl in a hole and die it is so cold out, my hands are warm. Now as I stage I keep my gloves on with the warmers in them, even after I stripped my coat and everything else off. I don't take the gloves off until right before the "make ready" and since then my fingers have been fine with no gun handling problems. O'yeah, I am the most cold blooded person you will ever meet. I hate cold weather! :angry2:

Now I'm having flashbacks to when I first qualified with my service revolver in the Midwest. It was with a smaller agency and it was just me and a firearms instructor running me through the standard state police pistol qualification course...in a blizzard at our outdoor range. The first 18 shots were at 25 yards and six of them had to be weak hand. The good news is that I have the muscle memory now for weak hand shooting even if I haven't done it in ages.