Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference in Major vs. Minor

bierman

I've been shooting USPSA, off and on, since 2005. Almost all of it has been in Production, shooting Minor pf ammo. Shot my second match in Revolver using Major pf ammo yesterday. Had a ton of fun, did not do as well has hoped, but both my hands feel like someone whacked all my knuckles with a sledgehammer today. Never experienced that with the Production rig. Major pf 45 acp out of a wheelgun is a whole different animal. Gonna require a period of adjustment, I think.

Shooting a wheel gun is a differnet animal. I never could shoot a revolver well, but then I never really wanted to. But yes you will probably need some time to adjust. It took me 3 club matches to get used to my STI tactical from my glock 35.

Edited by Ash1012

Nearly everyone who's serious about shooting revolver uses nice soft hand loads in the <175 PF range. I shot around 500 rounds of factory .45 (>200 PF) in my 625 at a class and it sucked. A lot.

The standard 230 gr RN with Clays powder gives a nice firm push and is pleasant to shoot all day.

I agree with jester. 3.9 grains of clays over a 230 gr round nose makes major for me with ease (172pf) and people joke all the time with me about squibs. I chrono'ed Winchester white box thru my gun and was hitting 192pf.

My wife shoots a 625 also and shoots our loads all day long. Factory ammo is way too hot and yes, unpleasant for a big match.

Yeah that's likely too much. With a 4" barrel 625 I was hitting 178 last year with 4.1 grains, 230 gr plated, I've backed it down down to 3.8 but haven't chrono'ed it yet. I think it will do just fine. I remember someone in the reloading forum saying that Clays is spiky, i.e. it gets real hot real fast as you go above 4 grains.

If you can't see your 230 gr bullet flying through the air, it's going too fast. :roflol:

Jester you are right on about Clays spiking. That is the only thing that you have to watch with it. Also why a lot of people don't recomend it for higher pressure rounds like 40 from what I have read on it. I do like it for Major 45 along with Ramshot Competition for the same reason soft recoil vs. speed.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Nearly everyone who's serious about shooting revolver uses nice soft hand loads in the <175 PF range. I shot around 500 rounds of factory .45 (>200 PF) in my 625 at a class and it sucked. A lot.

The standard 230 gr RN with Clays powder gives a nice firm push and is pleasant to shoot all day.

Soft.

While 195-200 pf is pretty far past the threshold of "why am I even bothering to do this" for more than 6 rounds, there just isn't any soft in a 625 making major.

Revolvers suck when making major, that is a fact.

Edited by seanc

+1 for 3.9 Clays over 230 LRN. And when Clays dried up last year I found 4.1 WST to be identical.

I normally shoot those through a 1911, but my 625JM spits them out nicely on the odd occasion it comes out to play. I'm not experienced enough at revolver to be giving much feedback there. There's definitely more recoil coming your way, but I didn't find it distracting or painful at ~150 round count matches. But there was enough going on that I'd probably be crying like a baby at the end of a 300 round day, hehehe.

Mainly wanted to share the WST formula since I haven't seen Clays coming through again yet.

With a revolver shooting major loads, you can forget about all that pitty-pat stuff like "hold the gun like you're shaking hands" and "let the gun recoil."

You have no reciprocating slide to absorb energy or impart a downward push. The only thing controlling the recoil is your grip and the musculature behind it.

Grab the gun with your strong hand and hang on as hard as you can. Then wrap your weak around that and hang on as hard as you can. Get your shoulders out in front of your pelvis and lean into it.

• 4 months later...

I found that grips made a bigger difference in shooting my 625 than load tweaking did. Big fat something to hang onto grips. Never have figured out how Jerry shoots those slim, thin, smooth grips and does so well. X Grips or the Hogue Big Butts help greatly. Some of the Nils Grips if you have lots of cash.

"Grab the gun with your strong hand and hang on as hard as you can. Then wrap your weak around that and hang on as hard as you can. Get your shoulders out in front of your pelvis and lean into it. " Now that is a bit of advice. And applies to more than just shooting a Revolver!

I shot my 625 with the stock Hogue finger groove grips, and it was irritating because spreading my fingers apart makes me suck at recoil management.

I shot it some more with Eagle Secret Service grips, which did not get as much skin on the gun, but helped my fingers be positioned well.

I shot it even more with the smooth rubber Hogues, and bingo. Sack up and squeeze that thing like it stood your little sister up for a date.

• 2 weeks later...

I found that grips made a bigger difference in shooting my 625 than load tweaking did. Big fat something to hang onto grips. Never have figured out how Jerry shoots those slim, thin, smooth grips and does so well. X Grips or the Hogue Big Butts help greatly. Some of the Nils Grips if you have lots of cash.

"Grab the gun with your strong hand and hang on as hard as you can. Then wrap your weak around that and hang on as hard as you can. Get your shoulders out in front of your pelvis and lean into it. " Now that is a bit of advice. And applies to more than just shooting a Revolver!

I'll second this advice. The narrow Miculek grip hurts to shoot very much with a major pf load. At the moment I am using the Pachymar Presentation grip because it is soft enough to absorb recoil but also gives enough surface area to get both hands on the grip. The only down side is the rubber is a bit too tacky and makes reloading a little more difficult. Also, if you've noticed, Jerry doesn't always use the Miculek grip anymore.