Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long (OAL) a cartridge can CZ mags take?

jmbaccolyte

I have read that in CZs the O.A.L. limitation is the chamber length, not the magazine. Assuming I have the chamber reamed to match the maximum length that the magazine will accept; how long a cartridge can I run?

I read somewhere that the SAAMI maximum O.A.L. for 9x19mm is 1.6" something, but that the CZ chambers won't accept that; will the mags accept that OAL?

With CZ pistols, you will tend to get problems with feeding long before your magazines have a problem. It doesn't tend to be the chamber, but the distance between the breech face and the feed ramp at the beginning of the feed cycle. Longer OALs will tend to nosedive as the round is so long that it cams too hard against the feed ramp as the case slides up under the extractor.

My apologies, the maximum SAAMI OAL is 1.169" for the 9x19mm. I know that carelessness can cause injuries, sorry.

JimmyZip-

Thanks. Maybe I could experiment with the bullet ogive and OAL to improve the feeding problem.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Yeah, I had a TS, and I found that it preferred a shorter OAL.Since then I have found many of my friends who shoot CZ autos that are based on the 75 run them closer to SAAMI minimums or to factory specs. You figure, if it doesn't get into the barrel, it can't even begin to show it's accuracy.

depends which gun....my shadow function well at 1.100aol,any longer than 1.110 may cause FTF's depending the bullit profile>weight. i shoot 147 zeros.

in my TS in .40, i keep it at 1.135 aol. shadow's chambers works well with shorter aol ;at least mine does.

as example, i load 1.130 for my G17, and there's still some room left for a little longer aol.

Depends on the bullet shape. In my SP01 I normally load Montana Gold 124FMJ to 1.150. I have NEVER had an issue with this OAL, none. Recently I had an issue with my press and found out I was loading longer than I thought. So i can tell you that the MG 124FMJ can be loaded out to 1.163 and still not have an issue.

As for JHP's and 147 FMJ's, whole other story. When I was loading Zero 124JHPs, I believe the OAL was 1.015". If I went out to 1.017" it would not pass the barrel drop test.

The CZ's have a shorter free bore. The distance from the end of the chamber to the start of the lands. The 115/124 FMJ's usually are GTG at any length. 147 FMJ and 124JHP need to be loaded much shorter.

Depends on the bullet shape. In my SP01 I normally load Montana Gold 124FMJ to 1.150. I have NEVER had an issue with this OAL, none. Recently I had an issue with my press and found out I was loading longer than I thought. So i can tell you that the MG 124FMJ can be loaded out to 1.163 and still not have an issue.

Thanks- that's the answer I was looking for!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been limited more by what will chamber than by mag length. I wouldn't go past SAAMI max length (1.169) in any case.

1.150 (1.165 will engage rifling) for Berry's RN or 1.085 (1.100 will engage rifling) for MG 124 JHP are my go-to lengths. My chamber seems to be extra-tight, but I can't argue with the results!

• 2 weeks later...

As previously stated for the Shadow it depends on bullet profile. 121s I load at 1.1. My 160 Bayous with a very different profile I can load to 1.160. With my TS the limiting dimension is the magazine. You can not reliably go beyond 1.135 to 1.140 with any profile before the rounds start jamming in the mag.

I think there is some confusion over OAL numbers. This might be due to my loading for varmint rifles more than anything else, but here goes;

The OAL to fit in a magazine is pretty much fixed; it fits, or it doesn't. Might load, might not.

The OAL of the load is going to chamber or not depending on where the ogive of the bullet meets the throat. By this I mean the point where the bullet begins to taper down towards the nose. The distance from the tip of the bullet to the ogive changes depending on the profile of the bullet. Picture a full wadcutter - no ogive, full cylinder. Now picture a VLD rifle bullet - lots of taper from the point to where the bullet's full profile starts.

I guess what I am trying to say is that OAL doesn't seem to be a magic number as a short stubby bullet can have the same OAL as a longer tapered bullet but one works and one doesn't.

This page explains the variables very well (for the 38 Super round). I was surprised to find that shorter rounds are more likely to stop with the rim just starting into the extractor. Many details about ogive and angles too: http://www.38super.net/Pages/Overall%20Length.html

Used the advice here about OAL 1.080 to 1.085 & have had zero failures of any kind with my two Shadows (~1500 rounds so far).

This page explains the variables very well (for the 38 Super round). I was surprised to find that shorter rounds are more likely to stop with the rim just starting into the extractor. Many details about ogive and angles too: http://www.38super.n...all Length.html

Used the advice here about OAL 1.080 to 1.085 & have had zero failures of any kind with my two Shadows (~1500 rounds so far).

Yikes, all one would ever want to know about OAL and magazines, what a great article

thanks

As for JHP's and 147 FMJ's, whole other story. When I was loading Zero 124JHPs, I believe the OAL was 1.015". If I went out to 1.017" it would not pass the barrel drop test.

can you explain how you do the barrel drop test ?

Take the barrel out of your gun. Hold it straight up and down. Drop a bullet into the chamber. Turn the barrel 180 degrees to dump the bullet out. if it falls out, good to go. If it is stuck, or pauses for a second then drops out, the bullet ogive is hitting the lands. Back off the OAL by small increments, like .002, until it drops free.