Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pants or Shorts for shooting a match in the rain and mud?

bobby hated

shooting my first big match in the rain this weekend in phoenix (western states single stack classic) and its forecast to rain.

i've shot a few big matches already but not in the rain.

is it better to wear pants and hope they dont get to muddy or to just wear shorts and say FTW get muddy!?

also how do you clean mags when they fall in the mud?

I was going to do a search for you and pull up some similar threads, but it is 17 degrees here and I'm not yet warmed up. Plus, it took me an hour to get to work (about double time) due to the fresh ice/snow this morning...so I lost that time.

In other words...GDIAF. :devil:

Good luck at the match. :):)

With the mid 60s and the surfaces they have there, I'd say wear shorts. If you can get a pair of rain pants that are thin with an elastic waist, all the better.

Single stacks, brushes and a bucket of water is what I have found works best. A small air compressor would be nice too...

Don't bag the gun if you can avoid it. Hotel room wipe downs mandatory.

Good luck out there!

I always wear pants, I find them more comfortable, normally old blue BDU style. But that's just me. I would highly recommend breaking down your gun and mags asap after you get home and dry then clean them. I waited 2 days last year.... never again!!

Please Barry, it's gonna take awhile to get that visual out of my head.

post-14972-0-01941500-1359142867_thumb.j

FWIW, I offered to buy kilts for the rest of the team, but they turned me down for some reason.

BB

Edited by bbbean

Goretex booties over my feet and inside my shoes. FroggTogg raingear. I keep reasonably dry. If it's cold out though, ugh...

Yes on taking care of your gear as soon as you get home.

Yes on rinsing out glock mags (did it several times at the Mud Bowl Nats).

Shorts as long as the weather is warm enough. I always have extra spare mags with me. If I do expect rain, then I will always have extra shop rags with me and at the end of the match, I will dissasemble my guns, and spray everything down with Kroil or WD40 until I get back home and get a chance to clean everything up.