Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I have a back up gun for matches?

cyprant

I have heard people mention their back up guns at matches and I wonder how many people actually have a back up. I run a Glock 34 and I feel I should either buy a parts kit for repairs, or maybe even find a back up gun to bring along. What do you think?

Is there a parts kit of frequently used parts out there for glocks?

the most safe option is to have a backup gun, so you can concentrate on the match instead of repairing your gun in time for the next stage, and if your gun breaks it's always something that is not in your spare parts kit.

i never had a backup gun, but i always go to matches with a friend wich has exactly the same gun as me, so when my gun breaks i will use his and vice versa, both guns work with all of our magazines, we load the same ammo, and the zero for him and me is almost the same.

the only spare parts that i had with me, was a spare firing pin, spare extractor, spare magazine + spare basepads, springs and followers, and a cmore battery.

I would just buy another glock, honestly how much are they? By the time you add up everything else involved with going to a level 2 or 3 match whats another few hundred. Even if its not a 34 as long as it uses the same ammo and mags reliably you will be able to finish your match. Or snag a new 34 and build it identical to your match gun.

I shoot mostly 3 gun and if I could afford it I would have identical kits but my backup guns aren't nearly as snazzy as my match guns. But they will get me to the finish line if need be. Besides with a spare glock you could always mine it for parts if need be instead of having a parts kit.

I have been thinking about this myself. The conclusion that I have come to is that if I am going to be traveling (i.e, area matches and such a couple of times per year) then it makes sense to have a back up gun. If I was only going to be shooting club matches and a sectional match then I would go with a spare parts kit. It would suck pretty bad to spend $ on travel and lodging and have my gun break at a match and not be able to finish.

Wait, I thought your backup gun was supposed to be the one that was at the special well known gunsmith's for the last six months having something done before it gets sent to the other gunsmith's. Then when you get it back it doesn't feed, so you send it to another gunsmiths for another six months?

I carry a backup gun when going to sanctioned matches, but seldom take it to a local club match. Both are basically identical. I have never needed it, but just knowing it is there is comforting.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Wait, I thought your backup gun was supposed to be the one that was at the special well known gunsmith's for the last six months having something done before it gets sent to the other gunsmith's. Then when you get it back it doesn't feed, so you send it to another gunsmiths for another six months?

No no no... that's my main gun. Otherwise it's not a very good excuse, just complaining that my "backup" gun is off having work done on it doesn't get my any sympathy.

The backup is the one I bitch out after I screw up a stage, muttering about how much better I'll shoot when my main gun gets back from XYZ.

I was told right from the beginning. "If you can't afford two guns for your division, you can't shoot that division". I just picked up my second m&p even though nothing has ever broken on the first one and 3 extra slides. So I'll have 2 slides for open, two slides for limited and two receivers. Everything combined all setup the same is still cheaper than a 2011 custom gun and gives me technically 4 guns over 2 divisions. Now I just have to worry about the shooting and not the gun.

Can you recommend a parts kit for a glock 34?

Striker springs (Wolff reduced power only if you shoot Federal primers) and a bag of "stock" trigger springs. The trigger springs are, in my experience, the weakest part of an otherwise excellent design.

Might not hurt to keep another recoil spring handy while at matches either.

The only other thing that I've seen fail on a Glock 34 at matches is when something crazy like an improperly installed front sight goes flying off during a stage. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have another one of those in the range bag too, along with fiber optic pipe, if your sight is equipped with one.

I bought a second 34 for my daughter this week already set up like her first 34 for major matches. In the past we had only lost a front sight but I think it's a good investment.

Edited by kellymc

I was told right from the beginning. "If you can't afford two guns for your division, you can't shoot that division". I just picked up my second m&p even though nothing has ever broken on the first one and 3 extra slides. So I'll have 2 slides for open, two slides for limited and two receivers. Everything combined all setup the same is still cheaper than a 2011 custom gun and gives me technically 4 guns over 2 divisions. Now I just have to worry about the shooting and not the gun.

This is how I approach it as well, if I can't afford two nearly identical setup guns to shoot that division, then I shouldn't shoot it, it's turned out to be damned expensive sport lol

No no no... that's my main gun. Otherwise it's not a very good excuse, just complaining that my "backup" gun is off having work done on it doesn't get my any sympathy.

The backup is the one I bitch out after I screw up a stage, muttering about how much better I'll shoot when my main gun gets back from XYZ.

Hahaha now I know what to do!

Edited by -Ace-

This is how I approach it as well, if I can't afford two nearly identical setup guns to shoot that division, then I shouldn't shoot it, it's turned out to be damned expensive sport lol

Yeah it's amazing how the money just gets sucked out of you. I used to think hockey was an expensive sport. I'm in the locker room tonight with the guys and we're bitching over getting new $300 skates. Yet at 2 in the morning I'll spend more than that just on bullets from MG that I'll shoot in a single month just dicking around on the range. Those skates would last for years...

Actually, I think I have every small part in a couple small Dillon boxes, except the slide, barrel and stripped frame. Another exception is having Glock factory sights instead of the fixed Warren/Sevigny's actually mounted (drifting in and zeroing a fixed rear is a no go, whereas the plastic adjustable factory rear I figure shouldn't be too bad to set up). I do have extra FO for the aftermkt sights.

I haven't bought factory parts for a few years, but I think everything together was under a C note.

Realistically, springs and sights and guide rods are just about the only parts I've had or heard of going out.

Edited by kevin c

There is no way I would drive to a Match without having a backup gun in the car. Same ammo and same mags.

The gun is my carry when I am driving, stop for lunch etc and I've had numerous times when it has become the gun i end up shooting.

As I shoot only Single Stack and Production it an easy choice V being in Open.

I have heard people mention their back up guns at matches and I wonder how many people actually have a back up. I run a Glock 34 and I feel I should either buy a parts kit for repairs, or maybe even find a back up gun to bring along. What do you think?

I think having a back up gun is a good idea... that way you don't need to worry about parts. Just bring an extra gun.

If you are super serious, having 2 guns setup the same is a normal thing to have and I think it makes sense. Personally I bring my "practice" gun along to matches in case my "match" gun breaks.

I agree with Ben. I bring identical "Twins" to every match. I don't care for the parts idea because I usually would be in a rush to repair or replace and I might not do a good job on the work and it seems risky. My vote (like Ben's) is to bring an identical gun provided you can afford it.

Realistically, springs and sights and guide rods are just about the only parts I've had or heard of going out.

Thats no joke on the springs. And at least have one extra front sight and necessary tool to install in your bag with you. You'll be amazed how many rounds you'll put thru a gun in competitive shooting, and things break. Anything that can wear down, wear out, or break, will....

I just purchased a G34 myself, and am already working on trading another pistol for one more. I think once you have a platform you are resigned to or enamored with, it is best to have a back up gun that closely resembles your current set up. Got an issue at the Nationals or an Area match with your pistol? Viola! There in your range bag is another just like it!

Just means no more going home grumpy 'cause your pistol crapped out on you.

Another thing, if you have a kid that is shooting too, it is great to be able to teach them on a very similar if not exact platform also. Like teaching grammar in the same language if you know what I mean.

JZ

Edited by JimmyZip

I started uspsa by shooting the same gun I carry when camping or riding with the dogs. I got a newer version of the same gun with a more competition-oriented trigger job, so the old one is still my camping/travel gun, and now does double-duty as a backup. I'm not really concerned that the trigger isn't quite as crisp. I just don't want to have something go wrong far from home and have to dnf a match.

My strategy may not be appropriate for open division shooters. IT's hard to find a good IWB holster for those rigs.

Edited by motosapiens

I shoot a 35, and carry a 23, so I have a backup gun with me.

I have actually used the 23 at several matches before I purchased my 35. So I know it can use it if needed. And I can use my mags from my 35 in my 23

You may want to look for a good used 19 to have as a backup, of course you could probably find a used 34 for the same price.

In matches, I've seen Glock trigger return springs break a few times, and also the part that holds the slide on (which was hilarious).

I have near identical backups for my Production guns, my CDP/Single Stack guns, my revos, my ARs, but not my Ltd gun. I generally take a backup to every match except club matches that involve a flight (on vacation). So far I haven't needed them when I had them, but have needed them when i didn't have them.