Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire ULSC ?

limited 10

I'm going to try some SC rimfire next month.

According to these rules:

5.3.8.1: Centerfire self-loaders – release the slide and pull the trigger (without touching the hammer or de- cocker, if any).

5.3.8.2: Rimfire self-loaders, as above

We are supposed to drop the hammer on an empty chamber?

Not a problem with my Ruger.

Not sure I want to start peening the chamber on my 41 tho...

The vast majority of modern rimfires can be dryfired with absolutely no harm. Let's not let myths jeopardize safety.

If you have a MkIII Ruger with the magazine safety, look into getting a bushing (Volquartsen, Bams, etc.) that removes the mag safety, improves trigger pull and makes take-down easier. That way you don't have to put an empty magazine in to go hammer down.

Although modern rimfires may be dry fired these days, not all contestants use modern arms,

and to "teach the old dogs new tricks/rules" can be a battle (been there, living it :rolleyes: )

IMO SC needs to have a chamber flag rule for the folks who just refuse to pull the trigger on

an empty .22 chamber and RO's who demand they do it.

Let's the mag safety folks move along a little quicker too.

Over this past summer we had this same problem with a few shooters at the local SC matches,

most supplied a plastic rod of a visible color (yellow & orange iirc) to insert in the chamber and

down the barrel, the slide was usually left locked back and then placed back in the case the gun

was brought to the line in.

Or as mentioned earlier, let the RO do the job of inspecting the chamber and safety of the firearm

and after it's bagged it shouldn't be an issue.

Just an opinion.

DaveP

The vast majority of modern rimfires can be dryfired with absolutely no harm. Let's not let myths jeopardize safety.

If you have a MkIII Ruger with the magazine safety, look into getting a bushing (Volquartsen, Bams, etc.) that removes the mag safety, improves trigger pull and makes take-down easier. That way you don't have to put an empty magazine in to go hammer down.

Can you specify which ones? The only one I know of who has a firing pin stop is the Mark III. And since I only know of one Mark III out of about 20 that show up regularly, that's not enough to change what we do. Also, I have broken, cracked, and chipped my firing pins along with peening the crap out of the face so I learned from these mistakes, not from rumor or reading it elsewhere. Thanks

I have broken two firing pins on Rimfire guns. I use to always say "ah that dryfire damage is a myth". we'll its not a myth to me after two broken firing pins into different guns.

Just let people insert a chamber flag and bag it. A chamber-flag assures safety well enough, doesn't it?

I've broken springs and firing pins in rimfire pistols too; one of them was a Ruger MK II.

I limit dropping a hammer on an empty chamber. It has to be done to field strip it. Outside of that purpose, I'd rather not.

In our local matches I've not asked people to dry fire rimfire pistols. I scrutinize the chamber and mag well, then have them stow the pistol.

Magazine disconnectors complicate the process because usually we have a shooter with several half empty mags (none completely empty). We do not endorse using partially depleted magazines to deactivate the mag disconnect so they can drop the hammer.

Some of the AR conversion kits don't have a functional way to hold the bolt open when the mag is out of the rifle. I've handed out large, white cable ties (cheap and readily available) as chamber flags. One end entering the ejection port and passing into the empty magazine well. Works for pistols too.

I have two Model 41s and will not dry fire them. The other option is a snap cap to drop the FP on. I have never owned a RF snap cap so I really don't know if that is a viable option.

http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Chamber-Plugs__LGI.aspx

for the $10 you get 10 chamber/dry fire plugs. You can put one in the chamber, drop the slide, and then pull the trigger.

No harm to the gun.

This is from the 2013 provisional rule book on the steel challenge website. Only centerfire handguns need to drop the hammer. Rimfire and revolvers just show clear and stow.

“If clear, hammer down and holster” After issuance of this command, the competitor is prohibited from firing. While continuing to point the handgun safely downrange,

the competitor must perform a final safety check of the handgun as follows:

1. Centerfire self-loaders – release the slide and pull the trigger (without touching the hammer or de- cocker, if any).

2. Rimfire self-loaders, show clear and holster or case.

3. Revolvers: close the empty cylinder (without touching the hammer, if any).

4. If the gun proves to be clear, the competitor must holster or bag their handgun.

5. If the gun does not prove to be clear, the Range Of- ficial will resume the commands from Rule “If you are finished” rule 5.7.

Edited by de03x7

• 4 weeks later...