Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom Quad Load

I had the chance to work with some of Tim Ubls Quad Load carriers and thought I would post a little review. I have not seen much written about this product.

Tim sent me two of these shell holders at my request because I wanted to see if I could handle the "quad load". When I got the product I stuck them on some ELS clips angled so that I could make the grasp easier, then started to play.

I am hoping this short video of loading 8 shells comes through here. This was my third time trying this reload so I did not try any sort of timing of the reload. Shortly after this video was taken I did do some timed reloads that put it at the 4.10 second mark for 8 rounds reloaded and I think with more practice getting under the 4.0 second mark should be no problem.

And for those that question, I do use live ammo for reload practice. I do recommend that you remove the firing pin from the bolt, but more importantly I never run a live round into the chamber. Even unloading the shotgun is done through the loading port. The reason I use live ammo is because due to long Minnesota winters, I tend to practice shotgun reloads a lot. Even dummy shells get to the point they can no longer be used because they get beat up. With live ammo, when they start to get beat up I just take them to the range and shoot them up.

I hope this gets through.

IMG_0055.MOV

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got one of these from Tim also. Works pretty good for me (I'm not super fast on the shotgun reloading, still working on it), the quad load is faster for me than the shuffle though. (Still working with a borrowed shotgun, so no videos... :( )

Great loading. I had seen a video of someone dropping the gun down and loading with the weak hand, did you compare that to your method. It seems like your method is faster, but you might not be able to look the rounds into the loading port. Maybe not an issue. Just wondering.

rpd

That video was from some of my first trys at loading this way. I have been a weak hand loader since I started 3-gun in 2006. I never thought I would find anything that would push me to switch to something else unless I switched to open. Last night I had the PAR time set at 3.7 seconds for loading eight rounds and had no trouble beating that time using this new method. Keeping in mind I was just standing in my living room and working on nothing but speed reloads, but up here in MN with the weather at -20 degrees there isn't a whole lot else I can do with the shotgun. As a reference I set the PAR time at 4.7 seconds for my weak hand reloads for eight rounds.

I leave the shotgun up on the shoulder like that because I can move and load easier. I don't know if it is faster or slower than dropping the gun down or not, it just seems more natural for me this way. I also never take my grip off of the forearm, I just turn the shotgun over as far as I can, and that leaves the loading port in a nice location for me to watch the reloads take place. I have also seen people spin the shotgun completely upside down onto the shoulder but that left me holding the barrel in my weak hand palm and I didn't think I would enjoy that so much during a long shotgun course of fire. The way I do it was the only way I could think of that kept at least one hand in constant contact with the weapon.

As with anything you read on the internet - Your Mileage May Very. Good luck.

Edited by Brian Payne

Thanks. I hear you about the temperature. Not quite -20 here in Chicago area, but close enough for me.

I'm going to have to try the method you use. I like how you keep at least one hand in position and it also seemed like it is more conducive to keeping the muzzle pointed where you are looking. You just need to look at the next target and you are already pointing in the right direction. Thanks again for the videos, they've given me some things to try and work on.

Finally broke 6 seconds for a load 8, and I mean BARELY. But hey, I will take it.

Still having issues with the initial grab as well as not following through so I get a nice ghost load 6 rounds in heh.

Edited by JesseCJC

I'm loving mine , but i'm still slow on the quad. I'm thinking having slightly smaller hands is making it a bit harder. I can load 2 super fast , but only individually , i find i have to move my hand perpendicular to the loading port to push both shells all the way in before i get to the 2nd set of shells, while still keeping a hand on the 2 remaining shells. Any advice Brian , Tim ?

No expert here by any means, but when I started I had to do the same thing. I am running an M2 and when I opened up the loading port (with files and polishing wheel) just a bit more, it started going better. The handguard on the M2 does not get in the way at all, I don't know about any of the other shotguns and how they would work.

It seemed that once you hit a good one, they start coming much faster after that. I must be pushing my shells in with just the ourside edge of my thumb, there is a nice blister at about the 10:00 position on my thumb as you hold your thumb up in front of you with the thumb nail facing you.

I started with PAR at 5.0 seconds and within a couple of practice session I was hitting 3.3 second PAR times. It will get better.

ambluemax,

No I haven't tried them on the chest rig. I have one of the original Mark Otto chest rigs with four Otto carriers set for weak hand reloads and this is what I normally run all of the time. I got the Quadloads just to have another way to load if needed. I didn't expect to like it so much. I leave the Quadloads set as they are from the factory as to how tight they hold the shells. I have to yank them off of the holder and I don't think they would work with my chest rig set like that, plus going prone in a stage could be even more of a problem.