Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My feeds and speeds still suck lol what is the RPM for the face mill again? On 416 stainless and I was using a 90° cutter at 800-900 last night when my stuff messed up. To deep of a cut for one and I forgot to re lock the head <---dumb a$$ lol

Yeah I have seen his vids just the detail in slide set up is not there. I learn from seeing I guess. I have a hard time repeating the same cut from one side of the slide to the next (ie, tri topping etc). OG and I have talked about this more than once lol.

Also does anyone have a good list of steps or a video on slide mounting/indexing in the vise? I'm basically just leveling both axis with a level after squaring the vise with my dial indictator

I get better results indicating in the slide not the vise, the top and bottom of a 1911 slide are not parallel. Are you tri topping with one setup or resetting for both sides ?

Well at the moment I have only been working on glock strikers, GLOCK and LoneWolf slides (which are not equal square or anything else lol unless I'm setting up wrong) the cuts never look dead on equal with my eyes. It'll take more of a cut on one side than the other to get the 45° bevel to even look close to the same. I am waiting on doing my 1911 slide until I know I can get it right if that makes sense. It's not the machine it's me I always make sure my vise is square before I start anything.

To answer the question on set up I bought a 90° cutter after seeing a guy here post about it and only having to set up once and just cut both sides and I have also tried the set up for ea side which was really sloppy with that one using and angle vise. I figured the one set up using the 90° cutter would have been easier (it would have been if I hadn't made my stupid rookie mistake last night) but even then it didn't "look" exact as the other side.

yea you have to indicate off the slide to get it level, took me a good 30 min to do that yesterday on my slide. that 90 degree cutter is also ripping off big chunks of metal, I would be taking small cuts with it on a hobby sized mill.

also, my clamping solution is not recommended lol. It's not very rigid

edit: indicate the vise AND then indicate the slide once it is on your fixture

Edited by amish_rabbi

Make an angle block for the slide out of aluminum. You want it at the exact angle and height for the top of the slide. Make the block a little narrower than the slide and long enough to go from the spring tunnel to the back end. Put a slide in the vise, resting on the bottom and the alum. block on top of it with a shim on one side to make it wider than the slide. Mill the top of the alum. flat with an end mill or face mill.

You now have a setup block with the exact taper to make the top of the slide level just by placing it under the slide in the vise. No measuring required.

Make an angle block for the slide out of aluminum. You want it at the exact angle and height for the top of the slide. Make the block a little narrower than the slide and long enough to go from the spring tunnel to the back end. Put a slide in the vise, resting on the bottom and the alum. block on top of it with a shim on one side to make it wider than the slide. Mill the top of the alum. flat with an end mill or face mill.

You now have a setup block with the exact taper to make the top of the slide level just by placing it under the slide in the vise. No measuring required.

Pics?

That is an awesome tip! Thanks!

That is an awesome tip! Thanks!

I'm lost how will this maintain repeatable cuts