Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look back to the beginning of this thread you will see that I am using a LMS MiniMill with a 5"x18" table. There hasn't been anything that I am unable to do, including using a 2" face mill, for 1911/2011 work.

Is 9x20 mandatory? No. Is it nice to have more real-estate? Yes.

If you have the room and the funds to go bigger then I say go bigger but it is not required to produce exceptional work as this thread has proved.

Good luck!

Edited by StraightUp_OG

I don't remember if it has been mentioned, but you guys might want to give fusion 360 a look ASAP. if you buy it before the 8th it is $300 a year (forever as long as you keep your subscription) for CAD, and 3+2 axis CAM. I haven't looked at the CAD but it imports solidworks just fine and uses the HSMworks kernel for the CAM so it looks pretty good. if you buy it after the 8th it jumps to $1200 a year

I attended a Solidworks 2015 rollout yesterday. One of the sales guys told me they are coming out with a fianancing plan. He will send me specifics shortly. I suspect it will be similar to Solid edge's plan. I need to determine how far I want to go with this out of control hobby !:)

Just goto www.solidworks.com click on how to buy at the top of the screen. Then in the right column under academia click on military veterans program. It is the student addition that is completely unlocked. You need to email in some forms and once approved you will be givin a link to pay for the shipping which is the 20 dollars. The only catch is you have to do it every year. Still it's a great deal to stay up to date.

Edited by Hotrod55598

Just goto www.solidworks.com click on how to buy at the top of the screen. Then in the right column under academia click on military veterans program. It is the student addition that is completely unlocked. You need to email in some forms and once approved you will be givin a link to pay for the shipping which is the 20 dollars. The only catch is you have to do it every year. Still it's a great deal to stay up to date.

That is an incredible deal!

Also for tri-topping a .750 4 flute carbide 90 degree chamfer tool works well, just indicate the slide level and work off the centerline to get the depths even, quick and easy setup, no tilting of the head or tables needed. Cutter is top right in the picture.

So the biggest i can run in my mill is 1/2" not the 3/4" so would this do the same?

So the biggest i can run in my mill is 1/2" not the 3/4" so would this do the same?

You can use carbide wood router bits with 1/2" shank. They are made for wood but cut alum. very well and even steel. You can get a 90 degree x 1-1/2 diameter that should work very nicely for tri-topping. I have milled the rib off a slide with a radius one. At the end it was still sharp and ready to do more. I use these a lot on the CNC mills for cutting aluminum. They are free cutting, leave a great finish (best with coolant) and way cheaper than the same thing made for metal working.

Edited by Toolguy

G0704?

yep

You not running DROs Kevin?

No, i had planned to go cnc from the start so just stuck with the hand wheels.

I'm in the middle of converting the mill now. I've got the z axis running from the pc, Need to tighten up a few things here and there while I've got it apart then get the x and y done.

Hoping to be running in a few months at the latest.

This case took me a while, LinuxCnc, mesa boards and kelling drivers. ALL new to me lol. Learning curve was steep!

post-13722-0-99708500-1416082252_thumb.p

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have been inspired by all that is here and have been slowly collecting parts for one build and updating/dressing up some old bullseye guns my father had for our games for my sons. It looks like I will be getting the G0704 and I was thinking of getting it from Midwest Machine Works. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Well, I have been inspired by all that is here and have been slowly collecting parts for one build and updating/dressing up some old bullseye guns my father had for our games for my sons. It looks like I will be getting the G0704 and I was thinking of getting it from Midwest Machine Works. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I don't know anything about Midwest but you might want to search a couple of the cnc forums like cnczone.com. Certainly somebody out there has bought one.

I'm loving my 0704, perfect size for me.

Congrats on the fun times ahead!!!!!

Thanks for the Info on the solidworks.

Going to submit th forms this weekend for it.

Edited by hanau